PDA

View Full Version : computer crashing when connected to internet

leigh_babez
02-10-2005, 14:20
My computer has been crashing for some time now, and i've just figured out what the problem may be; it wasn't loading up at all the other day so i disconnected all the wires then put them back in still the same problem-computer resetting, i then just put the basic wires back in my computer (the screen, keyboard, mouse and power) and it loaded up fine, i then thought i'd check the internet out so i put the usb cable back in for my internet and it crashed again i took the cable back out and it loaded up fine, i tried putting the cable back in when my computer was up and running and it crashed straight away. i tried several usb ports they was all making my computer reset, i've putting in a different usb for something else on my computer and that was fine, so its definately the usb for the internet and not my usb ports!
So i thought i'd try ethernet and still having the same problem, it loads up much better with the ethernet but every hour or so my computer will reset, can anybody identify the probnlem here - do i have a faulty ntl box ?? thanks in advance!!!

Roy MM
02-10-2005, 14:24
:welcome: to cable forum.

Are you using a cable modem or STB to connect to the internet? also what OS are you using.

leigh_babez
02-10-2005, 14:27
using cable modem
on windows xp professional (service pack 2)

:welcome: to cable forum.

Are you using a cable modem or STB to connect to the internet? also what OS are you using.

Roy MM
02-10-2005, 14:32
Try shutting down PC and modem, boot up modem wait for lights to settle then boot up PC.

leigh_babez
02-10-2005, 14:35
have tried this on many occasions.

Try shutting down PC and modem, boot up modem wait for lights to settle then boot up PC.

marky
02-10-2005, 14:38
Have you run full antispy and antivirus scans, as there are some nasty bugs that can stop a system dead :)

Roy MM
02-10-2005, 14:39
have tried this on many occasions.

Maybe need a new modem, wait to hear from other members here they may have other ideas.

leigh_babez
02-10-2005, 14:50
i reckon maybe a new modem as run anti viruses reguarly.

02-10-2005, 16:24
I'd be very surprised if its the modem itself causing the problem... if i were to hazard a guess, i'd suspect spware, adware, virus or network stack issue of some kind

there's plenty of free applications to check for spyware:
adaware
spybot
MS antispyware
MS malicous software removal tool

and recently have found the ewido security suite to be great...its a paid for application...but is free for 14 days, with full functionality.

info here on win xp tcp/ip refresh
http://www.chetnet.co.uk/articles/index.php?page=index_v2&id=35&c=5

Roy MM
02-10-2005, 16:27
I'd be very surprised if its the modem itself causing the problem... if i were to hazard a guess, i'd suspect spware, adware, virus or network stack issue of some kind

there's plenty of free applications to check for spyware:
adaware
spybot
MS antispyware
MS malicous software removal tool

and recently have found the ewido security suite to be great...its a paid for application...but is free for 14 days, with full functionality.

info here on win xp tcp/ip refresh
http://www.chetnet.co.uk/articles/index.php?page=index_v2&id=35&c=5

But if he can't get on the net how's he going to d/l antivirus software?

02-10-2005, 17:21
But if he can't get on the net how's he going to d/l antivirus software?
perhaps use a friend or relatives pc to download em and copy to cd !!!

leigh_babez
02-10-2005, 17:25
i have the internet just disconnects after so many minutes and resets the whole computer, i have the latest spyware and anti-virus programes and are up to date and my computer is free from all spyware and viuses, its the internet cable modem box that seems to be the problem and not anything to do with my computer. thanks for the advice though

Roy MM
02-10-2005, 17:32
You could try replacing the network cable as a first option, if that fails i would be looking at the modem.

Paul K
02-10-2005, 17:33
How can you be sure? If your pc is crashing while connected to the internet it could be that a file needed by the internet connection harware is damaged and needs replacing.
If it's stable without the internet connected it doesn't automatically point to the modem being at fault. I notice you are connecting via the USB dongle, can you connect via the ethernet cable alone as sometimes it's the USB chipset on the motherboard that cannot handle the connection.
Just re-read your original post and you have tried the ethernet port, odds are that it isn't the modem and could be an issue with your motherboard or installation. Can you try another PC on the connection at all to double check it?

Roy MM
02-10-2005, 17:36
So i thought i'd try ethernet and still having the same problem, it loads up much better with the ethernet but every hour or so my computer will reset

Paul K
02-10-2005, 17:38
So i thought i'd try ethernet and still having the same problem, it loads up much better with the ethernet but every hour or so my computer will reset
I know ;) I edited my post accordingly as I missed that first time round. Would be very very suprised if it was purely the modem to blame here. 9 times out of 10 it's a PC issue, normally a corruption or damaged driver.
A reboot into safe mode (with networking) can sometimes help pinpoint the problem.

02-10-2005, 17:42
ok so its the same issue with usb and ethernet... I'm still of the opinion that its something on the pc rather than the cable modem itself causing the problem... although i have seen stranger things , so obviously cant rule it out. just think its worth exploring other avenue's before trying to get a replacement modem...still having the fault..and incurring a charge in the process.

are u able to check the event viewer via the control panel then admin tools ?? any logs for the system ??? if the pc is shutting down on its own...there should be something in there.

leigh_babez
04-10-2005, 21:03
are u able to check the event viewer via the control panel then admin tools ?? any logs for the system ??? if the pc is shutting down on its own...there should be something in there.

Ok, from using this info i've noticed on the system that iâ₠¬ÃƒÆ’¢â€žÂ¢m getting two continuous errors that keep recurring at the time when my computer resets:

Source-Service control manager:

Description-The Routing and Remote Access service terminated with service-specific error 340 (0x154).

And

Source-System Error

Description-Error code 1000007e, parameter1 c0000005, parameter2 81c2e095, parameter3 f8a1597c, parameter4 f8a15678.

Not sure what this all means and if it makes sense †“ hope it does and someone can help.

Have also noticed that as well as pc resetting i'm losing internet connection and have to reset pc to gain back the connection, the lights on my cable modem work as though i'm gaining internet connection when I canââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t!!!
the resetting error isn't as bad as when im using ethernet cable as it was when using usb as i couldnt even load up my computer using the usb it would continously reset before loading up desktop

04-10-2005, 22:25
did a little searching on google..firstly i found nothing with the full error code..but found these when searching on 'Description-Error code 1000007e, parameter1 c0000005'

http://www.techsupportforum.com/computer/topic/36259-1.html
http://help.lockergnome.com/index.php?showtopic=19924
http://www.softwaretipsandtricks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1865
http://www.highdots.com/forums/windows-xp-help/windows-xp-shutting-down-no-1400995.html
and more of the same here http://www.google.com/search?q=Description-Error%20code%201000007e,%20parameter1%20c0000005&num=20

hope these are of some help dude....in the meantime i'll see if i can dig up something specific

leigh_babez
06-10-2005, 19:49
think i may have sussed it, does this make sense to anyone:::
my computer hasn't seemed to detect any problems or restart since a friend of mine put my local server in the HTTP: port on internet explorer/internet options/connections/LAN settings/advanced