PDA

View Full Version : MP3 jukebox for pc

Scarlett
22-10-2003, 11:07
My other half would like a half decent mp3 player for the computer, we had been using the free real one offering but since it just pants we would like to have something that will actually find all of the music files in the directory rather than those that is feels like.

It needs to run under win2K and win 98, also under linux would be nice but not the end of the world.

Scarlett.

BTW, we already have a converter to move the &%£Ãà †â€™ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚£"%!!! real one mp3 format back to mp3's (and many other formats as well) sop we're really only looking for the player.

SMHarman
22-10-2003, 11:54
http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

But only good for w2k.

MetaWraith
22-10-2003, 13:47
My other half would like a half decent mp3 player for the computer, we had been using the free real one offering but since it just pants we would like to have something that will actually find all of the music files in the directory rather than those that is feels like.

It needs to run under win2K and win 98, also under linux would be nice but not the end of the world.

Scarlett.

BTW, we already have a converter to move the &%£Ãà †â€™ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚£"%!!! real one mp3 format back to mp3's (and many other formats as well) sop we're really only looking for the player.

have you tried any of these, winamp, sonique, ultraplayer, musicmatch
personally i use winamp v2.7 (v3 sucks) however there is a new V5 out which is looking pretty good so far.

Chris
22-10-2003, 14:09

But only good for w2k.
I have to agree, I have been using iTunes and an iPod for two years (Mac version) and I would nevr use anything else. The newer iPods can now connect via USB2 as well as Firewire so you are less likely to have a problem plugging it in to your PC. The iPod is a hard-drive based mp3 player so it costs more, but it's well worth it for 10gb (up to 30gb if you have the budget) of storage. You can use the thing as an external hdd on a Mac as well, assume you can do it on a PC too. This week I temporarily moved 5gb of stuff off my internal hdd onto the iPod to make room for a big video project I'm editing at the mo. I'd have been stuck without it (although I am now temporarily stuck without my music instead :( )

Unless you have a vast mp3 library and you want to carry the whole lot around with you, 30gb is excessive, especially as you can now encode in 'mp4' format (better quality, smaller files) so go for a smaller model.

The only drawback, as smharman says, is that iTunes for Windoze requires minimum of Win2k.

SMHarman
22-10-2003, 14:19
I<snip> The iPod is a hard-drive based mp3 player so it costs more, but it's well worth it for 10gb <snip>. This week I temporarily moved 5gb of stuff off my internal hdd onto the iPod to make room for a big video project <snip>

So you still had 5Gb of tunes!? That like 72 hours worth.

<snip>
The only drawback, as smharman says, is that iTunes for Windoze requires minimum of Win2k.

Try running it on OS9. Not.

Theres a 40Gb one now!!!

Chris
22-10-2003, 14:22
So you still had 5Gb of tunes!? That like 72 hours worth.

Try running it on OS9. Not.
No, despite my best efforts I've never managed to put more than 3.5gb onto the iPod ... I emptied the playlists off it, then put it in Hard Disk mode and dragged 5gb of photo and music files from my Mac hdd onto the iPod.

I did run iTunes in os9, with the iPod, until earlier this year, quite happily ... my iMac's over 4 years old and came with os9. Or am I misunderstanding you? :dunce:

SMHarman
22-10-2003, 14:25
<snip>
I did run iTunes in os9, with the iPod, until earlier this year, quite happily ... my iMac's over 4 years old and came with os9. Or am I misunderstanding you? :dunce:

Macintosh Requirements

Mac OS X v10.1.5 or later
Mac OS X v10.2.4 required to share music and burn DVDs
400MHz G3 processor or better
QuickTime 6.2 required to encode AAC
128 MB RAM minimum/256 RAM recommended
DSL, cable modem, or LAN-based high-speed Internet connection recommended for buying and streaming music

Maybe an older iTunes?

Chris
22-10-2003, 14:32

Macintosh Requirements

Mac OS X v10.1.5 or later
Mac OS X v10.2.4 required to share music and burn DVDs
400MHz G3 processor or better
QuickTime 6.2 required to encode AAC
128 MB RAM minimum/256 RAM recommended
DSL, cable modem, or LAN-based high-speed Internet connection recommended for buying and streaming music

Maybe an older iTunes?
Aahh, gotcha ... we're on iTunes 4.1 now, my iMac came with iTunes 2 pre-installed (or was it iTunes 1, it was a while ago so I can't remember...)

My original set up was OS 9.0.2 and 64mb RAM ... 4-and-a-half years later and I now have OS X 10.2.8 and 640mb RAM, and it's still going strong.

And I can't recommend iTunes/iPod highly enough! My iPod (actually it belongs to the missus, but that's academic) is an original 5gb model. The new ones have touch-sensitive controls, a dock for synchronization and massive amounts of storage space. And now with USB2 connection, I could happily have one for music and for carrying large files between home (Mac) and work (PC, Win2k).

Alas, I can only dream of such luxuries ... the little 5gb beast is so well built it looks as solid as the day I bought it. It's going to last for a long time yet. Bummer.

MadGamer
24-10-2003, 21:18
Try Here www.mp3.com