PDA

View Full Version : [Merged] *All* 300k---->1Mb Discussion.

jtwn
29-09-2005, 20:49
http://www.ntlworld.com/microsites/greatnews/?page_zone=219.4.1

Well there it is.

Angua
29-09-2005, 20:51
And..................................? :shrug: What about caps?

jtwn
29-09-2005, 20:53
Ah...its always good news first with ntl ;)

Paul
29-09-2005, 21:05
And..................................? :shrug: What about caps?What about them ?

Robc66
29-09-2005, 21:06
It looks like its going to be cap free to me.

Mal
29-09-2005, 21:15
It looks like its going to be cap free to me.
You mean that they will have one set of 1mb customers cap free and another set with a cap (well at least until the 10mb increase comes in anyway)?

Robc66
29-09-2005, 21:17
You mean that they will have one set of 1mb customers cap free and another set with a cap (well at least until the 10mb increase comes in anyway)?
Well if you remember they said they will offer usage free speeds....maybe 1mb will be the slowest usage free speed? for 17.99?? Im just guessing so dont think that is what is actually going to happen lol

tony
29-09-2005, 22:28
I have had the ntl email a while back informing me that they were upgrading me to 1mb and in the email it stated -

"To enable us to offer this super-fast service for the same price, we will be introducing a usage allowance of 3GB per month"

Also there is an opt out to stay with 300k and 30gb, which i chose to do.

jtwn
29-09-2005, 23:13
Yes but that was then, this is now.

It looks like 'opting out' is no more as it does say they are going to automatically upgrade all 300k customers.

Matth
29-09-2005, 23:21
It seems the optout site can still be reached
http://www.ntlworld.com/microsites/optout/

Must dig out the billing id tomorrow and DO IT!
I'd have vacillated over the originally reported/rumoured 5Gb cap, but 3Gb is just too close for comfort.

jtwn
29-09-2005, 23:44
Ah/bah. Look how many apps you can download!! One!!! :D

Martin
30-09-2005, 02:12
http://www.ntlworld.com/microsites/greatnews/?page_zone=219.4.1

Well there it is.

I remember a bit back they said current 300k customers could upgrade to 1mb but there was an admin charge. I never bothered ringing up so now they can do it anyway for no extra charge. LOL

jono_h
30-09-2005, 06:49
I think (hope) that they are going to automatically upgrade all 300k users who don't opt out.

And even if you do opt out, it is stated during the process that you will be upgraded briefly before being returned to 300k - to give you a taster of 1mb.

ScallyPete
30-09-2005, 10:48
I think (hope) that they are going to automatically upgrade all 300k users who don't opt out.

And even if you do opt out, it is stated during the process that you will be upgraded briefly before being returned to 300k - to give you a taster of 1mb.

I have experienced this. I opted out a few days ago and have since been upgraded to 1mb! Does this mean I'm going to be capped for the period of time I've been upgraded?!

I don't want the capped service! :td:

jono_h
30-09-2005, 15:46
Pete,

The screenshots that I took (just in case!) during the opt-out process state the 'trial' upgrade will be subject to your usual usage limits. So I would expect to get 1MB speed at 300k cap for a brief period before they return you to 300k.
That is my understanding from the information given during opt-out - who knows what will happen in real life!

ScallyPete
30-09-2005, 16:59
Pete,

The screenshots that I took (just in case!) during the opt-out process state the 'trial' upgrade will be subject to your usual usage limits. So I would expect to get 1MB speed at 300k cap for a brief period before they return you to 300k.
That is my understanding from the information given during opt-out - who knows what will happen in real life!

Thank god for that!

I'm on the internet over 12 hours a day as I work from home and my connection is shared between 2 PCs so would easily use my limit up within a couple of days!

I was worried I was going to incur some penalty for it! It's vital I stay on the 300k service with the 30gb cap. :tu:

Schwong
30-09-2005, 21:46
Erm, i dont suppose browsing websites and playing games will contribute to the bandwidth usage will it? and if so, how badly? I use the computer quite alot, not all day but at least 5hrs or more if i do use it.
When i use the computer i usually browse websites and play games, roughly i only download about 1-1.5gbs a month, often alot less.

