PDA

View Full Version : ntl connection problems

tallymanjohn
11-10-2005, 09:44
Hi, I'm trying to help a friend get connected to ntl with a new cable modem. Initially thought she had problems with spyware etc. so cleared it out & updated everything etc. It works fine on my ntl connection which is through a router. However attaching it to her modem and we get 'page not found' etc. I can ping sites and I haven't altered any settings between connecting pc in my house & then hers. Both use ethernet & I haven't installed correctconnect (I guessed it should work without (which it does when connected to my system)). The modem (one of the new-style ones) appears ok (all lights as should be etc.). As I can ping sites, but cannot connect using IE, firefox, updating AV or anything, where do I go from here please?

DocDutch
11-10-2005, 09:51
have you tried using an IP address to connect to a webbie (if not try this 1 66.102.9.99) if that doesnt work then you have some problems, in IE if you go to TOOLS then Internet Options from there to Connections check the LAN SETTINGS in there to see if there isnt a proxy active. also what kind of IP are you getting and DNS address?

quadplay
11-10-2005, 09:59
You're right - CorrectConnect is not required; in fact it's been replaced by Broadband Medic - which isn't required either.

It sounds like the Cable Modem isn't registered yet. Try visiting https://autoreg.autoregister.net/ from the PC whilst connected to the Cable Modem and follow the instructions on-screen. As levig said above though, check there isn't a proxy server set.

tallymanjohn
11-10-2005, 10:37
Thanks for replies. Yes, I've tried an ip address (it's just the address isn't it, no www, just http://). No there's no proxy server & it isn't set to detect settings. If the modem isn't registered yet should I still be able to ping? - it was the ntl site I believe I was trying (62.253.162.30?). I'm at my own home at the moment so I cannot say for certain what the ip address was, but it wasn't any recognisable error ones, 192 etc. - I've got a note of 66.102.9.147 but that might have been something else.

quadplay
11-10-2005, 11:01
Yes, unregistered modems can still ping out. 62.253.162.30 is the ntlworld website (www.ntlworld.com) - this is not accessible via a pre-registration modem. The only site that is accessible via HTTP/HTTPS is autoreg.autoregister.net (80.5.178.26).

I wouldn't advise that you give out your friend's full IP address on a public forum. The one you've given above (66.x.x.x) isn't an ntl address - it belongs to Google, Inc. Just the first and last octets (e.g., 80.x.x.26) allows us to determine whether you've got a full ntl IP, pre-reg, or other. :)

tallymanjohn
11-10-2005, 11:11
I'm going there in an hour or so & shall try the ntl helpline to make sure modem is registered plus get the ip address etc. Promise to post back results - hopefully from her machine :-)

Thanks again.

tallymanjohn
11-10-2005, 17:08
Many thanks for replies - problem sorted, it was just the registration bit - it's a long time since I joined ntl & they don't make the instructions very precise. Anyway, one happy friend!

Regards

John