PDA

View Full Version : Constantly receiving data

gary_580
22-10-2003, 20:56
My Broadband status shows that im constantly receiving data when im sure i shouldnt be. Is this the norm? is there something i can use to find out what is receiving this data?

Xaccers
22-10-2003, 21:02
It's broadcasts, snoops, attacks, that sort of thing. so long as you're behind a firewall you'll be ok (you are behind a firewall aren't you?)

gary_580
22-10-2003, 21:27
yes i have a firewall. But was just wondering what it wasa. Never noticed it b4 until 2day

Nor
22-10-2003, 22:21
My data light used to be quiet unless I was doing something. One day it started to flash constantly whether I was doing anything or not and it hasn't stopped since. Someone said it was something to do with how NTL run the system or something, I dunno.

It constantly blinks even when my PC is off and isn't even showing an IP to the world. Doesn't affect my performance though.

downquark1
23-10-2003, 08:02
My data light used to be quiet unless I was doing something. One day it started to flash constantly whether I was doing anything or not and it hasn't stopped since. Someone said it was something to do with how NTL run the system or something, I dunno.

It constantly blinks even when my PC is off and isn't even showing an IP to the world. Doesn't affect my performance though.
My router flickers constantly, the networks are full of pointless traffic in theory it does affect performance but only minorly and there's nothing we can do about.

gary_580
23-10-2003, 09:25
This must affect performance as the machine is reading data. I connect to the net via my STB so i dont have flashing lights. I can see data being read by viewing the network connection and the received data count increases. Might only be a small performance hit but if the data is being read and then its being rejected by the firewall this doesnt come for free.

altis
23-10-2003, 09:28
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/lights.html

zovat
06-11-2003, 16:17
This must affect performance as the machine is reading data. I connect to the net via my STB so i dont have flashing lights. I can see data being read by viewing the network connection and the received data count increases. Might only be a small performance hit but if the data is being read and then its being rejected by the firewall this doesnt come for free.

bear in mind that your firewall (and the BB pipe) can handle a much higher bandwidth than the CM - so although it may be doing stuff, it can still keep up with the full CM bandwidth without a problem...