PDA

View Full Version : can i get broadband with no phone line at all?

mynameisholly
11-10-2005, 16:38
Hi, I'm considering getting ntl broadband, and I know that you can get broadband even if you have a bt phone line, however; i still live at home and my parent have asked bt to disconnect our phone line completely due to rogue calls. We now use a mobile and the home line is completely cut off. They will not be swayed to reconnect it.
I'm just worried that some form of home phone line is needed to get the boradband service.
It may seem like a stupid question but could someone explain to me pls?
Much appreciated!

bob_builder
11-10-2005, 16:52
:welcome: mynameisholly!

To fix your confusion, there are two common types of broadband used in the UK:

Cable: This is provided by NTL and Telewest down a coaxial cable and does not require any sort of phone-line to be installed in the house.

ADSL: This is provided by BT and all-manner of other people over BT phone-lines (twisted-pair). This requires a BT phone-line to be installed and BT line rental to be paid.

Aragorn
11-10-2005, 16:55
If you are in an NTL cabled area, you can get BBand without NTL phone, so you 'should' be able to get it with any landline. Their objection maybe how they contact you, as mobile phone numbers can be transient.

Use this (http://www.home.ntl.com/bin/venda?ex=co_wizr-postcode&bsref=ntlhome&param1=internet) to check if you are in an NTL street. Otherwise, as Bob says ADSL does require a telephone.

SMHarman
11-10-2005, 17:52
Or a Telewest cabled area!

But you don't need a phone plugged into the ADSL phone line so no rogue caller would make anything ring.

cookie_365
11-10-2005, 18:25
Hi, I'm considering getting ntl broadband, and I know that you can get broadband even if you have a bt phone line, however; i still live at home and my parent have asked bt to disconnect our phone line completely due to rogue calls. We now use a mobile and the home line is completely cut off. They will not be swayed to reconnect it.
I'm just worried that some form of home phone line is needed to get the boradband service.
Much appreciated!

Hi mynameisholly and :welcome: to Cable Forum :):):)

I was in pretty much the same situation as you a couple of years ago - I didn't bother with a landline and used my mobile for all calls (am I grateful to whoever came up with those 'free minutes' tariffs or what ;)) !

As mentioned earlier, if you go for cable BB you don't need to take out phone or TV with NTL. If you go for ADSL then you need to have a phone line (because that's what you connect to).

You may find you need to enter a landline number into the automated voice system when you phone up to book cable; as far as I know this is just so that the computer can identify which region you're in and direct you to the right call centre, though I'm sure someone who works for NTL can clarify.

As I didn't have a landline I just tapped in the (NTL) landline number for the flat downstairs - they haven't had any unexpected calls as a result.

And the proof of the pudding? Well, I read your post thanks to my spiffing NTL 2Mbs cable broadband connection, and I still don't have a landline ;)

Hope that helps :)

Slyder
11-10-2005, 18:44
Just to echo whats been said.

I currently have 3 meg broadband with NTL and dont have a phone line. ;)

mynameisholly
12-10-2005, 10:35
thanks for your help guys,
that's clarified a lot of things for me :)

Chris
12-10-2005, 11:00
Just to throw a random idea into the thread ... if you have a few thousand to spare, you could install a two-way satellite broadband system. :D

http://www.silvermead.co.uk/satellite/twoway/

SMHarman
12-10-2005, 11:41
... and if you want a phone after this you can always attach a VoIP phone to your BB connection.

Slyder
12-10-2005, 17:23
Just to throw a random idea into the thread ... if you have a few thousand to spare, you could install a two-way satellite broadband system. :D

http://www.silvermead.co.uk/satellite/twoway/

Where the heck did that come from... :shocked: :D

jonbr
13-10-2005, 11:34
As I understand it, NTL would install a "dummy phone line". That's what they did for a friend of mine who only has BB.

orangebird
13-10-2005, 11:53
Much appreciated!

In a word, yes. :)

cookie_365
13-10-2005, 17:22
As I understand it, NTL would install a "dummy phone line". That's what they did for a friend of mine who only has BB.

Nope. They just installed the BB and nothing else.

SMHarman
13-10-2005, 17:42
^ The cable from the street to the house is a siamese cable, it has a phone line stuck to the side, I guess it is up to the engineer what is done with these wires.