PDA

View Full Version : Salt & Pepper Pots

peachey
23-10-2003, 17:36
While at asdas I bought a cheap salt and pepper set.

One has lots of holes and the other has a larger single hole but none are marked with the traditional 'S' and 'P'.

In the past I have always thought that the single hole one should be for the salt and the multiple one for the pepper. But after a brief conversation it appears this is not universally used as a standard.

Which one should I use for the salt and which for pepper do you reckon?

Dooby
23-10-2003, 17:43
I actually thought it was the other way round, single hole for salt...
usually the single hole is larger, and salt grains tend to be larger than pepper ( assuming it isnt coarse ground pepper ).

orangebird
23-10-2003, 17:45
single = salt
multiple = pepper

:)

Chris
23-10-2003, 17:50
single = salt
multiple = pepper

Same here ... peachey, you really are trying to domesticate this forum, aren't you? ;)

Bex
23-10-2003, 18:07
i agree with orange and towny

Atomic22
23-10-2003, 19:29
single = black pepper
multiple = white pepper

salt is bad for you and all food contains more than enough of the recommended daily salt intake for the average adult so dont add more....also it tastes awful so thats two good reasons....:nono:

Theodoric
28-10-2003, 20:53
single = salt
multiple = pepper

Ah, but we foodies who use sea salt (all right, rock salt!) and whole pepper corns need mills to grind these items. :)

Ramrod
28-10-2003, 23:16
Ah, but we foodies who use sea salt (all right, rock salt!) and whole pepper corns need mills to grind these items. :)I thought I was the only one:D

MadGamer
29-10-2003, 14:46
I thought I was the only one:D Thats why we have the pots where you twist to grind the pepper down. lol

SMHarman
29-10-2003, 15:15
I like the single handed pepper grinder where you squeeze the two handles together. Ball shape at the bottom.

Agreed single hole for salt and multiple for pepper. Though I think the french do it the other way round.

MadGamer
29-10-2003, 15:34
So they have the single hole for the pepper and the triple for the salt?

gary_580
29-10-2003, 15:51
are they grinders? in which case its metal gringer for the pepper and plastic for the salt (unless you want to eat rust!!)

MadGamer
29-10-2003, 16:20
are they grinders? in which case its metal gringer for the pepper and plastic for the salt (unless you want to eat rust!!) Err NO!!! :eeek: :eeek: :eeek:

SMHarman
29-10-2003, 18:31
So they have the single hole for the pepper and the triple for the salt?

I'm sure parts of the world seem to do this backwards

snodvan
29-10-2003, 19:29
I recall an item in Antiques Raoadshow where an "expert" said that until the very early part of the last century salt was dispensed from a shaker with multiple holes and pepper was dispensed from a shaker with a single hole. Remember that up until that sort of date salt was also traditionally dispensed with a spoon (or "pinched" with fingers) from a glass-lined dish. However, that original convention was gradually reversed until by the 1940s it was salt - single/ pepper - multi. The same expert gave a rationale for why the original convention and why it then changed. The reason was something to do with the first world war but I cannot recall the details.

Maggy
29-10-2003, 20:42
peachey you so have your tongue in your cheek.who are you?

incog who refuses to be domesticated or taken the p*ss out of.

Theodoric
29-10-2003, 20:49
I like the single handed pepper grinder where you squeeze the two handles together. Ball shape at the bottom.

Agreed single hole for salt and multiple for pepper. Though I think the french do it the other way round.
After being 'persuaded' by my wife, we now have an electric pepper mill. I ask you! An electric pepper mill!

peachey
29-10-2003, 21:37
I recall an item in Antiques Raoadshow where an "expert" said that until the very early part of the last century salt was dispensed from a shaker with multiple holes and pepper was dispensed from a shaker with a single hole. Remember that up until that sort of date salt was also traditionally dispensed with a spoon (or "pinched" with fingers) from a glass-lined dish. However, that original convention was gradually reversed until by the 1940s it was salt - single/ pepper - multi. The same expert gave a rationale for why the original convention and why it then changed. The reason was something to do with the first world war but I cannot recall the details.

hmm interesting... it might have had something to do with the price of salt and pepper

chambece
30-10-2003, 11:39
After being 'persuaded' by my wife, we now have an electric pepper mill. I ask you! An electric pepper mill!

hehe, we've got both electric salt and pepper mill - do they have a light on as well so you can see how much you're putting on.....

And a lot of the grinding mechanisms are now ceramic, so you can use with salt or pepper.....

Aren't I sad...... :rolleyes:

peachey
30-10-2003, 11:51
hehe, we've got both electric salt and pepper mill - do they have a light on as well so you can see how much you're putting on.....

And a lot of the grinding mechanisms are now ceramic, so you can use with salt or pepper.....

you can get those big pepper pots - like you see in italian restaurants etc

in asda for a fiver
I bought one yesterday

and some black pepper corns to go in it

Ramrod
30-10-2003, 12:29
After being 'persuaded' by my wife, we now have an electric pepper mill. I ask you! An electric pepper mill!Something wrong with her wrist action?:D

Chris
30-10-2003, 17:12
you can get those big pepper pots - like you see in italian restaurants etc

in asda for a fiver
I bought one yesterday

and some black pepper corns to go in it
You write your posts very like someone who has been banned from this forum a number of times.

peachey
30-10-2003, 17:24
You write your posts very like someone who has been banned from this forum a number of times.

how do you mean?

Nemesis
30-10-2003, 17:28
Hmm .. same type of questioning with convo's on boiled eggs, salt and pepper, contributing to arguments with members "Black Welsh" thread ...

Hmmmm, towny you could be right ...

peachey
30-10-2003, 17:33
Hmm .. same type of questioning with convo's on boiled eggs, salt and pepper, contributing to arguments with members "Black Welsh" thread ...

Hmmmm, towny you could be right ...

not the case

have not regged on .co.uk before

although I did do the occasional post on the .com site

but that was ages ago

Chris
30-10-2003, 17:35
how do you mean?
Linguistically, your posts remind me of Kerry-Anne.
The way you space out your paragraphs reminds me of KA.
The kinds of threads you start and the way you move them forwards with further questions reminds me of KA.

I'd MSN her and ask if she knows you, but I'm away from my own computer at the mo' and I don't have it installed on this one.

Nemesis
30-10-2003, 17:38
not the case

have not regged on .co.uk before

although I did do the occasional post on the .com site

but that was ages ago
What was the ID on .com ?

peachey
30-10-2003, 17:42
What was the ID on .com ?

can't tell you
as I decided to turn over a new leaf when I left

Russ
30-10-2003, 17:53
Peachy, can I just ask you directly if you are KA. If you aren't then fine, no problem.

peachey
30-10-2003, 17:56
Peachy, can I just ask you directly if you are KA. If you aren't then fine, no problem.

no I'm not - definately

but I have posted to your stuff b4
on .com

Russ
30-10-2003, 17:59
OK good, check your PMs

Theodoric
30-10-2003, 20:20

Yes, ours has a little light as well. What next, a laser shining through the cloud of pepper onto a detector so that you can measure the concentration of pepper in the falling pepper plume?