PDA

View Full Version : Tumble Dryers

Tricky
21-10-2003, 22:01
Problem:
Right, It's getting cold outside, I've got a 10 week old kid who pukes, s***s, p***** all day long and therefore the washing pile is growing and I've run out of radiators to dry the stuff.

Solution:
Buy more clothes to get around the problem - Nah, growing out of stuff too quickly and cannot afford to keep up with requirements.

Answer:
Buy a tumble dryer...

New Problem:
Which model? Type etc/Price?

Environment:
It needs to go in my garage (double open approx. 7x7metres)
2x cars and other normal garage stuff housed in there (but plenty of room for a dryer)
Concrete floor (untreated)
No ventalation except lose fitting garage doors (dryer won't be anywhere near them)
I have plenty of power outlets (for some strange reason!)
Painted (whitewashed) walls
My house is built over the garage and the roof isn't sealed

Any help/ideas

homealone
21-10-2003, 22:11
Problem:
Right, It's getting cold outside, I've got a 10 week old kid who pukes, s***s, p***** all day long and therefore the washing pile is growing and I've run out of radiators to dry the stuff.

Solution:
Buy more clothes to get around the problem - Nah, growing out of stuff too quickly and cannot afford to keep up with requirements.

Answer:
Buy a tumble dryer...

New Problem:

Environment:
2x cars and other normal garage stuff housed in there (but plenty of room for a dryer)
No ventalation except lose fitting garage doors (dryer won't be anywhere near them)

Any help/ideas

whatever unit you buy, in my opinion vent the warm, damp air from the dryer outside, if the garage has a draughty door, it will be cold in there - all the water will just condense on everything inside, otherwise?

altis
21-10-2003, 22:13
A dutch drying rack is very cheap to run :p

We have one in the kitchen and it's brill - dunno about all those kiddie-clothes though - but still, you've 49 square metres to play with in the garage :D

Xaccers
21-10-2003, 22:18
Could get a condensing dryer
We got one in my GF's kitchen.
You just have to remember to empty the water bottle

Shaun
21-10-2003, 22:26
I have seen (in the innovations catalogue) a box (about £14.99) that fits on the end of the hose from the dryer and condenses all the moisture from the hot air. May be worth a look ;)

Xaccers
21-10-2003, 22:33
I have seen (in the innovations catalogue) a box (about £14.99) that fits on the end of the hose from the dryer and condenses all the moisture from the hot air. May be worth a look ;)

Don't bother, they don't work :(

homealone
21-10-2003, 22:33

yeah I tried one of those - you have to put ice in, for it to work properly - :blush: - don't go there:shrug:

Shaun
21-10-2003, 23:02

:o

Xaccers
21-10-2003, 23:10

Sorry, that may have come out harsh!
I've tried one and it didn't work, nice idea tho

yesman
21-10-2003, 23:18
Problem:

Solution:

Answer:
Buy a tumble dryer...

New Problem:

Environment:

Any help/ideas
Iadom is your man.

SMHarman
22-10-2003, 01:49
Condeser dryer or Normal dryer and a trip to HSS to get a 4in core cutter. Make hole through gge wall behind dryer for vent. Get vent from B&Q

Bosch good dryers.

handyman
22-10-2003, 03:58
you can get vent kits arond £15 from most washer shops. Just knock out one brick and it gives you a external vent for your tumbler.

If you have the space you can pick up a full size tumbler for £100 or if not the variants on the white knight small tumbler are all great (white knight, electra, creda etc)

tumblers are much of a muchness tbo

Nemesis
22-10-2003, 08:45
We did a lot of looking and ended up with a Bosch condenser drier, never looked back ...

iadom
22-10-2003, 16:30
Tumble dryers in general are more reliable than washing machines.
Modern condensor dryers are now very efficient, but a little more expensive.
If possible avoid buying an Italian made tumble dryer.

Points to watch.
Always keep the filters clean.
Make sure that any vent hose is not kinked or otherwise restriced.
Unless in an emergency, do not stop the dryer mid cycle for prolonged periods of time. If you do want to reduce the time you have set, you must allow the machine to complete the last ten minutes cool tumble.
Failure to do this will result in premature thermostat failure.

Bex
22-10-2003, 17:53

we had one and it worked just fine :D

handyman
22-10-2003, 17:54
What is your verdict on these iadom?
Download Failed (1)

white knight 427WV £139.00

Or its smaller version

Download Failed (1)

white knight CL37 £89.95

nb. size difference not so great in real life

Chris
22-10-2003, 18:51
Tumble dryers in general are more reliable than washing machines.
Modern condensor dryers are now very efficient, but a little more expensive.
If possible avoid buying an Italian made tumble dryer.

Points to watch.
Always keep the filters clean.
Make sure that any vent hose is not kinked or otherwise restriced.
Unless in an emergency, do not stop the dryer mid cycle for prolonged periods of time. If you do want to reduce the time you have set, you must allow the machine to complete the last ten minutes cool tumble.
Failure to do this will result in premature thermostat failure.

