PDA

View Full Version : Might have been scammed (ebay)

Kliro
05-10-2005, 20:20
Hey, :( I ordered a psp off ebay on saturday, paid the same day, and all that.
Then later on that evening emailed to check when it'd arrive and that.

He replied on sunday with the details - said he would post monday - would arrive tuesday or wednesday.

Thought it should arrive on tuesday as it said in the listing royal mail special delivery - which is meant to be guaranteed next day before one.

I thought its fine, will come tomorrow (today)

Hasn't come today, emailed the seller at 5ish asking where it was - no reply.

I stand to lose £45 :( meaning I wouldnt be able to afford anouther psp.

Is there any way to get more info on a seller? phone numbers, email adresses adress etc??

I thought of emailing someone he had bought off to find out the adress if I recieve no reply by tomorrow evening, but I assume this is against ebay policy?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Paul K
05-10-2005, 20:22
Contact ebay, there is a section in the MyEbay area with details on what to do next. Do it now though, the sooner the better.
It could just be he posted it late and it's delayed but unless you start questioning it now you may lose out. Has the seller got a good rating?

iain_herts
05-10-2005, 20:23
if u go here u can rewuest the seller details that ebay hold on him on fill http://cgi1.ebay.co.uk/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?UserInformationRequest

clarie
05-10-2005, 20:23
First of all I would suggest waiting a while - sometimes they do tend to promise a quick delivery and then it takes longer than anticipated. I would give it til the end of the week. Also check the feedback of the seller - have people complained about non-delivery before?

Finally search through the help section on Ebay and see what they suggest.

You can also contact the seller via the site, and if you have paid by paypal then you should have received a receipt stating their email address.

Kliro
05-10-2005, 20:26
Thanks for the suggestions - I was going to wait a few days anyway just really annoyed cause I wanted it for this friday (going away on a boring biology residential course)

He has a rating of 7 at 100% which is why I bought.

smicer07
05-10-2005, 20:27
You bought it for 45 quid?

Kliro
05-10-2005, 20:32
£150 - there is standard protection on paypal - only upto £120 though - and there is a £15 admin charge.

Paul
05-10-2005, 21:06
ebay won't normally do anything until you have made reasonable attempts to contact the seller and sort out any problem (inc allowing a reasonable time for anything to arrive).

Millay
05-10-2005, 21:35
Thanks for the suggestions - I was going to wait a few days anyway just really annoyed cause I wanted it for this friday (going away on a boring biology residential course)

He has a rating of 7 at 100% which is why I bought.

IMHO a rating of 7 is very very low to buy a high value item such as the PSP, sometimes its worth paying the extra few pounds from osmeone with a higher rating IMHO...

Also was it buying or selling he has a high rating for?

makikomi
05-10-2005, 21:39
Kliro, Private Message me your email addy and I'll send you a guide I did on Ebay.

One of the rules is: if buying from a seller with low feedback, be careful. Some people will set up multiple identities and have the secondary IDs "buy" something from them, so that they have some positive feedback.

Personally, I'd never buy something this expensive from someone with a rating of just 7. :(

Kliro
05-10-2005, 21:44
For both buying and selling, I checked the other Id's they were well established - 100 odd ratings.

Jules
05-10-2005, 21:54
It sounds like you have done every thing to protect your self Kilro, wait a few more days and see what happens.

I have my fingers crossed for you

grandmaster
05-10-2005, 22:06
my friend had his account hijacked last week.
Someone tried selling 11 laptops and 11 phones....

Could be the same type of thing.

Although i would first try and contact the seller first

Charlie_Bubble
05-10-2005, 23:22
First of all, don't panic. It's not a fortnight overdue, it's less than a week since you bought it and one of those days was a Sunday. Things happen. I won something on ebay once and it didn't arrive when stated, but the girl had a sudden death in the family, which delayed it by over a week. You don't know what is happening at the other end. The parcel that you are holding as your number 1 priority in your head might be really low down on his list and he might not realise that you are counting the hours to delivery. Wait until the weekend before you really question where it is. You'll have to wait at least 10 days before you can claim under Ebay's protection, so there's not much you can really do until the end of next week anyway.

Secondly, a rating of 7 and 100% is not what I'd call exceptional. You can buy ratings on ebay for £1 if you want. You can easily get to 7 selling and buying nothing items within a few days. I wouldn't have thought about buying something that expensive from someone with less than a 40 or 50 rating earnt over a fairly long period. I'd rather pay someone with a 2000+ rating and 99%, because that 1% or 2% could have been the psotal service or anything. Be a bit more cautious with your money. Sometimes, what seems like the best deal can turn out to be the wrong one. People with high ratings (500+) may sometimes charge a tiny bit more, but sometimes it's best to know it's definitely going to arrive, than "save" a couple of quid.

Have you asked for a tracking number? That would be my first question to the guy. If he has sent it by recorded or special delivery, he should have a tracking number to give you.

Maurice
06-10-2005, 14:47
Talking of eBay scams, I work in a office in Mayfair in London and last week a thick evelope arrived from the Attorney General's office, Springfield Illinois. Apparently someone was advertising a motorcycle for sale on eBay and it would seem the seller was in the UK and the buyer in the USA. Now just how the buyer expected to get the bike I do not know. Anyway he sent the money and....nothing. It looks like he was scammed as the seller's email no longer works. Thing is the seller used my company's office address as if it was his!

$3,620 the guy paid and zip for it. A real ****er that because on the whole people using eBay are honest.

Kliro
06-10-2005, 17:57
*Good News* Requested the contact details of the sellar, and got them, just called now, it was a woman, and she said the guy who was going to send it hadn't done so, so she posted it this afternoon herself, by special delivery.

Heres hoping its not BS

Jules
06-10-2005, 18:04
Let us know Kilro :)

Kliro
13-10-2005, 19:19
It wasnt BS, was waiting for me when I got back from my trip :

And instead of the standard headphones, he sent some nice sony EX71's (£30 worth) though Im not sure that was intentionally...

Got a 1 gig Duo on its way now :D

homealone
13-10-2005, 19:26
It wasnt BS, was waiting for me when I got back from my trip :

And instead of the standard headphones, he sent some nice sony EX71's (£30 worth) though Im not sure that was intentionally...

Got a 1 gig Duo on its way now :D

phew - good to hear :tu: