PDA

View Full Version : STB MAC provisioning

Badders
11-10-2005, 13:29
Hi peeps,

How do you get to the MAC provisioning webpage to add extra addresses?

I've tried turning off/on the STB and then connecting the new hardware but it wouldn't give me a connection to any webpage.

Thanks.

Marge
11-10-2005, 13:35
The provisioning page is "start.ntl" or you can type these numbers in "172.16.30.84" what is it exactly you're trying to do ??

Badders
11-10-2005, 14:07
I believe you have to "provision" the MAC address of the computers network card when it's behind a STB. In other words, registering it with NTL.

I remember using a page which allowed me to add additional addresses.

patrickp
11-10-2005, 14:13
The usual way IIRC is just to connect the new machine - when you try to go online, you'll be taken to the registration page. AFAIK you can't just enter a new MAC; you have to let ntl 'see' it. You may have to reboot the computer and STB first, though.

If you want to have different computers connected, it can be easier to use a router: that way, you just register the router's MAC address (or it can spoof the address of the machine it replaces) and ntl don't see what's behind that. You can connect whatever you want; you may have to reboot, though.

Badders
11-10-2005, 14:31
Thanks for replying.

The usual way IIRC is just to connect the new machine - when you try to go online, you'll be taken to the registration page. AFAIK you can't just enter a new MAC; you have to let ntl 'see' it. You may have to reboot the computer and STB first, though.
I've tried that but wasn't getting any connectivity at all.
If you want to have different computers connected, it can be easier to use a router: that way, you just register the router's MAC address (or it can spoof the address of the machine it replaces) and ntl don't see what's behind that. You can connect whatever you want; you may have to reboot, though.
I've tried cloning a new address but still no connection.

Do you know how long you have to have the STB switched off before it will poll for a new address?

MovedGoalPosts
11-10-2005, 16:15
You need only power down the STB and computer, change the connections, power up the STB, and the new attched PC (old one must be completely disconnected) and you should then be taken to, or go manually to the provisioning page, if you have no useable internet connection.

patrickp
11-10-2005, 16:42
One thought, Badders - don't reboot the STB and PC together: boot up the STB, let it settle, then boot the PC.

Badders
11-10-2005, 16:59
Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I'll give it another go tonight.

It would be nice if the maintenance of the addresses was available at any time. From what I remember you could delete and name them. Oh Well, maybe in the furture.

Marge
11-10-2005, 17:03
It would be nice if the maintenance of the addresses was available at any time. From what I remember you could delete and name them. Oh Well, maybe in the furture.

It is available but only if you are registering a PC that hasn't been on the ntl network before, you can add and delete via the provisioning page. do you know what ip address you are getting when you're trying this ??

Badders
11-10-2005, 17:12
do you know what ip address you are getting when you're trying this ??
I think it was a 10. address with a 17x. DNS (very vague...) but I couldn't connect to a webpage. I thought it may have been due to the Registration maintenance going on over the weekend.

I'm at work at the moment but I'll give it another try tonight and post back. Thanks again for the help.

Chris W
11-10-2005, 20:17
I think it was a 10. address with a 17x. DNS (very vague...) but I couldn't connect to a webpage. I thought it may have been due to the Registration maintenance going on over the weekend.

I'm at work at the moment but I'll give it another try tonight and post back. Thanks again for the help.

That ip is in the right range for provisioning, if the addresses supplied my marge still don't work, check in tools-> internet options-> connections-> lan settings that you don't have a proxy specified. If you do, remove this and try again.