PDA

View Full Version : Trip to Dublin

timewarrior2001
06-10-2005, 17:56
Just got back from my 3 day trip to Dublin and I'm bushed.

Loved the place, was so different from what I expected and staying right in Temple bar was an added Bonus, I hardly left that place whilst I was there.

I would really recomend it as a place for a short break, Just dont expect it to be very irishy. I think I only spoke to 4 irish people whilst I was there lol.

I will certainly be going back and having just checked on flight prices for February I can confirm that I can fly return to Dublin for 5p each way.....yes 5p!!!!!!

Oh yeah n I got a new tattoo while there.

skyblueheroes
06-10-2005, 18:15
I loved it too.

Stayed at The Arlington by the river. I think its superb place to go.

timewarrior2001
06-10-2005, 18:17
I loved it too.

Stayed at The Arlington by the river. I think its superb place to go.

What was that like, cos our hotel was a dump.

Escapee
06-10-2005, 18:41
I was in the Gresham on my first visit, very nice!

I couldnt believe how busy it was, I went into Temple bar on a thursday night and it was heaving.

Nice place but expensive.

daz300
06-10-2005, 18:55
can you put a link for the site where you pay 5p to fly there . thank s

Marge
06-10-2005, 19:16
Stayed at The Arlington by the river

We stayed there too, brilliant location, hotel was really nice and the grub superb.

Hope to go back soon with t'other half this time :tu:

skyblueheroes
06-10-2005, 19:28
What was that like, cos our hotel was a dump.

Superb !

Great location, food and rooms. Brekkie was good too. The bar is superb and people go there for the entertainment and the craic alone.

bb31
06-10-2005, 22:24
I'd rather set my hair on fire than visit dublin again!!

timewarrior2001
06-10-2005, 22:27
can you put a link for the site where you pay 5p to fly there . thank s

www.ryanair.com

Look at the cheapest flights, mine would be from Durham Tees Valley to Dublin. On the 6th Feb 2006, returning 9th Feb 2006.

Toto
06-10-2005, 22:30
Dublin, great city, been there twice, done the guiness tour twice, going there again in december, will do the guiness tour again :):)

Templebar is a great part of the city, and yes....few Oirish there, but a great place nonetheless.

:):):)

luftys
06-10-2005, 22:42
www.ryanair.com

Look at the cheapest flights, mine would be from Durham Tees Valley to Dublin. On the 6th Feb 2006, returning 9th Feb 2006.
Iam off to Belfast in a couple of weeks,but it cost us £5 return :bigcry: from Newcastle,5p would have been a lot better :disturbd:

skyblueheroes
06-10-2005, 23:31

Why - just out of interest ?

Bifta
06-10-2005, 23:41

Me too, and it's only a couple of hours drive away :| The place is full of knackers and tourists.

danielf
06-10-2005, 23:48
I made the mistake of going over there on an Easter break.

Question: Why do people visit Dublin?
Answer: For the pubs.

What do they do? Ban Alcohol on Good Friday when you get loads of people coming in for an Easter break... :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

timewarrior2001
07-10-2005, 00:16
Dunno, I managed to spend a day there with no alcohol.

Theres more to it, but blaming lack of research on the city itself is not a very good excuse.

I'd expect that the amount of tourists in the city would explain why the city is one of the cleanest I have visited in Europe. And since visiting Dublin I am all in favour of banning smoking in English pubs, its really a no brainer, I was more than happy to stand outside and smoke, I also noted everybody using the provided ashtrays and or Bins. It was also great to go out and not come home reeking of smoke.
I did notice a bit of graffitti, But there was certainly very little litter around. All I saw were cigarette butts But I expect that with the smoking ban its inevitable. I never once saw anyone dropping a cigarette butt, but it was obviously happening.
Bifta was right about the tourists, as for the knackers I dont know what he means by that. But I expect most Capital cities within the EU have a fair amount of tourists. London and edinburgh are packed with them for example.
Its certainly not a place I would visit to experience a bit of Ireland, but to its benefit it's certainly not a city languishing in the past, it has a very continental feel to it, and even temple Bar was very modern.

I Cant comment on anywhere else in Ireland as this was my first trip there, but its safe to say I will be visiting the city again and again.

danielf
07-10-2005, 00:29
Dunno, I managed to spend a day there with no alcohol.
<snip>

There was the surprise element to it as well.We were enjoying some live music in Temple Bar and were told by the band to enjoy our pint, as we wouldn't be having one for 24 hours (unless we were like them and had a car boot filled with tipple :) )

I did enjoy Dublin, but not even being able to have a glass of wine with your meal on that one day was a bit of a put-off.

timewarrior2001
07-10-2005, 00:34
There was the surprise element to it as well.We were enjoying some live music in Temple Bar and were told by the band to enjoy our pint, as we wouldn't be having one for 24 hours (unless we were like them and had a car boot filled with tipple :) )

I did enjoy Dublin, but not even being able to have a glass of wine with your meal on that one day was a bit of a put-off.

I have to admit, I rarely left Temple bar lol, Didnt exactly do the culture thing heh.