PDA

View Full Version : I need some advice on selling cars for someone else....

Pia
13-10-2005, 20:57
Hello, someone who lives near me has asked me to sell some of his cars for him on ebay, as he doesn't have an account, and i've said 'erm, ok..'.

The thing is, these people are the sort you don't mess with, but i'm told by my friend who is part of their family that the cars are legit, and i've actually seen him driving about in them so i do know he has them.
There is 4 cars in total going for a few grand each, i'm a bit scared of saying no, but at the same time is it really going to affect me?

The reason they want me to do it is because i have a 100% pos reputation on there, even though i only have 98 feedbacks.

What do i do?

danielf
13-10-2005, 21:02
Hello, someone who lives near me has asked me to sell some of his cars for him on ebay, as he doesn't have an account, and i've said 'erm, ok..'.

The thing is, these people are the sort you don't mess with, but i'm told by my friend who is part of their family that the cars are legit, and i've actually seen him driving about in them so i do know he has them.
There is 4 cars in total going for a few grand each, i'm a bit scared of saying no, but at the same time is it really going to affect me?

The reason they want me to do it is because i have a 100% pos reputation on there, even though i only have 98 feedbacks.

What do i do?

I'd steer clear of it. What if the cars are not legit and you are effectively selling them? As you yourself say these are not people you mess with, you could be setting yourself up for a lot of trouble.

Ramrod
13-10-2005, 21:06
I'd steer clear of it. What if the cars are not legit and you are effectively selling them? As you yourself say these are not people you mess with, you could be setting yourself up for a lot of trouble.The trouble is that by saying no to them she is effectively 'messing' with them........

Pia, your best bet might to be to convince them that your PC is broken or that you have lost your internet connection for a while......

danielf
13-10-2005, 21:07
The trouble is that by saying no to them she is effectively 'messing' with them........

True, but it does sound very dodgy...

Pia
13-10-2005, 21:10
The trouble is that by saying no to them she is effectively 'messing' with them........

Pia, your best bet might to be to convince them that your PC is broken or that you have lost your internet connection for a while......

Exactly- i'm a bit wary of saying no. The man rang me tonight and i think he's taken the assumption i'm gonna do it, but all i actually said was that i'd check out the fees and give him an idea of how much it'd cost to list them and with approx FVF's etc..

My only other idea is to offer to help them set up an account and list them on there- but the point was so they didn't have to do it on a new account- getting less bids....

I can't lie to them because i'm quite close to his daughter and she knows whether my internets broken or whatever- and they'd only get me round to do it on there pc instead.

makikomi
13-10-2005, 21:14
you could say that your account was hijacked as a result of a scam you fell for (or a phishing email) and has been suspended/closed down by eBay or that eBay sorted it out, but are monitoring your account closely.

The you could offer to set up an ID for them, but they'll probably find another muppet to do their dodgy work for them.

Pia
13-10-2005, 21:19
you could say that your account was hijacked as a result of a scam you fell for (or a phishing email) and has been suspended/closed down by eBay or that eBay sorted it out, but are monitoring your account closely.

The you could offer to set up an ID for them, but they'll probably find another muppet to do their dodgy work for them.

The thing is, the fact that i'm scaredy makes me not want to lie, cos if they found out it would make me look bad.
Or should i post my ebay user id and password on a dodgy looking forum and get it hijacked for real :p:

The best thing i can do is tell the truth in a situation like this, and i need to tell them i'm not comfortable with it, but i don't wanna. :cry:
I wish i could send me mam round to sort them out- can't get away with it at my age i guess:D
I wish i was 12 again i don't like being a growed up sometimes:angel:

bdav
13-10-2005, 21:26
C'mon Pia - This looks dodgy a mile off. Now why would he not want an ebay account? Because it has to be tied to a bank account?

You do *NOT* want to sell anything for him. If he is the kind who you are scared of enough not to want to say no - you have to (annoying really). Do you really want to get involved in some guys dodgy business?

Pia
13-10-2005, 21:32
C'mon Pia - This looks dodgy a mile off. Now why would he not want an ebay account? Because it has to be tied to a bank account?

You do *NOT* want to sell anything for him. If he is the kind who you are scared of enough not to want to say no - you have to (annoying really). Do you really want to get involved in some guys dodgy business?

No, i don't. But i just don't knoiw how to say no, its so hard to say no to these people. But like my friend pointed out, once i do this they will be asking favours all the time- so even if the cars sold okay, i'd have too much of a connection with them that i wouldn't be comfortable with becasue over time somethnig bad is bound to happen- and it won't be to them.

Where i live their family practically overruns the area cos there is so many of them, and i'm just a 20 year old single mother going to work and minding my own business... If i upset them its gonna make things hard for me.

homealone
13-10-2005, 22:13
how about you play up the 100% reputation angle - tell them you will do it, but you want to try just one to start with and it must have an AA inspection & an HPI check - see what they say???

Roy MM
13-10-2005, 22:22
Email ebay and ask them to suspend your account till further notice.

Pia
13-10-2005, 22:41
Email ebay and ask them to suspend your account till further notice.

Would they do that? Is it risky in case they don't un-suspend it?

fireman328
13-10-2005, 22:43
Phone Crime Stoppers
0800 555 111
Explain your circumstances and they will follow it up keeping you out of it.

Pia
13-10-2005, 22:46
Phone Crime Stoppers
0800 555 111
Explain your circumstances and they will follow it up keeping you out of it.

:Yikes: I can't do that! My windows won't look as shiny on the floor. :D

Nah seriously though, for all i know they might be alright about it, but i'm just scared cos i'm not sure they'll appreciate me 'messing them about' seeing as they've assumed i'm gonna do it.

marky
13-10-2005, 22:53
:Yikes: I can't do that! My windows won't look as shiny on the floor. :D

Nah seriously though, for all i know they might be alright about it, but i'm just scared cos i'm not sure they'll appreciate me 'messing them about' seeing as they've assumed i'm gonna do it. There isnt a problem, just ask to see all the paperwork on the cars, before you post them.
But beware, if its a buisiness you could be liable for the tax :(

Pia
13-10-2005, 22:57
how about you play up the 100% reputation angle - tell them you will do it, but you want to try just one to start with and it must have an AA inspection & an HPI check - see what they say???

That's a good idea, except i can see him questioning me, cos he'll know that i don't need to know all this, after all, in his eyes all i'll be doing is putting himin touch with a buyer as they'll pay him cash on collection..

There isnt a problem, just ask to see all the paperwork on the cars, before you post them.
But beware, if its a buisiness you could be liable for the tax :(

That's what my mam said too. Plus i get tax credits and housing benefit so i don't want that sort of money (around £12,000 ) to have ever passed through my hands in case that gets stopped...

danielf
13-10-2005, 23:00
That's what my mam said too. Plus i get tax credits and housing benefit so i don't want that sort of money (around £12,000 ) to have ever passed through my hands in case that gets stopped...

There you go. Refuse on the basis of that...

marky
13-10-2005, 23:02
You could ask to set there own account up, on your pc, no bad feelings then ;)

Pia
13-10-2005, 23:05
There you go. Refuse on the basis of that...

Well i don't think there's any need to weigh up the pros and cons....:D

I think i might be looking into it too much, but my friend (his daughter) was very keen to get off the phone when i was trying to ask her about the cars and stuff. I have to be careful what i say to her of course, i don't want her thinking i think her dad is dodgy. :dozey:

This guy is loaded though he sells the cheap cigs and booze and other stuff too... I don't understand why he wants to sell them on ebay rather than in the local paper:confused:

Paul
13-10-2005, 23:07
Don't touch with a barge pole, unless you fancy a visit from the police for selling stolen property.

homealone
13-10-2005, 23:08

That's a good idea, except i can see him questioning me, cos he'll know that i don't need to know all this, after all, in his eyes all i'll be doing is putting himin touch with a buyer as they'll pay him cash on collection...

- true, but it is your rep on the line, if that is useful to them, they should want to maintain it - they can't do that by doing anything dodgy, :shrug:

Pia
13-10-2005, 23:12
You could ask to set there own account up, on your pc, no bad feelings then ;)

That was my original idea, but i'm not sure how well it will go down seeing as they don't want a 0 feedback account to sell them on. I think his daughter was gonna do it for him but she doesn't have an account yet so she passed him over to me... how very grateful i am too :no:

Don't touch with a barge pole, unless you fancy a visit from the police for selling stolen property.

I'm scared i might get touched with a bargepole.... :sniper:

:D:D:p:

- true, but it is your rep on the line, if that is useful to them, they should want to maintain it - they can't do that by doing anything dodgy, :shrug:

They won't care about my rep when they've got their money though will they... I know i could be making a mountain out of a molehill but, well.. we are talking about money i've never even seen in real life before!

the_beast666
13-10-2005, 23:16
pure and simple , you are being used :Yikes:

Pia
13-10-2005, 23:18
pure and simple , you are being used :Yikes:

Of course, and becasue i have no burly people to help me out if things go wrong, they can't lose. Its simply a pain free hassle free thing for them.

He was tlaking on the phone as if he was selling a couple of jackets for a few quid. But come on, 4 cars?? It's the sort of thing you do yourself not leave a neighbour to do.

homealone
13-10-2005, 23:27
<snip> It's the sort of thing you do yourself not leave a neighbour to do.

now that sounds more like it :tu:

lippy
14-10-2005, 00:13
You know what to do pia so be strong and tell them you don't want to get involved.

You've said it yourself, once you do these clowns a favour they'll use you for anything!
If they have something to threaten or blackmail you with they'll use it.

Don't make up any stories, just be straight with them and they shouldn't ask again.

Good luck

homealone
14-10-2005, 00:18
You know what to do pia so be strong and tell them you don't want to get involved.

You've said it yourself, once you do these clowns a favour they'll use you for anything!
If they have something to threaten or blackmail you with they'll use it.

Don't make up any stories, just be straight with them and they shouldn't ask again.

Good luck

absolutely :tu:

MovedGoalPosts
14-10-2005, 01:25
Once they are trying to sell more than one car they are becoming a dealer. There are various trading standards laws to be dealt with. Simply put, selling more than one vehilce they have to declare themselves as trade and follow the rules.

Even if the cars are legit (and it does sound dodgy to me), they are trying to get round the legalities. You have to stand up for yourself and explain you can't be involved.

SMHarman
14-10-2005, 11:51
Sounds like although you don't want to do this you will end up doing this.

I would ask to see the V5 / log book / ownership document (or whatever it is called these days) and if there name is on this then there is reasonable assurance the cars are owned by them and less dodgy, I would also say you need to keep hold of these while they are being auctioned and take a photocopy so if the boys in blue come asking questions you can show then evidence that you thought ownership was legit.

Tell them you will need to sell them one a month and then if the first comes back to bite you can say the problems are too great.

Make sure the cash does not go through your bank accounts.

Aragorn
14-10-2005, 12:46
Sound advice from SMH.

Apart from anything, putting four cars at once on ebay will give bidders the impression you are a dealer. You may not get any bids anyway. I assume you have never sold anything similar on ebay before, so someone looking at your feedback would be very dubious if four cars suddenly appear!

Maybe you could put pressure on your friend to persuade her dad that it's inappropriate?

Pia
14-10-2005, 14:48
Sound advice from SMH.

Apart from anything, putting four cars at once on ebay will give bidders the impression you are a dealer. You may not get any bids anyway. I assume you have never sold anything similar on ebay before, so someone looking at your feedback would be very dubious if four cars suddenly appear!

Maybe you could put pressure on your friend to persuade her dad that it's inappropriate?

That's true it would look very much like a hijacked account, i see this all the time.

I have spoke to my friend and explained i can't do it she said its okay he'll understand so i'm just waiting to see what he actually says to me..

luftys
14-10-2005, 19:28
I have spoke to my friend and explained i can't do it she said its okay he'll understand so i'm just waiting to see what he actually says to me..

:Yikes: I can smuggle you out of the county,for a small fee in the boot of my car :disturbd:

Pia
14-10-2005, 20:59
:Yikes: I can smuggle you out of the county,for a small fee in the boot of my car :disturbd:

:LOL::rofl:

Pia
17-10-2005, 17:56
Well i saw this bloke for the first time today since i told his daughter i'm not going to do it on my own account- but i will help them to do it on a new account of their own.

Basically he was saying that he doesn't know why i can't do it because the cars aren't even in my name.....:blah:.
I was quite suprised though becasue his wife was defending me saying 'well she will do it, but on a different account'.
Made me wonder if she knows its dodgy and what i'd be letting myself in for...

Anyway i'm hoping things aren't going to be awkward now and i *think* i might be out of this...

That is until i have to list the cars and help set up the new account...:(

Paul
17-10-2005, 18:05
Basically he was saying that he doesn't know why i can't do it because the cars aren't even in my name.....:blah:.
That's precisely why you can't do it. You will be breaking ebays T&C's if you advertise something you don't own.

luftys
17-10-2005, 23:27
That's precisely why you can't do it. You will be breaking ebays T&C's if you advertise something you don't own.

we all do that,1 time or another :disturbd: and buy things for other people

ps
I hope its not 1 off your friends cars that I am going to look at saturday :Yikes: they dont live near Richmond :disturbd:

Pia
17-10-2005, 23:28
I hope its not 1 off your friends cars that I am going to look at saturday :Yikes: they dont live near Richmond :disturbd:

LOL no don't worry they haven't put them up for sale yet!

handyman
17-10-2005, 23:39
Thats a long drive up for you luftys, are you in Redcar on sat as well?

luftys
18-10-2005, 00:05
Thats a long drive up for you luftys, are you in Redcar on sat as well?

No which is a shame,on my way to Ireland