PDA

View Full Version : Old problem? - new user

Stevedon
13-10-2005, 22:00
I have a problem viewing certain web pages - I work on a laptop - at work, these pages are fine - at home, using NTL Broadband I get an error "cannot find server". Wouldn't be an issue normally - but the pages I need to access are reference sites for an MBA I am doing - so it is a big problem.

I looked through the forum and tried accessing some of the links which indicate they can give me some assistance - but guess what - i get a "cannot find server" message...

Any ideas?

Rooked
13-10-2005, 22:04
sounds to me you have an issue with secure webpages, are you able to get into any https:// sites i.e hotmail, online banking etc?

If not your first port of call should be your firewall..

danielf
13-10-2005, 22:04
I have a problem viewing certain web pages - I work on a laptop - at work, these pages are fine - at home, using NTL Broadband I get an error "cannot find server". Wouldn't be an issue normally - but the pages I need to access are reference sites for an MBA I am doing - so it is a big problem.

I looked through the forum and tried accessing some of the links which indicate they can give me some assistance - but guess what - i get a "cannot find server" message...

Any ideas?

Can you get to this one?

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/trancache.html#sidestep

It explains how to change your proxy server.

Stevedon
13-10-2005, 22:10
yes - online banking no problem

the sites I have to access just time out after 20 seconds or so - like I said, its only certain sites - like the ones need...

Tried changing proxy - tried a few differant areas - checked and checked again - no joy...

Which is my web proxy cache?

i tried the two links - timed out...

Rooked
13-10-2005, 22:14
download Firefox...... give that a try

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

Stevedon
13-10-2005, 22:20
download Firefox...... give that a try

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

Tried - got through to the web page - hit the download button - timed out.

Like I said, I have no problem accesing through my laptop at work - only when I plug into my NTL line.????

Rooked
13-10-2005, 22:28
are you able to right click on the link and save target as?

Stevedon
13-10-2005, 22:32
are you able to right click on the link and save target as?

Just tried - I got a "Internet explorer cannot download" - " a connection to the server could not be established"

just out of curiosity - I mentioned I can access the sites through this laptop using my work ADSL - surely I should be able to use IE to access the same site via NTL Broadnband?

Rooked
13-10-2005, 22:34
Just tried - I got a "Internet explorer cannot download" - " a connection to the server could not be established"

just out of curiosity - I mentioned I can access the sites through this laptop using my work ADSL - surely I should be able to use IE to access the same site via NTL Broadnband?

you would think so ....

Stevedon
13-10-2005, 22:39
you would think so ....

Well my rooked friend - seems like only you available to offer advice - I am gong to give this 24 hours, go to work, download the link you suggested, take it home and try it out.

If I can't get this resolved I am off to another supplier - I have used BT Broadband previously - never had this much trouble accessing sites like I have with NTL Broadband.

I will let you know how I get on tomorrow.

Thanks

homealone
13-10-2005, 22:54

I can think of one member here who successfully uses both an ADSL & cable connection, so it is possible to do - however there may be changes to the settings required - I have cable, it works like a network connection, my ill informed idea of ADSL is that it has to still 'dial up' in some way????

<edit> in which case the 'dial when network connection not present' option in tools/internet options/connections dialogue, may be relevant?

carter
14-10-2005, 01:04
Yeah, you might want to go to the connections section of internet options.

In my experience, these problems are usually down to the LAN settings.

Usually it's set to use automatic configuration script or to use a proxy server.

If it's either of those you'll need to disable it whenever you have ntl plugged in.

14-10-2005, 02:55
out of curiosity...as the connection is fine at work..on adsl...and doesnt work at home... on ntl... i'm wondering how the laptop has been setup. if its a works laptop, or has been setup by your companies tech guys, they may have set up specific dns settings in the tcp/ip settings???
you can check these by going to network connections in the control panel, open up the lan connection, highlight the tcp/ip and click on properties. the IP address and DNS address should both be automatic. although to be honest, i aint sure if non ntl dns addresses have been specified, and your on an ntl connection, if that would allow you to get to some sites but not others??

Stevedon
14-10-2005, 07:13
out of curiosity...as the connection is fine at work..on adsl...and doesnt work at home... on ntl... i'm wondering how the laptop has been setup. if its a works laptop, or has been setup by your companies tech guys, they may have set up specific dns settings in the tcp/ip settings???
you can check these by going to network connections in the control panel, open up the lan connection, highlight the tcp/ip and click on properties. the IP address and DNS address should both be automatic. although to be honest, i aint sure if non ntl dns addresses have been specified, and your on an ntl connection, if that would allow you to get to some sites but not others??

ip and dns are automatically assigned - for both work and NTL Broadband. I have no problem visiting sites like google, BBC, .....etc - I have a problem when I try and visit a site which is not so famous or highly frequented.

Yeah, you might want to go to the connections section of internet options.

In my experience, these problems are usually down to the LAN settings.

Usually it's set to use automatic configuration script or to use a proxy server.

If it's either of those you'll need to disable it whenever you have ntl plugged in.

They are disabled for both work and NTL Broadband.

Is this not something to do with the way NTL handle their service? - I have been doing some searching through other posts and their seems to be a strong relation to Proxy servers? - other forum members have commented on problems encountered which bear a strong resemblance to situation I find myself in...

carter
14-10-2005, 07:51
ip and dns are automatically assigned - for both work and NTL Broadband. I have no problem visiting sites like google, BBC, .....etc - I have a problem when I try and visit a site which is not so famous or highly frequented.

They are disabled for both work and NTL Broadband.

Is this not something to do with the way NTL handle their service? - I have been doing some searching through other posts and their seems to be a strong relation to Proxy servers? - other forum members have commented on problems encountered which bear a strong resemblance to situation I find myself in...

It doesn't matter if they're disabled or not. If there are proxies in your advanced section of "use a proxy server" section then it can cause problem. Regardless of whether or not its disabled, check if anything is in the advanced section and if it is, remove it. It's worth a look at least.

KevAmiga
14-10-2005, 08:51
Almost 100% sounds like a proxy issue to me.

What proxie's have you tried to specify within LAN settings?

Cheers

Kev

Stevedon
14-10-2005, 09:33
It doesn't matter if they're disabled or not. If there are proxies in your advanced section of "use a proxy server" section then it can cause problem. Regardless of whether or not its disabled, check if anything is in the advanced section and if it is, remove it. It's worth a look at least.

Hi Carter,

No - no proxy settings/addresses in there.

What proxie's have you tried to specify within LAN settings?

Cheers

Kev

Hi Kev,

I took a look at the NTL site and also sites pertaining to NTL proxy servers. I input the 8080 string and tried several differant regions (Guildford...etc) . What happened then was a complete loss of internet access - when I went back to the default, i got access back - but still the problem whereby I can't access sites which I can readily access at work through the Bt account we have.

I literally have just logged on to one of the websites relating to the study I need to carry out and i had no problem. Last night I was tearing my hair out as NTL Broadband kept giving me a "page not found" error.

SMHarman
14-10-2005, 11:20
How does the ADSL connection connect to your laptop? Ethernet, wireless or USB.
How does the NTL connection connect to your laptop? Ethernet, wireless or USB.
Would you be prepared to share the site name you cannot connect to?

Stevedon
14-10-2005, 12:41
How does the ADSL connection connect to your laptop? Ethernet, wireless or USB.
How does the NTL connection connect to your laptop? Ethernet, wireless or USB.
Would you be prepared to share the site name you cannot connect to?

Hi SMHarman

Thanks for asking - you may have a point.

I use USB at home - ethernet at work

I do have the option to use ethernet at home though. I wil try this later today.

If still no joy, I will post web sites I have problems with (is that allowed) or i can mail you direct. They are nothing special.

Thanks

SMHarman
14-10-2005, 13:40
Are you restarting your laptop between connections, or just putting it to sleep.
Switch the home connection to Ether and your problems might go away, it is a better connection anyway.
Post the sites, mods here only get botherd about links if they are viral or spam or similar.

Stevedon
14-10-2005, 19:11
Are you restarting your laptop between connections, or just putting it to sleep.
Switch the home connection to Ether and your problems might go away, it is a better connection anyway.
Post the sites, mods here only get botherd about links if they are viral or spam or similar.

OK - I have now connection to my NTL Broadband account via ethernet.

Still problems visiting web sites

Below are some of the links:

http://www.creativepro.com/story/news/19088.html

http://www.supersurvey.com/

http://www.eyemg.com

http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/gehani94compose.html

All I did was type a random name into google - in this instance "compose".

with the first one or two pages, I could navigate the links -as soon as I go any further through (p3 or 4 of google for instance) I get the "cannot find server" error on around a third of the links.

Anybody out there can shed some light, I would apperciate. Driving me crazzzzzy.

Thanks

danielf
14-10-2005, 23:45

It was...

Issue resolved here:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=36650