PDA

View Full Version : How long does it take?

Drake
11-10-2005, 11:35
Hello,

Once I make an order for an NTL Broadband package, do you know how long they take before coming around to install it? And also how long the installation roughly takes?

Thank you for your time

Pia
11-10-2005, 11:47
They came to me within a matter of a couple of days.

Installation only took about 20 mins or so too.

Its the setup after they've gone that takes the most time- thanks to NTL's CS:D

homealone
11-10-2005, 11:53
lead time between ordering & installation will depend how busy the teams are in your area.

Time to install is dependent on how difficult a job it is, my initial installation of 2 phones & 2 STBs needed the drive digging up & cable to the front & back of the house & took 3-4 hours. However the subsequent broadband installation took less than 20 minutes as the cable was already in place.

Drake
11-10-2005, 12:52
Well basically I'm just after the Broadband with the stand alone cable modem so I was just wondering how long they would take as I don't have any other NTL services.

patrickp
11-10-2005, 13:14
Depends on your area, but generally ntl's time to install after an order is not long compared to ADSL provisioning: probably not more than a week or so, I think. Only one way to find out... ;-)

Drake
11-10-2005, 13:16
Thank you so far for your information. I still have to convince my father to get it because he's sceptical about broadband since we had BT's package..

What do you mean exactly?

Neil
11-10-2005, 13:33

Ring them & find out. ;)

:welcome: to the site too. :)

patrickp
11-10-2005, 13:54
Thank you so far for your information. I still have to convince my father to get it because he's sceptical about broadband since we had BT's package..

BT themselves are a notoriously unreliable ISP, although it has to be said that any ISP as big as BT or ntl is going to get bad press. Generally, if you want to connect via ADSL, though, I'd recommend using one of the numerous alternatives - I've just set a friend up with Tiscali (no cable in his area); it was pretty painless and seems to be working well so far.

ntl do seem to me to offer an excellent service, though. YMMV.

It means she's had problems with setting up her connection, which you do yourself after they've put the cable in and connected your modem to it - if you've already got a Set-top Box (STB), you may well simply be connected through that.

Generally speaking, connection shouldn't be a problem; for most people it's quick and easy, particularly if you heed the advice given here (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/article.php?a=13). I've done it twice; once with an STB and once with a Stand-alone Cable Modem (SACM). I found the registration pages loaded a bit slow the first time - probably because the area had only just got broadband and everyone was registering, but with the SACM it was so fast and easy I could hardly believe it was done.

If you're going to use the ntl services such as email etc, you'll also need to configure them: again, you can find info on this in the forum (hint: look up at the top of the page and check out the articles).

Incidentally, you didn't say what your problems were with BT.

You should bear in mind that the internet can be a hazardous place: many people blame problems that they have on their ISP, when it may be of their own doing: it's all too easy to get infected by malware - viruses, worms, adware, spyware etc.

Check the article on Virus Information, make sure you keep your OS updated and don't install stuff/open email attatchments without being _sure_ they're Ok.

SmileyMan
11-10-2005, 17:06
Lead time in the midlands is down to two to three days but I have turned up at jobs 20mins after they been phone ordered

As for how long it takes I can not tell you without being there, Fastest modem I have install is 2 mins and longest is 2.5 hours

If you never had NTL services then a drop cable needs installing so would say minimum of 1 hour

As 'patrickp (member.php?u=31)' Said look at that link and follow advice

Even though we told to tell all customers to use the install disk you better of doing it that way and use Ethernet not the USB connection (Even if it means getting a NIC installed)

Drake
11-10-2005, 22:32
Thank you for all the information.

Incidentally, you didn't say what your problems were with BT

It's nothing technical. Their connection and speed is reliable, it's more a financial situation.

Pia
11-10-2005, 22:52

Sorry- i just had an absolute nightmare on the phone to these guys when i tried to set up.

Something about passwords and stuff it was torturous- i literally spent 3 hours on the phone that afternoon and by the time io'd got to speak to someone who spoke english i cried at him down the phone with pure anger. :D

Saying that, i installed my mam's for her and she had no problems, and plenty of other people including computer illiterates have installed it all fine...