See, this is why I love this site. No matter what the question, there's always an expert on it somewhere nearby!

ntluser
22-10-2003, 19:29
Download Failed (1)

Or its smaller version

Download Failed (1)

white knight CL37 £89.95

We have one and highly recommend it. Make sure you get the venting kit which fastens on the front and vents your hot air outside.

iadom
22-10-2003, 20:43
http://www.crosslee.co.uk/graphics/photos/dryers/cl427.jpg

Or its smaller version

http://img.kelkoo.com/shopbot/34001/medium/06/84/68425.jpg

white knight CL37 £89.95

No real problems other than spares availabilty. I always found Philips, the original owner of this brand to be one of the worst for supplying spares to the trade. I have a mate who is ex Philips, so I pass all calls on to him. From my experience of White Night dryers, they are quite sound.

Tricky
24-10-2003, 08:01
Cheers all and thanks for the suggestions - One problem I have is that the garage is underground! and therefore I cannot vent! - Do the condensing ones suffer the same venting requirements?

SMHarman
24-10-2003, 11:06
Cheers all and thanks for the suggestions - One problem I have is that the garage is underground! and therefore I cannot vent! - Do the condensing ones suffer the same venting requirements?

Well you would need a long vent run, but using smooth solid venting you could run 4 meters + easily. This can go to the garage door and vent above the lintol.

Condenser dryers do not require venting. They have a refrigeration system inside to condense and dehumidify the air coming from the clothes.

This water needs to be removed. Not owning one I can't be sure, but I think the cheaper ones require you to empty and pour away the water. The more expensive ones might be able to be connected to draininage so you don't have to do anything. ANyway all should be able to be operated as a standalone machine, the only connection being to the power.

iadom
24-10-2003, 15:44
Cheers all and thanks for the suggestions - One problem I have is that the garage is underground! and therefore I cannot vent! - Do the condensing ones suffer the same venting requirements?As I mentioned before, modern condensor dryers are very efficient. You do have to empty the water container, but an added bonus is that the water is distilled so it is ideal for use in your steam iron.
They don't have a refrigeration system as such, just a simple metal heat exchanger, just need to keep the heat exchanger and the filters very clean.

The operation really is very simple. The dryer has two fans unlike a conventional vented dryer. One fan is circulating the warm moist air, the second fan draws in cold air. The two streams of air are passed through a heat exchanger or condensor. Basically a large box with very thin alloy plates inside. The water condenses on the cold side of the plates and drains into the water container.

No venting of any kind is required.

zoombini
24-10-2003, 15:59
On the other hand, Argos to a "maiden" that allows you to hang all the kids clothes on it in front of the radiator.
And that costs less than a tenner & your house warms up at the same time.

We have 3 kids & the need to keep up the wash is immense, so we have a large drum tumble drier, however with the running costs involved its cheaper to put the heating on & dry the clothers on the maiden(s).

If you can vent one, I'd go for a rear venter as its a pain keeping removing the pipe from a front venter.

PS, if your house is built over the garage & the roof isnt seald, does it leak when it rains? :naughty:

SMHarman
24-10-2003, 17:19
On the other hand, Argos to a "maiden" that allows you to hang all the kids clothes on it in front of the radiator.
And that costs less than a tenner & your house warms up at the same time.
<snip>

Don't you get mould growing on the windows though. It makes a very humid environment to live in.

zoombini
24-10-2003, 19:24
Open & clean them occasionally.... :D

Costs less than running a dryer..

Tricky
25-10-2003, 19:15
As I mentioned before, modern condensor dryers are very efficient. You do have to empty the water container, but an added bonus is that the water is distilled so it is ideal for use in your steam iron.
They don't have a refrigeration system as such, just a simple metal heat exchanger, just need to keep the heat exchanger and the filters very clean.

The operation really is very simple. The dryer has two fans unlike a conventional vented dryer. One fan is circulating the warm moist air, the second fan draws in cold air. The two streams of air are passed through a heat exchanger or condensor. Basically a large box with very thin alloy plates inside. The water condenses on the cold side of the plates and drains into the water container.

No venting of any kind is required.

Cheers iadom - Looks like the condensor one gets the vote for me, all I need now is a recommended model - Suggestions?

iadom
25-10-2003, 21:35
Cheers iadom - Looks like the condensor one gets the vote for me, all I need now is a recommended model - Suggestions?You can't go to far wrong with dryers, they are more reliable than washing machines due to the fact that they are far less complex and do not suffer damage if badly loaded. The Hotpoint/Creda models are both very sound and in fact are the same machine based on an established long term Creda design still manufactured in this country, the Hotpoint has a five years parts g/tee unlike the Creda.
the White Night range is also sound, it is basically an old Philips design manufactured in the UK by a management buy out from Philips some years ago. The Bosch range is also very good but spares for German appliances can be difficult to obtain and do tend to be more expensive. Other German makes such as Miele etc do not represent value for money, even though they are very good. As I said before I would avoid any Italian made dryer, with their climate you would not expect them to make good dryers. I do not have any info on LG ( Korean) or Beko (Turkish) and all the Hoover washers and dryers manufactured in the last 5 years are now basically 100% Candy (Italian)