PDA

View Full Version : Request Help of NTL Employee

sTeDay
02-10-2005, 23:02
Hi,

I have a 3COM CMX modem that I purchased ~ 5 years ago.

For the past several years, I have found my modem to keep disconnecting and reconnecting immediatly. This happens every 2-4 hours, and its now becoming an annoyance. I wont be downloading / uploading anything when I notice my internet dies, and then comes alive again.

As there isnt a clean method for retrieving the diagnostics from my router, I managed to installed hperterminal and have it logging any disconnections to a text file. If it would be possible for someone to take a closer look for me that would be great, I can provide my MAC, the dumps (look very complex), or anything else you require. I didnt know if I should paste the dump as it gives IPs, MAC Addresses etc ... so would rather keep this private with NTL Employee.

Incidently, I have changed all cables, replace router, had cable modem connected to PC, replaced network cards, replaced PC, and probably anythign else that could be replaced. And yes, I rebooted my computer :)

Florence
02-10-2005, 23:05
Hello and :welcome: to Cableforum I think you might aswell have a new modem as NTL are no charging you the same as those who have NTL modems.

MovedGoalPosts
02-10-2005, 23:30
If you are getting cut offs that frequently something needs to be changed or adjusted. Have you spoken to faults?

You do say you have problems uploading / downloading. Make sure that you are not saturating the upload bandwidth by trying to upload at full speed at the same time as downloading. Saturated uploads can cause your connection to trip out.

Wakar
03-10-2005, 19:22
I wont be downloading / uploading anything when I notice my internet dies, and then comes alive again.

================================================== =========

The above may answer your question Rob C..

cheers wakar

sTeDay
14-10-2005, 21:58
I like to idle in IRC, and see this happening regularly. IRC, Yahoo IM, all die at the same time. I didnt want to comit myself to new modem, as I believe this ties me into a 1 year contract with NTL (thinking of switching maybe to bulldog). Id like to stay with NTL, just wondered if someone could point to where the potential problem is.

quadplay
14-10-2005, 23:32
If your modem has a fault, it will be replaced free of charge - and this does not commit you to a further minimum period in any way. Frequent disconnections (where the SYNC/RDY lights go out on the newer CMs) are NOT normal, and if you call Broadband Technical Support they will investigate.

Chris W
14-10-2005, 23:45
Firstly... if you want to get away from frequent disconnects, do NOT go to Bulldog! Plenty of threads on here about Bulldog's shoddy service...

Also, :welcome: and if you want me to have a look at the logs, PM them to me and i'll see what is going on :) The CMX's are extremely reliable though, so it is more likely to be a power level/ noise issue than a problem with the modem itself....

either way an engineer would be required and what jimbo said applies ^^^

Pian
15-10-2005, 12:43
When did this start getting worse for you? I too am a CMX user and I found that things got dramatically worse at the time they upgraded the service earlier this year.

I have had an engineer out, and have even had a new cable pulled through from the green box. Still get regular drop-outs, though. It seems to be a particular problem if the download is maxing out (dl'ing from newsgroups in particular for me).

Do let me know if you choose to go to anoter ISP - I'd be interested in your conclusion. In the mean time, learn to love the silence of a drop out!

sTeDay
15-10-2005, 14:54
Id say my probs started two years ago... never did anything about it, as i could cope with it ... but its getting worse.

monkey2468
15-10-2005, 14:58
Power Levels To The Modem Could Be Borderline. I Would Call The Tsb.

Chris W
15-10-2005, 21:01
have now had a look at the logs from the CMX and everything seems normal... only thing i can't see there is the SNR which may be causing problems...

I would definately advise a call to Tech Support though as they can run full diagnostics on the modem :)