PDA

View Full Version : cold/sore throat remedies

clarie
05-10-2005, 19:21
Aaagh please help. Have had a cold and sore throat for days now and it is miserable. What does everyone else do when they are ill to make themselves feel better? I know it will go away of it's own accord anyway, and that there are people a lot worse of than me and stuff but I just wondered if anyone has any super remedies they know of.

Also what is everyone else's thoughts on taking time off work when ill with flu like symptoms? I have been off for a few days this week and I always think people will probably think I am lazy or lame for doing so when I just have cold and sore throat. But my philosophy is that a) surely it's better I keep my germs away from everyone else for their sake and b) why would I go to work when I am in physical pain??? I think it depends on what job you're in but I still think that there's nowt wrong with staying at home when you feel rough!

marky
05-10-2005, 19:27
:clap: For staying of work, if more people did that then all would not suffer :tu:

As for treatment, we get difflam spray of the doctor, its great :D

homealone
05-10-2005, 19:28
I like natural remedies that are soothing , like warm honey & lemon.

Also one my mum used to give me, which she made by slicing an onion & putting it in a bowl & sprinkling brown (demerara) sugar on - you have to leave it for a while, as the sugar 'draws' juice out of the onion. A couple of teaspoons of the resulting syrup is soothing to a sore throat (& tickly cough, too).

Neither of the above cures you, but does relieve the symptoms, somewhat.

If all else fails - bed rest & paracetamol ;)

- and I agree with taking time off if you are ill. :)

Dave Stones
05-10-2005, 19:33
ive had "freshers flu" for about two weeks now, finally getting rid. in reality it's a horrible sore throat, a super snotty nose and a horrible phlegmmy cough. got to the point a few days ago where i actually thought about going to the doctors, but i toughed it out and its almost gone now. the only medicine i took for my throat was "beechams max strength" sore throat relief lozenges. they were about £2.75 from boots.

other than that, i toughed it out :) went to work every day, went to uni every day etc etc. none of this sick day business for dave ;)

chocolate always helps though :)

i've been told pineapple juice is good for sore throats too... :)

Ramrod
05-10-2005, 19:39
Chomp on a clove or two of raw garlic and gargle with slightly diluted tabasco or the neat spirit of your choice.........works for me! :)

i've been told pineapple juice is good for sore throats too... It is, something to do with the bromelaine in it iirc.

Dave Stones
05-10-2005, 19:40
Chomp on a clove or two of raw garlic and gargle with slightly diluted tabasco or the neat spirit of your choice.........works for me! :)

ramrod reveals himself as a sadist... :erm:

pedantic
05-10-2005, 19:43
Hi Clarie

I've always gone for the old remedies why don't you try rubbing some vick on your chest, maybe russ will help :naughty:

Regards.

clarie
05-10-2005, 19:50
ive had "freshers flu" for about two weeks now

Yeah I blame the b****y freshers...I got caught up in a crowd of them the other day in the union.

other than that, i toughed it out :) went to work every day, went to uni every day etc etc. none of this sick day business for dave ;)

I expect your boss is grateful but your colleagues don't thank you though...;)

me283
05-10-2005, 19:54
If you want instant relief from a sore throat, take some soluble aspirins, dissolve them in water, and gargle with the stuff. As for a cold, I find one of the best ways to shift them is to sweat them out. If you can go to a sauna then that would be great; adding a few drops of Olbas oil to the water that you throw on the coals will help to clear your head too. If you are not well enough, or can't get to a sauna, go to bed with as many layers of clothing on as you can bear, turn the heating up full, and wake up the next morning with a very unpleasant smell, but hopefully a beaten cold.

If the symptons are nearer to flu, I have used Benylin Night And Day treatment in the past. It's a five day course of tablets from the chemist; there are three yellow tablets for each day, and one blue tablet for each night. The blue ones also help you to sleep. Taken with the "sweating" method, they get rid of most colds/flu for me.

Oh, and remember to take lots of fluids.

Good luck, hope you feel better soon.

Halcyon
05-10-2005, 19:58
I had a sore throat yesterday and it was cured by morning.
Basically, you need to buy a bottle of TCP. It smells dreadfuly strong but add that to some water and gargoyle (sp?) it around with your head back before going to bed. But dont swallow it.
By morning, you should be fine. Its very good on killing germs.

Dave Stones
05-10-2005, 20:04
Yeah I blame the b****y freshers...I got caught up in a crowd of them the other day in the union.

I expect your boss is grateful but your colleagues don't thank you though...;)

yeah i work in the hall of residence bar so come into contact daily... i actually got asked about 5 times if i wanted to go home, but i needed the money so i stayed and coughed my way through the shift :D

clarie
05-10-2005, 20:15
yeah i work in the hall of residence bar so come into contact daily... i actually got asked about 5 times if i wanted to go home, but i needed the money so i stayed and coughed my way through the shift

Well I have to say I am very glad I was not served by you, or working with you ;) Having said that I admire your resilience. The slightest pain or discomfort for me and I am out that door, leaving a trail of rather panicked and annoyed looking colleagues behind. Even if I need the money (which is always) I just think sod it, I will live on value super noodles and baked beans for a week as long as I can get into bed and start feeling sorry for myself. Biggest wimp ever.

Dave Stones
05-10-2005, 20:30
Well I have to say I am very glad I was not served by you, or working with you ;) Having said that I admire your resilience. The slightest pain or discomfort for me and I am out that door, leaving a trail of rather panicked and annoyed looking colleagues behind. Even if I need the money (which is always) I just think sod it, I will live on value super noodles and baked beans for a week as long as I can get into bed and start feeling sorry for myself. Biggest wimp ever.

i got put on "tidy the cellar and collect bottles" duty, was coughing too much to serve anyone. all the regulars asked if i was ok etc though :D

Kliro
05-10-2005, 20:41
gargle warm saltwater - worked a charm for me the other week doesnt taste too nice though - it relieved me straight away - and you can do it again when your throat starts to hurt again.

Jules
05-10-2005, 20:41
I was once told a remedy years ago but I think some one was pulling my leg and I have never tried it, as it is a family forum all I will say is it involved swallowing......

me283
05-10-2005, 20:46
I was once told a remedy years ago but I think some one was pulling my leg and I have never tried it, as it is a family forum all I will say is it involved swallowing......

I'm sure it works! At least for ladies... :naughty: ;)

nffc
05-10-2005, 23:05
I had a sore throat yesterday and it was cured by morning.
Basically, you need to buy a bottle of TCP. It smells dreadfuly strong but add that to some water and gargoyle (sp?) it around with your head back before going to bed. But dont swallow it.
By morning, you should be fine. Its very good on killing germs.
What, trichlorophenol? I would never drink that. Normally just stick it out, take the odd aspirins, nowt else.

Hom3r
05-10-2005, 23:17
You could try an old scottish remedy

1. - 1/2 glass Quater fill with whisky,
2. - 1 teaspoon of sugar or honey
3. - fill up with hot water
4. - stir until sugar or honey disolved
5. - drink then goto bed

marky
05-10-2005, 23:20
You could try an old scottish remedy

1. - 1/2 glass Quater fill with whisky,
2. - 1 teaspoon of sugar or honey
3. - fill up with hot water
4. - stir until sugar or honey disolved
5. - drink then goto bed Hot toddy, now that is good :D

Halcyon
06-10-2005, 00:45
If you repeat that scottish remedy a few times, I'm sure your sore throat is the last thing on your mind.

lippy
06-10-2005, 01:18
Claire, did you know your fella spilt paint on your favourite shoes!

Took your mind of it for a few seconds.

Nidge
06-10-2005, 05:40
Aaagh please help. Have had a cold and sore throat for days now and it is miserable. What does everyone else do when they are ill to make themselves feel better? I know it will go away of it's own accord anyway, and that there are people a lot worse of than me and stuff but I just wondered if anyone has any super remedies they know of.

Also what is everyone else's thoughts on taking time off work when ill with flu like symptoms? I have been off for a few days this week and I always think people will probably think I am lazy or lame for doing so when I just have cold and sore throat. But my philosophy is that a) surely it's better I keep my germs away from everyone else for their sake and b) why would I go to work when I am in physical pain??? I think it depends on what job you're in but I still think that there's nowt wrong with staying at home when you feel rough!

Here is one my dad used swear by, get a tot of whiskey with warm water, add some lemon juice and sugar then stir. Drink it then go to bed, in the morning you'll be ok.