PDA

View Full Version : Upload speed

kamakazi
02-10-2005, 10:53
Im on the 2meg connection getting good download speeds.

However, im getting 175 kb/s upload which is slower than it useed to be using the speed test from ADSL guide.

Does anyone know the cause of this or what needs doing. The onl thing ive done to my netork recently is upgrade my router to the belkin pre N mimo.

Hope someone can help.

Thanks

Ignition
02-10-2005, 11:28
Anything wrong apart from this slight drop in upload?

Could just be the speedtest being a little off, it happens at times.

If it's not causing any performance issues and all you've seen is a slight drop on a speedtest wouldn't worry about it too much.

Consider trying the max speed test on http://www.numion.com see if that gives similar result.

IanUK
02-10-2005, 12:23
That numion max speed test gives me less than 1 meg through my default Poplar proxy but almost 3 meg through Colchester proxy.

*sigh*

kamakazi
02-10-2005, 17:24
It definitely is not normal as i usually get about 250+.

The reason i noticed is that when im uploding things at 15b/s i cant even load any webpages.

Can anyone suggest reasons for this or possible solutions?

simpsonsFAN
02-10-2005, 17:33
It definitely is not normal as i usually get about 250+.No you dident because the upload speed on the 2Mbps pack is only 200k.
The packs are as follows (download speed/upload speed):

300k / 64k
1Mbps / 100k
2Mbps / 200k
3Mbps / 300k

For as long as ive had broadband, I have always found that maxing my upload speed kills my download speed - I dont know why though, I belive it could be a limiation of the TCP/IP standard (could be wrong though).
-Chris

jrhnewark
02-10-2005, 20:49
I dont know why though, I belive it could be a limiation of the TCP/IP standard (could be wrong though).
That's exactly it. For each packet received, TCP demands a return message saying that the packet has been received - if the upstream is saturated, that message can't go back and therefore new packets won't be sent downstream. :)