PDA

View Full Version : How and where can I upload a 60MB file

WSHBB
21-10-2003, 19:02
I want to put a 60MB video file on the internet for other to see. How, where and with what can I do this?

Steve H
21-10-2003, 19:07
I want to put a 60MB video file on the internet for other to see. How, where and with what can I do this?

Well Simply by upload it to the internet :)

Problem being, NTL only give you 55mb of space :(

You would have to sign up for a hosting package, Check THIS SITE (http://www.i-websolutions.co.uk/nthwwhosting.html) for hosting deals.

WSHBB
21-10-2003, 19:09
I have never done this type of thing before. How do I upload it to my area on ntl? I may be able to knock off a few MB by compression.

Jon M
21-10-2003, 19:10
how? - by putting it on a server with sufficient space and bandwidth to host it

where? - on your own server or someone who is nice enough to host it for you and give you ftp access

with what? - an ftp client like: http://www.smartftp.com

as i'm in a nice mood i'll let you upload it to my hosting server... depending on how many people want to download it and for how long it needs to be there.

downquark1
21-10-2003, 19:13
Silly question but have you tried to compress it?

Steve H
21-10-2003, 19:13
I have never done this type of thing before. How do I upload it to my area on ntl? I may be able to knock off a few MB by compression.

Yeah, Try Zipping it up with Winzip, or RAR.. Might take a bit of it off.

To access your NTL Space.. Its..

ftp://username:Password@upload.ntlworld.com/

Just drag and drop the files like a normal folder...

Jon M
21-10-2003, 19:16
if you want to compress it i recommend this : http://www.7-zip.com

to upload to your own ntl webspace.. just put these details into smartftp:

server: "upload.ntlworld.com"
username: (your ntl account name)
password: (your account password)

philip.j.fry
21-10-2003, 20:02
If the video is already compressed with a video codec it's unlikely that rar or zip compression will take off much more than a few k. Re-encoding would be the best way.

trebor
21-10-2003, 21:02
why not just stream it from your pc or have it as a download on your pc. that way all you need is a link on a website back to the file on your pc.
I wouldn't say your ip address will change often enough to be a real problem.

downquark1
21-10-2003, 21:03
If the video is already compressed with a video codec it's unlikely that rar or zip compression will take off much more than a few k. Re-encoding would be the best way.you are quite right, but we only need 5 mb less. Compressing may just do it.

People tend to compress mac files twice with 2 programs! It's quite irratating

WSHBB
21-10-2003, 22:13
I've got the file down to 55MB by altering the length.

Smart FTP keeps saying server timeout after a few MB and stopping uploading. Whats up?

Jon M
21-10-2003, 22:26
the ntl servers are notoriously unreliable and over-loaded.. i'd keep trying.. you're more likely to succeed in off peak times

don't forget my offer if this method fails

trebor
21-10-2003, 23:37

Smart FTP keeps saying server timeout after a few MB and stopping uploading. Whats up?

try a copy and paste using internet explorer and steves address format in reply
number 6

homealone
21-10-2003, 23:43

smart ftp is detecting you don't have enough space to upload to - check your webspace is clear before you try the upload - and get the file a bit smaller, say 50 MB?

altis
21-10-2003, 23:50

Are you using a set top box? The 2000 and 4000 series boxes are notoriously fickle with large uploads. :shocked:

WSHBB
22-10-2003, 01:27
Its now uploaded (with SACM) so big thanks to all for the help.

NtlRebelReborn
22-10-2003, 02:06
O.k have to ask, what is the video off and do you have a link.

Sorry but I have a curious nature. :juggle: