PDA

View Full Version : Washing powder

peachey
23-10-2003, 17:18
What is the difference between bio and non bio washing powder/materials?

I was in asda and was perplexed about what sort to buy
and what the pros and cons were for each

Xaccers
23-10-2003, 17:24
biological use enzimes which some people can be allergic to.
non-bio is a more palatable way of saying chemical

Chris
23-10-2003, 17:25

Bio uses enzymes to help break down stains, mimicing ... well, biological processes like the ones that go on inside you and me, I guess. Non-bio is just fancy soap powder and generally not as effective at removing stains.

However, some people can have an allergic skin reaction to biological powder and it isn't recommended for cleaning clothes worn by babies or very young children. Our son's clothes and eco-friendly washable nappies get done in Persil Aloe Vera, which seems to do the trick just fine (nasty poo stains included). :)

Washing machines ... tumble dryers ... now washing powder ... what's going on at nthw.co.uk? We've all been domesticated!

Xaccers
23-10-2003, 17:26
Er Towny, how come us blokes were the first to answer? maybe we have been domesticated!

homealone
23-10-2003, 17:27

bio - contain enzymes that "digest" protein etc & help remove stains.
- pro's good performance at low temperature (40°C), cons - can sometimes cause allergic skin reactions.

non-bio - just detergent, no enzymes
- pro's - good at high temperature, less likely to cause allergic reaction, cons - not such good stain removal at low temperature as bio.

<edit> - did it really take me so long to type that - sorry for repeating what you guys already said.:)

Salu
23-10-2003, 17:29
What's everybody's favourite washing machine?

peachey
23-10-2003, 17:30
cheers for that

in the end I opted for non bio asda own brand 'capsule' things - like sort of flat bubbles with washing powder liquid stuff in them

Chris
23-10-2003, 17:35
Er Towny, how come us blokes were the first to answer? maybe we have been domesticated!
Well, of course, we were answering from a blokey technical point of view, all about chemicals and enzymes, not recommending brands or anything girlie like that.

What? Persil Aloe Vera. So I did. aahhh...

I'll get my coat.

Is now not a good time to admit that I have a username at mumsnet.com?

aliferste
23-10-2003, 17:53

About 60p

Buy the cheapest...dont be conned by them!

Chimaera
23-10-2003, 18:40
But which is best, powder or liquid? I've been told by various washing machine engineers that powder/liquid clog up the pipes and damage the machine (depending which one you listen to) so is there any difference and do they actually damage the machine?

Atomic22
23-10-2003, 19:21
Our son's clothes and eco-friendly washable nappies get done in Persil Aloe Vera, which seems to do the trick just fine (nasty poo stains included). :)

urgggghhh.....towny noooooooooo ...whilst i recycle 99.9% of re-cyclable stuff that we use the 0.1% that i refuse to recycle is nappys.....pampers and huggies are two of the worlds greatest inventions and mr pamper and mr huggy deserve medals....
we use asda bio tablets and have had no problems with them or with the kids clothes (girls of 6 months and 5 years).
we always buy hotpoint washers/driers/dishwashers/fridges etc as they seem to have the best guarantees with them...

this thread is making all us blokes look very sad and girly and should be closed forthwith so we can get back to posting about footy/rugger/women/beer etc and other such manlike topics:rolleyes:

Chris
23-10-2003, 21:04
But which is best, powder or liquid? I've been told by various washing machine engineers that powder/liquid clog up the pipes and damage the machine (depending which one you listen to) so is there any difference and do they actually damage the machine?

Missus says the wash is cleaner with powder tablets than with either loose powder or liquid ...

urgggghhh.....towny noooooooooo ...whilst i recycle 99.9% of re-cyclable stuff that we use the 0.1% that i refuse to recycle is nappys.....pampers and huggies are two of the worlds greatest inventions and mr pamper and mr huggy deserve medals....

By the time both of your little darlings has outgrown nappies, either Mr Huggy or Mr Pamper will be at least £1,400 richer at your expense. (could be as much as £2,000) . Our son's reusables, including annual laundering cost of an average £33, will have cost us less than £450 and can be used again for number two (no pun intended).

You may balk at the thought of handling a pooey nappy, but I balk at the thought of cleaning up leaks and explosive poo from up my son's back ... something we don't have to do because cloth nappies fit better, are more absorbant (and he doesn't get nappy rash either).

Some further reading:
http://www.thenappylady.co.uk/Information/Article.asp?ArticleID=2

(Lots of other stuff on that site about disposable nappy propaganda)

And http://www.totsbots.com/ which is the brand we use.

Final thought ... if Henry VIII had been brought up in pampers, they would still be sitting in a landfill site somewhere. I don't want to bequeath a pile of untreated human sewage and questionable absorption chemicals to my great, great grandchildren ....

[/rant] :D

Bex
23-10-2003, 21:06
towny u are turning into a women..........u even rant like a women now :erm: ;)

Chimaera
23-10-2003, 21:55
but does he get PMT????

Bex
23-10-2003, 22:05
but does he get PMT????

:erm: maybe we should ask his wife :rofl:

Xaccers
23-10-2003, 22:06
but does he get PMT????

When I was at uni living with 3 women, I used to get PMT!

iadom
23-10-2003, 22:12
But which is best, powder or liquid? I've been told by various washing machine engineers that powder/liquid clog up the pipes and damage the machine (depending which one you listen to) so is there any difference and do they actually damage the machine?A lot of modern powders/liquids can damage the machines if not used correctly.
The problems are different in soft or hard water areas. I have always lived and worked in an area that has very soft water and the damage done to the alloy drum supports inside most washing machines can be very severe. In only a couple of years the drum supports will rot and crumble, leading to large repair bills.
The thing to remember in soft water areas is to use 50% less detergent than the soap manufacture advises. Make sure that you do a Hot/60% wash every week or, if you cannot find sufficient items of the type that will stand a 60% wash, then every 6 to 8 weeks, do a Boil/95% wash without clothes or detergents.
The overuse of "economy" features can also exacerbate this problem as most reduce or completely stop the heater from operating.

I always use Daz or Ariel tablets that go in the dispenser drawer. ( the silly Persil bags can get jammed in the outer drum). I use a maximum of one tablet and even break one in half for smaller loads. The real problem with liquids is that most users ( women) are in such a hurry they pour in far more than is needed. I also find that the cheaper deteregents and in particular "Almat" from Aldi are far worse than others.
In hard water areas, the damage is more often than not caused by the limescale build up on the heating element.
You can buy products that you can put in the machine to reduce/remove the limescale or excess soap build up.

The simple rules is . Less soap , more heat.

Another advantage of using less detergent is better rinsing. If you find that members of your household find that they suffer from itchy necks or wrists, oversoaping could be a possible cause.

Bex
23-10-2003, 22:12
When I was at uni living with 3 women, I used to get PMT!

well i think men do suffer from pmt of a kind

Ramrod
23-10-2003, 22:14
Er Towny, how come us blokes were the first to answer? maybe we have been domesticated!Well, I do a mean chow mein, chicken corma and chicken soup, amongst other dishes.:)

iadom
23-10-2003, 22:16
well i think men do suffer from pmt of a kind
there is no "think" about it, after 31 years of marriage I can confirm that it is indeed men that suffer from PMT.:rolleyes:

Bex
23-10-2003, 22:18
there is no "think" about it, after 31 years of marriage I can confirm that it is indeed men that suffer from PMT.:rolleyes:

maybe i shouldnt have used the word suffer.....maybe they have pmt also ;)

iadom
23-10-2003, 22:21
maybe i shouldnt have used the word suffer.....maybe they have pmt also ;)
NO WE BLOODY WELL DON'T, AND HOW DO YOU KNOW ANYWAY,:D

peachey
23-10-2003, 22:37
When I bought the washing machine - a simple Indesit for about £250 I got talked into, foolishly I thought at the time, a 5 year insurance cover for the thing - cost about £100 or so - a lot. Anyway, about a week or two before the 5 years is up the machine goes compleltely wrong - they basically had to replace all the motor, drum and everything in it - so now only the external case and dials and stuff are the original.

result: a machine that has been used and abused by countless people and is over 9 years old

In my experience the biggest bugbear with washing machines is "the bra wire"

I have pulled loads out of the pipes etc over the years

Ramrod
23-10-2003, 22:41
When I bought the washing machine - a simple Indesit for about £250 I got talked into, foolishly I thought at the time, a 5 year insurance cover for the thing - cost about £100 or so - a lot. Anyway, about a week or two before the 5 years is up the machine goes compleltely wrong - they basically had to replace all the motor, drum and everything in it - so now only the external case and dials and stuff are the original.

You lucky git! They usually go wrong after the 5 years is up.

Bex
23-10-2003, 22:43
NO WE BLOODY WELL DON'T, AND HOW DO YOU KNOW ANYWAY,:D

:rofl: having spent the last three years living with at least two lads at uni....and being engaged...........and we women are said to be bad pffffttt

Chris
24-10-2003, 00:04
:erm: maybe we should ask his wife :rofl:

Mrs towny says I'm a new man, but not that new ... the sanitary towel aisle at asda still terrifies me if I'm sent out shopping on my own. All those different coloured little boxes .... :disturbd:

Bex
24-10-2003, 01:06
Mrs towny says I'm a new man, but not that new ... the sanitary towel aisle at asda still terrifies me if I'm sent out shopping on my own. All those different coloured little boxes .... :disturbd:
:rofl:

its a man thing, they dont understand sanitary stuff

Xaccers
24-10-2003, 01:11

"What do you mean you didn't want an applicator cos it doesn't fit in your purse?"

zoombini
24-10-2003, 13:11
OK, so who actually goes down that aisle?

It can be soo embarrasing going shopping and having "them" on the list & having to ask someone which sort she means...lol

Atomic22
24-10-2003, 19:50
OK, so who actually goes down that aisle?

It can be soo embarrasing going shopping and having "them" on the list & having to ask someone which sort she means...lol
what sort?
imagine someone saying what size would you like?......erm small, medium ,large or slapper?