Chris W
30-09-2005, 21:49
Thank god for that!

I'm on the internet over 12 hours a day as I work from home and my connection is shared between 2 PCs so would easily use my limit up within a couple of days!

I was worried I was going to incur some penalty for it! It's vital I stay on the 300k service with the 30gb cap. :tu:

urm.... you might incur a penalty for using a residential connection for a business though... if i were you i would check your terms and conditions regarding use of the broadband and not mention to ntl about working from home ;)

Matth
30-09-2005, 23:44
Well, I'll opt-out, and then see how the lowest tier pans out after the next round of upgrades is completed - going ADSL is an option, as there is a BT line available.

http://www.homechoice.co.uk/faq/broadband.html#17
Their 1Mbit / 30 GB monthly limit package is the same £17.99 a month as NTL's anaemic offering, and includes some TV channels and "watch again" features ... like VOD, whenever it actually turns up on NTL - looks promising, considering I'd be happy with 512k and a decent quota.

mosaddique
01-10-2005, 22:38
Pete,

I have just opted out from the 1MB upgrade.

It is a shame that NTL focuses on the high bandwidth users/abusers and yet does nothing to reward those users who use their service sensibly and not break their caps. These sensible users are therefore indirectly subsidising the abusers of the NTL service.

I am continually checking other ISPs and will not hesitate to switch if NTL does not measure up.

My current view is that even at 300 kB the NTL service is technically very good which is why I am not switching yet.

However, as a few people have already pointed out, other ISPs are now upping the stakes. If NTL do not do anything about the 1MB with ridiculously low 3GB CAP, they may find that these sensible users may/will end up switching.

I also have a question regarding this "Brief period" of 1 GB with 30 GB CAP before bieng returned to 300 KB with 30 GB CAP for those opting out of the 1MB 3 GB upgrade.

Does anyone have any idea how long this "Brief Period" will be?

~Dan~
03-10-2005, 15:29
Is Billing ID the same as my account number?

Schwong
03-10-2005, 22:57
Anybody know approximatly how much you download/upload during 1 hours worth of gaming? (any game, quake, ut, wow, cs, anything)

Dark Fiber
04-10-2005, 20:26
Is Billing ID the same as my account number?

That's what I want to know - since I have never had an account specific e-mail or snail mail from NTL, I don't expect to receive the promised notification and code number before the closing date for opting out!

~Dan~
05-10-2005, 00:14
...I have never had an account specific e-mail or snail mail from NTL, I don't expect to receive the promised notification and code number before the closing date for opting out!
I never received any email or letter about it either. Is this the sneaky way NTL are gonna forcibly "upgrade"(ha!) us to a pathetic 3gb a month, by not sending us our secret "billing id" (whatever the heck that might be), then upgrading us when we're unable to opt out.

USIM
05-10-2005, 18:44
I never received any email or letter about it either. Is this the sneaky way NTL are gonna forcibly "upgrade"(ha!) us to a pathetic 3gb a month, by not sending us our secret "billing id" (whatever the heck that might be), then upgrading us when we're unable to opt out.

The billing ID is not the same as your customer ID. (I made this mistake). The information email that some people have received from NTL contains the Billing ID that you need to use.

If you haven't received a notification email then you may have the same problem I have, which is that for some reason NTL send all their official communications to one of my secondary email addresses (actually the address used by my wife). I have no idea why they send official stuff to a secondary address but not the primary. Anyway, I recommend that you check any secondary email addresses you might have created.

rogerdraig
05-10-2005, 20:58
hmm i havnt had an email or letter yet cant see that that cut off date will apply when they still havnt had contacted me

:confused:

checked my other mailboxes no messages there either

Schwong
05-10-2005, 22:04
well my connection was upgraded yesterday, dunno if its just them still working on it but i am getting plenty packetloss during gaming and wierd browsing (not slow all the time but can often just stop completly for a couple of minutes)
Am in Nottingham.
Heres me praying that its only a temporary thing and NTL get back to the decent service i recieved as a 300k user.

~Dan~
06-10-2005, 02:02
I've not received any NTL email to my main or a secondary email address. How would I go about obtaining a billing ID?

Dark Fiber
07-10-2005, 10:29
I've just received my upgrade notification and it was by snail mail.
I can confirm that the "billing ID" code number bears no resemblance to anything on my bills :)

~Dan~
08-10-2005, 22:29
I've just received my upgrade notification and it was by snail mail.
I can confirm that the "billing ID" code number bears no resemblance to anything on my bills :)
Was this in with your monthly bill, or a seperate letter?

Dark Fiber
08-10-2005, 22:55
Separate, second-class post.

Scopeuk
25-10-2005, 19:45
damn i missed it oh well looks like ill hjsut have to break cap

istiaque
26-10-2005, 20:04
<removed>

Please stop spamming your thread, it's not required, annoying and breaks the T&C's.

McMav
27-10-2005, 10:31
well my connection was upgraded yesterday, dunno if its just them still working on it but i am getting plenty packetloss during gaming and wierd browsing (not slow all the time but can often just stop completly for a couple of minutes)
Am in Nottingham.
Heres me praying that its only a temporary thing and NTL get back to the decent service i recieved as a 300k user.

If you game alot 2-3 hours a day you really hould be on the middle 2 MB tier as you'll go over the 3 GB cap easily.

neoapple
29-10-2005, 16:03
this is lame why cant they give you good cap or no cap.
i did not want to be upgraded, i go away for 2 weeks and find i have been upgraded and i cant do anything about it

Scopeuk
29-10-2005, 17:14
as far as i care this is jsut a way of screwwign more cash out of us by forcing us up a tier and a way of allowign them to cram ever more 10 quid a month new customers on and stil being ableto claim resonable contention

Daniel H
01-11-2005, 13:11
In the last half hour my connection has shot up in speed :D

Done a speed test but getting mixed results from 500 ish to 820 kbps

Has the upgrade happened for those still on 300k, jez I should have upgraded yonks ago big difference.

Terry
01-11-2005, 14:02
I have received no notification from NTL about a speed upgrade and have been working merrily along at about 250. Yesterday a few hours after having installed a wireless router my browsing came to an abrupt end. Could still get e-mail and ftp to a server in my workplace but could not browse. I switched off and rebooted my modem, switched on again and I now have around 820. Trouble is I have not been following this forum recently so was not aware of an opt out choice and wasn't even aware I had been upgraded. Now I cant opt out and have just installed a wireless setup for my daughters laptop which is pointless if I am now capped. So what happens if I go over the quota

PWS
01-11-2005, 14:16
Hi Terry,

ntl Ireland is now a different co,pany as ntl sold it during the start of this year.
So the UK team for upgrading did not contact you as part of the UK upgrade as you were no longer a UK customer.

Sorry Mate

Terry
01-11-2005, 15:03
PWS from a political point of view I wish you were correct but NTL Ireland was based in the 26 counties of the Republic and is now sold off. However in the six counties of N.Ireland we are still part of the UK and therefore still part of the NTL company. Must be as we recently got the new channels which would not be available to ex customers in the Republic so I am afraid that doesnt explain why NTL did not inform me of the upgrade. In fact, having read through the posts I am not the only one and the other cases were in GB. So the question still stands, what happens if I go over quota when I havn't been officially informed of a quota or of an upgrade

PWS
01-11-2005, 15:55
Hi Terry,

you can tell I havent gone futher west than Wales eh :)

you are correct so my answer is different :)

You should have recieved a letter telling you of this upgrade and I dont want to comment on the usage allowance.
i guess its how far you go passed the 3gig / month.
i dont know about that sorry

Sorry for the poor geography :)

Scopeuk
01-11-2005, 16:14
think im gonan try 10 gig next month and see what they do if i get nothign then as faras im concerened that will be my cap

Terry
01-11-2005, 16:18
No problem PWS. If truth be told my knowledge of GB geography is quite pathetic. But still I feel somewhat cheated in that I didn't get the opportunity to opt out and there is no way the lady of the house is going to agree to paying more for internet connection to step up a band. May just wait and see what happens when I go over the top. My kids would have it connected 8 hours a day and more at the weekends and even though they are not allowed, they still download music files when I am not around so I reckon I should have no problem exceeding the cap

McDave
03-11-2005, 20:40
Not long ago there was news that NTL were going to upgrade all users with the slow 300K to 1MB.

NTL was soposed to be upgrading all users to 1MB automaticly so when if this going to happen?? And that was going to be cap free.

I don't like the 3GB cap so please don't try and describe how to upgrade to the faster speed.

Chris W
03-11-2005, 20:42
I think you were wrong about the cap free 1meg-

I think what was/ is happening is an automatic upgrade from 300k to 1meg with 3gb cap, unless you completed a form to opt out of this.

McDave
03-11-2005, 20:49
There was a thing about it a while back sayin that they were not gunna have a cap.

mcmanic
03-11-2005, 20:55
what no cap!, thats just not fair ;)

homealone
03-11-2005, 20:56
there have been people posting to say they have been upgraded without being given an 'opt out', er, option - what do you get from a speed test McDave?

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/speedtest.html

;)

Chris W
03-11-2005, 20:56
There was a thing about it a while back sayin that they were not gunna have a cap.

a thing?

do you have a link to this thing?

McDave
03-11-2005, 21:00
For that test I got.

Thu, 03 Nov 2005 20:57:28 GMT
1st 128K took 4005 ms = 32727 Bytes/sec = approx 272 kbits/sec
2nd 128K took 4096 ms = 32000 Bytes/sec = approx 266 kbits/sec
3rd 128K took 5038 ms = 26017 Bytes/sec = approx 216 kbits/sec
4th 128K took 6148 ms = 21319 Bytes/sec = approx 177 kbits/sec
I ain't been upgraded

The only site I visit is this, so the thing would have been here,

homealone
03-11-2005, 21:13
For that test I got.

Thu, 03 Nov 2005 20:57:28 GMT
1st 128K took 4005 ms = 32727 Bytes/sec = approx 272 kbits/sec
2nd 128K took 4096 ms = 32000 Bytes/sec = approx 266 kbits/sec
3rd 128K took 5038 ms = 26017 Bytes/sec = approx 216 kbits/sec
4th 128K took 6148 ms = 21319 Bytes/sec = approx 177 kbits/sec
I ain't been upgraded

The only site I go is this, so the thing would have been here,

yup that is 300k, alright ;

your options, as I understand it, are

to stay on 300kb, which is effectively 'unlimited' on the 30Gig a month, existing allowance

- or 'upgrade' to 1Mb but have the allowance reduced to 3Gig a month.

They haven't advertised this as 'get 10 times less, 3 times faster', yet, not sure why ;)

McDave
03-11-2005, 21:27
Well.

On 300K that gives a speed of 30k a sec on a download (sometimes higher)
So 60 seconds of 30k = 1800K
60 Min of 30k = 108000
24 Hours of 30K = 2592000
356 days of 30K = 922752000
Devide by 12 months = 76896000

Now convert to MB = 75093.75

So if you hammerd the internet connection 24/7 you get

75GB A Month.

Matth
04-11-2005, 20:33
Got 1Mbit, and I thought I had opted out (though it appears you go up then back if you have) - still, if they'll offer me the "gluttons tariff" of 512k unlimited, I won't complain - and if it's anything else, then that will be my cue to bite the bullet and go to ADSL instead - c'mon NTL, just give me that push, and I'll finally have the kick to get away from grotty proxies and unreliable email servers - I could get 1Mbit and 30Gb for the same price on ADSL.

As for the 3Gb - I'm not going to monitor it - might be under, might be 2x over, and I'll play it by ear if I get pulled up. If they have a service that will do, for the same price, fine, otherwise goodbye - £24.99 is NOT an option.

__spc__
04-11-2005, 20:41
I phoned up customer support a few months back and said "Errr, I'm on 300 and I understand that 1MB is the minimum speed? Can you switch me over please, now, and errr, do it gratis?" "Yes." was the reply.

mikey
16-11-2005, 22:41
I have'nt received an e-mail or letter about the upgrade. But at the end of September I went to the 'Opt out' page and put in my details.

A week or so ago my STB was upgraded to 1Mb. What are the chances of the speed returning to 300kb.

I was on the understanding it would return to 300kb automaticaly. But I'm still
waiting!

Has anyone had their STB upgraded, then downgraded back to 300kb?

gazleics
16-11-2005, 23:24
I opted to stay on 300k and was upgraded in October to 1mb. I'm still waiting to be downgraded again to 300k. I have enjoyed the extra speed it has given me but there's no way I'd be happy to stay on this with a 3gb cap.
Any other 300k users been downgraded again yet?

tony
17-11-2005, 11:22
I also opted to stay on 300k and have been on 1mb for about a month, today i got the following email from NTL:

Great news about your ntl Broadband service
You recently told us that the usage allowance of your Broadband service is important to you, so I'm delighted to tell you that we are increasing your service to an unlimited monthly usage allowance*. This means there are no limits to the amount of data you use every month. This is part of our ongoing commitment to provide the best choice & value Broadband service in the UK.

More speed, unlimited usage - same price!
We're also increasing the speed of your ntl Broadband service from 300K to 512K for the same monthly price! You don't have to do anything - we'll automatically upgrade your service by the end of December. Your monthly bill will also be changed to show Unlimited 512K, at the same monthly price of £17.99

~Dan~
17-11-2005, 17:23
I was unable to opt out as I never received a letter with the special code number you needed. Last week I found my speed had increased from 300 to 1Mb. I'd just upgraded from win98 to xp and in downloading and updating everything I needed I must've done 3gig in a coupla days. I'm not gonna monitor my usage. If the worst comes to the worst I'll have to pay for the 30gig a month package but tony's email above offers a ray of hope that we're not all gonna get screwed over.

Scopeuk
19-11-2005, 22:46
that was my intention 300k to 512 but then i dident have the code and ended up on 1 meg (my own stupidity and lazyness dont ask) but hey there not checking usage atm as far as im aware im 4 gig over cap atm well see what happens

Matth
19-11-2005, 23:21
I still don't know if my optout "took" - after discovering (from here, not from NTL) that the account number wasn't the one, called them up and got a number which was supposed to be the billing id, from someone who didn't seem to know anything about it (I had to tell them where the optout page was!).

So if it took, then I'll be hearing from them soon (hopefully), and if it didn't "take", then I'll be looking for a new supplier if they don't allow me onto the 512k if they claim I'm over limit.

khado
20-11-2005, 15:11
i got one question, im currently at 1 meg (due to that unreasonable upgrade, i dont even use my ntl email account, they could of atleast posted the opt-out letter) nvm anyway since i have 4pcs using the internet stimutanously i was thinking about 2meg 30gb service (since i havent got a bt phne line) whats the max transfer i can go above my limit on the 2meg service and 1meg service before i get *the* letter.

thanks

(sorz if it's off topic)

captainwebb
20-11-2005, 16:19
Just to confirm, I got the "unlimited, 512k" email too, sometime in the last few days.

I asked ntl for this some time back; it's absurd that someone who bust their 1Mb cap would be "punished" with a better service than the person who simply opted to stay at 300Kb.

I'm still running at 1Mb/sec, nominally; ntl say they'll "upgrade" me "before the end of December". Here's hoping they meet their targets as well as they usually do :)

rogerdraig
20-11-2005, 17:14
Just to confirm, I got the "unlimited, 512k" email too, sometime in the last few days.

I asked ntl for this some time back; it's absurd that someone who bust their 1Mb cap would be "punished" with a better service than the person who simply opted to stay at 300Kb.

I'm still running at 1Mb/sec, nominally; ntl say they'll "upgrade" me "before the end of December". Here's hoping they meet their targets as well as they usually do :)

did you i must try that