PDA

View Full Version : Digital Camera

Captain_caveman
23-10-2003, 23:36
I'm thinking of buying this digital camra:
http://www.toysrus.co.uk/Product.aspx/TruHome/TruGadgets/TruGadgetsCameras/825514

Is there anyone out there who has one? if so is it any good? can it be used as a webcam? (the description is a bit vague) Or is there any others out there for a similar price that do the same job or better?

Thanks

MovedGoalPosts
24-10-2003, 00:28
You may be able to do better from a dedicated camera shop, although for the price it might not be too bad. It depends what you want the camera for. A few happy snaps of parties and things, maybe OK, much more and it might be poor value.

Digital Zoom, means the camera software alters the image - not as good as having a proper zoom lens, but depends on how big you want to print out the photos, or if your just going to display on web (but you need a good printer if you want good quality prints anyway). At max resolution, the 16MB card wont hold many photos at all. Look to see if the camera has memory on board. What about batteries - standard type or expensive or rechargable (what lifespan)

rogercruse
24-10-2003, 07:06
I tend to agree with MovedGoalPosts "... it depends on what you want the camera for..."

I would also add that as the price and quality of digital cameras get better each year, then this sort of camera should be considered your entry to digital photography and you probably won't be using it in six months time!

Also, going digital changes what you do with the pictures - uploading them to a website becomes more important than sticking them in an album.

Check out this site - www.dpreview.com -for lots of useful information and this site - www.fotopic.net - to see what others have done.

Roger...

Captain_caveman
24-10-2003, 18:03
Thanks for the advice
It will be my 1st digital camera, but I will only be using it to take down caves with me and possibly the odd snap above ground, I don't fancy paying £150 for a camera just for it to get bashed around. It will just save me the costs of disposables and processing in the long run, especially when most of the pictures will only get posted on the web.

paulyoung666
24-10-2003, 18:15
Thanks for the advice
It will be my 1st digital camera, but I will only be using it to take down caves with me and possibly the odd snap above ground, I don't fancy paying £150 for a camera just for it to get bashed around. It will just save me the costs of disposables and processing in the long run, especially when most of the pictures will only get posted on the web.

keep an eye out for the basic fuji cameras , you should be able to pick one up for less than 100 pounds , well worth it i reckon :)
i have the most basic one and it does me for snapshots etc , im not totally sure but i think some of them can be used as a webcam as well