PDA

View Full Version : Slow browsing and baaad pings... :(

bluecube
03-10-2005, 22:58
Hi for about a week or so now I've been putting up with very slow browsing and awful pings, my brother is experiencing pings of 1000 - 2500 in World of Warcraft and I am getting pings of 300ms in Battlefield 2 with a lot of packet loss. A STB reset usually fixes the problem for a while.

I haven't had a problem for 3 years and nothing my end has changed.
I am on 2mb through the STB connected through a USB port. I'm on the Horndean exchange, PO8 0NS.

Any help would be appreciated, cheers.

Chris

MovedGoalPosts
03-10-2005, 23:43
:welcome: to Cable Forum :D

If you have a network card, swapping over to it rather than using the USB can be more reliable, simply as less of the main computer resources are used. However that may not be the issue here.

It's also worth checking your system is free of spyware and the like. And of course you are not using any P2P type software, all of which might be creating upload use, saturating the bandwidth.

Most likely though something has gone wrong with the STB, or the cable connection, especially if it used to be alright. When you are near your computer / STB, call faults. They should be able to check, and if needed can send an engineer to adjust the connection.

crazybones
04-10-2005, 07:58
Hi for about a week or so now I've been putting up with very slow browsing and awful pings, my brother is experiencing pings of 1000 - 2500 in World of Warcraft and I am getting pings of 300ms in Battlefield 2 with a lot of packet loss. A STB reset usually fixes the problem for a while.

I haven't had a problem for 3 years and nothing my end has changed.
I am on 2mb through the STB connected through a USB port. I'm on the Horndean exchange, PO8 0NS.

Any help would be appreciated, cheers.

Chris

Hi Bluecube,

I think that we may have a local issue. I'm also in Horndean and have had browsing problems for the last week. I've ended up swapping proxies several times each day. I'm connected via a network card and had started to wonder whether the new software download to the STB (new blue menus etc) had changed anything.

bluecube
04-10-2005, 11:33
Yeah the new blue menus happened at the same time come to think of it. Do you want to ring support or shall I? :P

Also, P2P and spyware isn't the problem, this must be something wrong with the service as comfirmed by crazybones above. Swapping proxies is fine for browsing, but that's not going to help the high pings.

V3n0m
04-10-2005, 21:55
Yep been experiencing poor ping rate for weeks now and when doing speed tests they are very low,only in the evening though:mad:

bluecube
06-10-2005, 15:22
Hate to pester/bump, but is there no easy solution to this? Do I just ring support?

Thanks again

V3n0m
06-10-2005, 17:37
Well i did and i got a call centre in India i think.....No help:td:

bluecube
06-10-2005, 20:04
I read in the paper a couple of days ago some report on waiting times, BT, British Gas, NTL and a couple of other were featured, according to the article NTL don't have any overseas call centres.

Better ring them.

Safeman
06-10-2005, 21:18
just getting this tonight very high pings browsing is fine doh reset modem still no look broadband medic ran still no join will give them a bell

crazybones
07-10-2005, 07:42
Bluecube - sorry for the delay getting back to you. My browsing speed appears much improved and pings appear normal.

Chrysalis
07-10-2005, 18:27
I read in the paper a couple of days ago some report on waiting times, BT, British Gas, NTL and a couple of other were featured, according to the article NTL don't have any overseas call centres.

Better ring them.

What paper is that the reporter didnt do a very good job.

bluecube
07-10-2005, 19:42
Daily Mail I think. I wouldn't buy that paper.

bluecube
07-10-2005, 23:29
I phoned ntl tech support and they farted around a bit, but eventually got me to type something into a command prompt like this: netstats -ohm (not 100% on that) to show my open connections, I had about 10 TCP connections open and maybe 25 UDP(?) and the guy on tech support said I shouldn't have more than 4 or 5. Apparently something is using my connection. I ran Spybot and it didn't find anything. So I'm stumped, I don't remember exactly what that command was so I can show that again and I don't know what could be using my connection or making my pings shoot up.

Any help would be appreciated...

patrickp
08-10-2005, 00:22
I phoned ntl tech support and they farted around a bit, but eventually got me to type something into a command prompt like this: netstats -ohm (not 100% on that) to show my open connections, I had about 10 TCP connections open and maybe 25 UDP(?) and the guy on tech support said I shouldn't have more than 4 or 5. Apparently something is using my connection. I ran Spybot and it didn't find anything. So I'm stumped, I don't remember exactly what that command was so I can show that again and I don't know what could be using my connection or making my pings shoot up.

Any help would be appreciated...

If you want to find out what a command does, type it in with /?

i.e. netstat /? brings up:

<Displays protocol statistics and current TCP/IP network connections.

NETSTAT [-a] [-e] [-n] [-s] [-p proto] [-r] [interval]

-a Displays all connections and listening ports.
-e Displays Ethernet statistics. This may be combined with the -s
option.
-n Displays addresses and port numbers in numerical form.
-p proto Shows connections for the protocol specified by proto; proto
may be TCP or UDP. If used with the -s option to display
per-protocol statistics, proto may be TCP, UDP, or IP.
-r Displays the routing table.
-s Displays per-protocol statistics. By default, statistics are
shown for TCP, UDP and IP; the -p option may be used to specify
a subset of the default.
interval Redisplays selected statistics, pausing interval seconds
between each display. Press CTRL+C to stop redisplaying
statistics. If omitted, netstat will print the current
configuration information once.>

To show your open connections would be netstat -a Well, that's in W2K, anyway - don't know about XP. But if you use the help switch (/?) that'll get you a list of what the command does and what switches you can use with it.

bluecube
08-10-2005, 00:38
Yeah I looked this up after I posted. I have 10 TCP and 30 UDP connections. Is this too much?

Chrysalis
08-10-2005, 02:01
depends on what you doing, for example if you loading a website it will temporarily open multiple connections, it doesnt download via 1 connection but they are temporary only.

Things that normally leave open connections are irc, msn and telnet sessions, if you have downloads going they will be using connections, p2p will add numerous connections.

Trojans can leave open connections depending on what they are doing but they will normally have at least 1 active connection and 1 listening connection.

netstat -n -a should show everything and adding -b will show the process name.

V3n0m
08-10-2005, 11:56
Yes i was told to do the same thing(netstat)and i had 7 connections running and the ntl guy said that is my problem.....

I explained to him that these were open in the daytime when i was not suffering with ping loss/packet loss so it couldn't be that,he said perhaps there wasn't so much traffic in the daytime so the open connections wouldn't effect it so much:dozey:

I have a program which i can use that turns all activities off on my computer(except my firewall)just for gaming so i ran this and then checked again netstat...i had only one open,so then went online but it was no different with the bad pings and packet losses:(

So what next?

patrickp
08-10-2005, 13:04
depends on what you doing, for example if you loading a website it will temporarily open multiple connections, it doesnt download via 1 connection but they are temporary only.

Things that normally leave open connections are irc, msn and telnet sessions, if you have downloads going they will be using connections, p2p will add numerous connections.

Trojans can leave open connections depending on what they are doing but they will normally have at least 1 active connection and 1 listening connection.

netstat -n -a should show everything and adding -b will show the process name.

Is -b an XP switch? Doesn't do anything in W2K.

Chrysalis
08-10-2005, 22:00
its listed in the syntax when i do /? but when I try it myself the netstat command hangs after the 1st line.