PDA

View Full Version : i dont like alcohol!

kronas
30-09-2005, 01:06
currently suffering from a sore throat (hope its not full blown flu as this is how it starts) anyway currently suckling away on strepsils and i noticed:

dichlorobenzyl alcohol 1.2mg

so is it alcohol or what ?

AndrewJ
30-09-2005, 01:08
Amazing what contains Achohol these days, I remember a woman being arrested for DUI, turned out a Tesco mouthspray gave the impression on the test machine she was drunk.

But I do believe there is many chemical forms and uses for alcholol, so this is not the exact same type as you would find in a pint at your local.

kronas
30-09-2005, 01:10
But I do believe there is many chemical forms and uses for alcholol, so this is not the exact same type as you would find in a pint at your local.

oh ok, im not paranoid just thought its something i would ask, i know about mouthwash.

AndrewJ
30-09-2005, 01:11
I am sure some scientist here will post more details soon.

punky
30-09-2005, 01:15
currently suffering from a sore throat (hope its not full blown flu as this is how it starts) anyway currently suckling away on strepsils and i noticed:

dichlorobenzyl alcohol 1.2mg

so is it alcohol or what ?

Well, technically yes. Alcohol is actually a very general term for a group of organic substances (carbon based) that have a OH (hydroxyl) group in them. Methanol is also a form of alcohol, but you'd have to be hardcore to drink it. The alcohol that most people drink is a form of ethanol. There are many variations of alcohol based on the c-X-OH formula though.

Alcohols are used in medicines really as an anaesthetic, numb, relive from pain. Its a different substance, and use in an entirely different way to conventional alcohol which is used to alter states of mind. If you are worried about religious objections, there's no way back when scriptures were written they understood chemical components and bonds. Most of the periodic table wasn't discovered back then either.

I don't know specifically what that " dichlorobenzyl alcohol" is (well I know benzene is nasty and lives in a ring, so it probably has 2 cholorine atoms attached). Its dichlorobenzyl dissolved in ethanol maybe?

kronas
30-09-2005, 01:20
thanks guys, looks like i cant say ive never had alcohol anymore :D and if i was religious i would do my nut in ;)

punky
30-09-2005, 01:22
thanks guys, looks like i cant say ive never had alcohol anymore :D and if i was religious i would do my nut in ;)

Well, like I said, it isn't altering your state of mind, so I still think you are an alcoholic virgin :)

I'd very much doubt this would be the first time you have ingested any alcoholic based compound. They are in a lot of medicines, and things like mouthwash as you know.

kronas
30-09-2005, 01:26
ive had mouthwash, i dont think its in toothpaste, nothing else i can say ive knowingly done so, but ok alcohol virgin it is ;)

Graham M
30-09-2005, 01:31
ive had mouthwash, i dont think its in toothpaste, nothing else i can say ive knowingly done so, but ok alcohol virgin it is ;)

Strange person... :Yikes::disturbd:

kronas
30-09-2005, 01:33
Strange person... :Yikes::disturbd:

lol, me strange whats that aboot ;)

Graham
30-09-2005, 13:49

Well I've done mouthwash, which has alcohol in, but I don't swallow :D

homealone
30-09-2005, 14:00
Well, technically yes. Alcohol is actually a very general term for a group of organic substances (carbon based) that have a OH (hydroxyl) group in them. Methanol is also a form of alcohol, but you'd have to be hardcore to drink it. The alcohol that most people drink is a form of ethanol. There are many variations of alcohol based on the c-X-OH formula though.

Alcohols are used in medicines really as an anaesthetic, numb, relive from pain. Its a different substance, and use in an entirely different way to conventional alcohol which is used to alter states of mind. If you are worried about religious objections, there's no way back when scriptures were written they understood chemical components and bonds. Most of the periodic table wasn't discovered back then either.

I don't know specifically what that " dichlorobenzyl alcohol" is (well I know benzene is nasty and lives in a ring, so it probably has 2 cholorine atoms attached). Its dichlorobenzyl dissolved in ethanol maybe?

good explanation, Punky - it will be a benzene ring with 2 chlorines & an OH group.

Re: Kronas 'virgin' status, one group of compounds, known as 'sugar alcohols' are used extensively in confectionery (polo mints & chewing gum, for example), & toothpaste, as they are sweet, but don't cause tooth decay. They include Sorbitol & Xylitol ;)

Angua
30-09-2005, 14:02
Shouldn't use too much aftershave either then (full of alcohol).

orangebird
30-09-2005, 14:04
So are lots of anti-perspirants.

Graham M
30-09-2005, 14:28
but I don't swallow :D

Thats not what I've heard :D:angel:

Graham
30-09-2005, 14:30
but I don't swallow :D

Thats not what I've heard :D:angel:

:bsmack:

Salu
30-09-2005, 15:42
Just gargle with soluble aspirin rather than waste your money on strepsils and other throat lozengers. The dichlorobenzyl alcohol's purpose is to act as an antimicrobial agent to "kill the germs" whose efficacy is arguable but as the nasopharangeal tissue is already inflamed, the aspirin which is an anti-inflammatory drug will have a greater impact. Take paracetamol if you are feeling ill with it.

Spit it out afterwards, no need to swallow it.

Doctor's orders ;)

kronas
30-09-2005, 15:46

i dont swallow it, it really is stinging though :erm:

thanks for the advice salu, its feeling much better now after the strepsils.

Graham
30-09-2005, 19:15

i dont swallow it, it really is stinging though :erm:

If you think that's bad don't *EVER* make the mistake of gargling with TCP!

Sooner use the Wire Brush and Dettol treatment...! :eek:

Jules
30-09-2005, 20:27
Just gargle with soluble aspirin rather than waste your money on strepsils and other throat lozengers. The dichlorobenzyl alcohol's purpose is to act as an antimicrobial agent to "kill the germs" whose efficacy is arguable but as the nasopharangeal tissue is already inflamed, the aspirin which is an anti-inflammatory drug will have a greater impact. Take paracetamol if you are feeling ill with it.

Spit it out afterwards, no need to swallow it.

Doctor's orders ;)

What do you recommend for me Salu as I am allergic to aspirin

Salu
01-10-2005, 12:22
There's no convicing evidence that mouthwashes and lozenges actually expedite or alleviate sore throats. Swallowing actually closes off the airway (epiglottis) so the medication may not get to the inflammed area (depending where it is). Gargling gets it to the larynx...but probably the most help is the increased moisture. But tbh, there's no convicing evidence that gargling with anything actully helps.....maybe psychosomatically though??

You could dilute some salt in warm water and gargle with this but there is not magic cure yet......

If you are allergic to aspirin then obviously don't use it!

sir_drinks_alot
01-10-2005, 12:27
I do just about to have my first drink cheers. :beer:

marky
01-10-2005, 12:31
I just get Difflam spray from my doctor, never looked whats in it :shrug: