PDA

View Full Version : Packaging - Getting beyond a joke?

Theodoric
06-10-2005, 19:21
I was in Sainsbury's this afternoon buying some parsley. Now, this normally comes in a plastic packet. But not now. It was in a quite large plastic tray that was, in its turn, sealed inside a plastic packet. What was the point of this? I have never, ever seen seen a packet of herbs damaged by crushing. I assume that the totally pathetic point was that, rather than having to put any unused parsley back into the packet, you can now leave it resting in the tray and save yourself what, 20 seconds, of your valuable time. If I didn't think it would be a total waste of time, I'd email Sainsbury's and complain. On second thoughts, why not and see what fanciful excuse they reply with.

AndrewJ
06-10-2005, 20:10
We have a moans and pet hates thread for this ;)

But I do know what you mean, also shops where you buy a simple pc lead, and they have it in some unfathomable plastic sealed packet.

And they charge you the Earth for it.

cookie_365
06-10-2005, 20:27
We have a moans and pet hates thread for this ;)

But I do know what you mean, also shops where you buy a simple pc lead, and they have it in some unfathomable plastic sealed packet.

And they charge you the Earth for it.

Yep - the earth in terms of £ money, and the earth in terms of :upyours:the environment :(

Wicked_and_Crazy
06-10-2005, 20:31
i wonder how quick things would change if you took all the packaging off at the checkout and left it there

Angua
06-10-2005, 20:39
I was in Sainsbury's this afternoon buying some parsley. Now, this normally comes in a plastic packet. But not now. It was in a quite large plastic tray that was, in its turn, sealed inside a plastic packet. What was the point of this? I have never, ever seen seen a packet of herbs damaged by crushing. I assume that the totally pathetic point was that, rather than having to put any unused parsley back into the packet, you can now leave it resting in the tray and save yourself what, 20 seconds, of your valuable time. If I didn't think it would be a total waste of time, I'd email Sainsbury's and complain. On second thoughts, why not and see what fanciful excuse they reply with.

Wierdest thing is they have reduced their packaging elsewhere :shrug:

Martin
06-10-2005, 20:41
Well Morrisons could do with coming up with better packaging for there potatoes as they're always bruised!!!

jrhnewark
07-10-2005, 00:10
Well Morrisons could do with coming up with better packaging for there potatoes as they're always bruised!!!Morrisons are an oversized corner shop. *shudders* :td:

Angua
07-10-2005, 00:12
Morrisons are an oversized corner shop. *shudders* :td:

Sister in Law works at her local Morrisons but does her own shopping at Asda :shrug: says it all!!!!

Martin
07-10-2005, 00:18
And funnily enough i used to work at Morrisons. ;)

MovedGoalPosts
07-10-2005, 00:21
Most packaging is a complete waste of resources, on the pretence that it makes something easier to place on shelves, or provides protection. In reality it's all about making a product more attractive to the consumer, and making sure logos are conspicous so the product stands out.

What always seems odd to me is things like supermarket vegetables - why are prepacked often on special cheap offer, compared to loose - surely loose must be chaper to get to shops - or are the prepacked hiding the poorer quality?

Take ready meals. Why do they need a cardboard slleve to the plastic tray? Shouldn't the plastic lid just be opaque and printed with the labels, and the cooking instructions printed under the platic tray doing away with the cardboard?

I could make other suggestions but it would be deaf ears and no doubt manufuacturer's would say retooling machinery etc would be more expensive than reducing packaging.

What real choice though does a consumer have to say to shops and manufacturer's, "No We don't want that stuff", when all overuse the wrappers, and that type of goods is what you want?

It's stupid, we pay for that packaging, as it's hidden in the price of the item. We pay for disposal, through our increasing council taxes. There has to be a point of stoppage.

Stuart
07-10-2005, 00:26
The amount of packaging is ridiculous. Particularly in Computing.

There are several programs I use that include acres of empty packaging and one CD/DVD.

Graham M
07-10-2005, 00:35
i wonder how quick things would change if you took all the packaging off at the checkout and left it there

To be honest if you did that to me I'd tell you off and tell you to go put it in the bin. What would I do with it!?

MovedGoalPosts
07-10-2005, 00:35
The amount of packaging is ridiculous. Particularly in Computing.
A prime example. Trouble is so many computer components are small yet cost quite a bit. So the manufacturer tries to make it look bigger and better on the shelves by having a large box. Then to stop the thing being damaged rattling around in the box, you get plies of foam, spaces and other dross. :mad:

There are several programs I use that include acres of empty packaging and one CD/DVD.
At least some software bods are not reducing this by enabling online sales and downloads. But then what cost to the environment of the server sitting there consuming powere waiting for a punter to connect?

Nidge
07-10-2005, 04:46
And funnily enough i used to work at Morrisons. ;)

Morrisons are miles in front of ASDA and Tesco. The quality of food is miles better than that of ASDA and Tesco.

ntl customer
08-10-2005, 12:32
I bought a digital camera a while ago and the amount of un-necessary packaging it came with was ridiculous.

Every lead was wrapped up in polythene bag, the batteries were wrapped in shrinkwrap and the documentation came wrapped up in polythene bag as well.

What's the point of wrapping EVERYTHING up on polythene. Surely the instruction books and leads could simply have come tied and been placed in the cardboard inner made out of egg-box type material.

Wrapping the camera up in polythene and shrinkwrapping the batteries is sufficient, but it seems utterly pointless to be sticking the leads and manuals in polythene bags. Plus, some sealed polythene bags are so difficult to open and require brute force.

Electronics products usually are the worst for excessive packaging.

patrickp
08-10-2005, 12:57
I bought a digital camera a while ago and the amount of un-necessary packaging it came with was ridiculous.

Every lead was wrapped up in polythene bag, the batteries were wrapped in shrinkwrap and the documentation came wrapped up in polythene bag as well.

What's the point of wrapping EVERYTHING up on polythene. Surely the instruction books and leads could simply have come tied and been placed in the cardboard inner made out of egg-box type material.

Wrapping the camera up in polythene and shrinkwrapping the batteries is sufficient, but it seems utterly pointless to be sticking the leads and manuals in polythene bags. Plus, some sealed polythene bags are so difficult to open and require brute force.

I think one of the reasons for that is that it makes it easier to pack: the manufacturer is probably producing several products, so all you've got to do for, say, Product 'A' is put one (1) camera in wrapping, one (1) battery pack, one (1) leads pack and one (1) manual pack for Product 'A' in the box.

paul11974
08-10-2005, 13:14
why dont they take the end biscuits out they are allways broke :dunce:

idi banashapan
08-10-2005, 13:29

a lot of the time, when it comes to electricals, the packaging is anti-static, so that sensitive components are protected when travelling. there can be a lot of friction during transport of goods, so it's more to do with ensuring there are less units destroyed before they are even sold.