PDA

View Full Version : Sciatica? Pain in the backside!

Nugget
29-09-2005, 15:13
Right, some of you might remember that, a while ago, I was diagnosed with sciatica.

Like a good boy, I took the anti-inflammatories and the painkillers as instructed (even though the painkillers made me feel worse :shrug: ), and it seemed to get better.

However, the pain has now come back as strong as ever (it's only the fact that I'm roughty-toughty that I don't just collapse ;) ). Can anyone recommend any treatment other than just going back to the doctor? I'd rather not keep popping pills if I can get away with it, and Mrs Nug has suggested a chiropracter. Anyone got any ideas?

TIA :tu:

marky
29-09-2005, 15:15
You could get a wheaty or a tens machine :)

homealone
29-09-2005, 15:36
I'd get back to the GP, in the first instance, Nug - as it is recurring he may refer you to a chiropractor, or to the hospital for an MRI scan.

I don't envy you having to drive every day, with it :(

Roy MM
29-09-2005, 15:39
My bro had it, went to a chiro thingy and after a few pulls and tugs he was fine, but he has to go back now and then for further manipulations.

Nugget
29-09-2005, 15:47

Hmmm, good idea - what the hell are they then? :erm:

I'd get back to the GP, in the first instance, Nug - as it is recurring he may refer you to a chiropractor, or to the hospital for an MRI scan.

I think you're probably right. I don't want to because he's mad and foreign (other than that, he's okay :D ).

TBH, I think it's the driving that's causing the problem :mad:

My bro had it, went to a chiro thingy and after a few pulls and tugs he was fine, but he has to go back now and then for further manipulations.

Manipulations, eh? Hope it's not a bloke then :erm: :D

marky
29-09-2005, 15:50
A wheaty warmer i have one they are great http://www.winhealth.co.uk/Wheaty%20Warmers.htmAnd a tens is what they put on women in childbirth, but are :tu: for backs

Ramrod
29-09-2005, 15:52
In my experience the GP is probably the least able to deal with low back pain or sciatica. You should see a chiro or osteo.
Nugg, is the pain all the way down the back of a leg into your foot?

A wheaty warmer i have one they are great http://www.winhealth.co.uk/Wheaty%20Warmers.htmAnd a tens is what they put on women in childbirth, but are :tu: for backsUnless you have inflammation, in which case the last thing you need is more heat applied to the area! :disturbd:

and a TENS just tends to mask the pain......so you can stuff your back up even more without feeling it! :disturbd:

homealone
29-09-2005, 15:54

Hmmm, good idea - what the hell are they then? :erm:

I think you're probably right. I don't want to because he's mad and foreign (other than that, he's okay :D ).

TBH, I think it's the driving that's causing the problem :mad:

I think marky means one of those bags full of wheat kernels that you heat up in the microwave for 'topical application' - it might be worth a try sticking one under your thigh while driving? <EDIT> just seen Ramrod's post - best not then :)

- I'd still get it checked out, though, as sciatica can be symptomatic of a potentially slipped disc :erm:

- one of the potential causes I just read about was driving (constant pressure on accelerator) - the other was sitting on your wallet ;)

Nugget
29-09-2005, 15:54
In my experience the GP is probably the least able to deal with low back pain or sciatica. You should see a chiro or osteo.
Nugg, is the pain all the way down the back of a leg into your foot?

Not yet :disturbd:

At the minute, the 'main' pain is centred just in my lower back - it tends to hurt a little way down the back of my thigh, but no lower than that.

Now, you're not allowed to tell me that my legs going to drop off - that'll put a right crimper on my day :disturbd:

marky
29-09-2005, 15:56
Ramrod are you some sort of expert (flame proof coat now fitted):Sprint:

Nugget
29-09-2005, 15:56
<snippety-snip>

- I'd still get it checked out, though, as sciatica can be symptomatic of a potentially slipped disc :erm:

That's what I'm worried about :erm: (although, do you get time off for that ;) )

- one of the potential causes I just read about was driving (constant pressure on accelerator) - the other was sitting on your wallet ;)

Well, the accelerator one I can go with! As for the wallet - you know there's never enough money in there to make a difference :D

Salu
29-09-2005, 16:20
Back pain is something that Doctors badly treat and indeed diagnose. It's a case of prescribe non-steroidals, Kapake and send them away... As this is your second episode your GP may refer you for an MRI scan but unless there is any worrying neurology the treatment will be conservative which means "wait till it gets better on its own...."

You are at the right age for a herniated disc but there are other causes of this type of pain. Piriformis syndrome or an inflammed facet joint for example.

Your best bet is a referral to the Chiropractor as Ramrod (who is one...) suggested. GPs do not generally refer directly to them. They may refer to physios though...

Of course my official advice is to go to your GP in case I have missed a ruptured renal artery etc.... :)

Let me know if you get a foot drop or a priapism.....:rofl: (look them up ;))

Edit Spelling corrections..

MovedGoalPosts
29-09-2005, 16:24
Let me know if you get a foot drop or a priaprism.....:rofl: (look them up ;))

:Yikes: :naughty: :D

Nugget
29-09-2005, 16:25
Back pain is something that Doctors badly treat and indeed diagnose. It's a case of prescribe non-steroidals, Kapake and send them away... As this is your second episode your GP may refer you for an MRI scan but unless there is any worrying neurology the treatment will be conservative which means "wait till it gets better on its own...."

You are at the right age for a herniated disc but there are other causes of this type of pain. Piriformis syndrome or an inflammed facet joint for example.

Your best bet is a referral to the Chiropractor as Ramrod (who is one...) suggested. GPs do not generally refer directly to them. They may refer to physios though...

Of course my official advice is to go to your GP in case I have missed a ruptured renal artery etc.... :)

Let me know if you get a foot drop or a priaprism.....:rofl: (look them up ;))

:shocked: I already know what priaprism is, and I don't think I'd tell you if I had one. There's certain members of the forum that I might tell, but you're not one of them ;) :naughty:

marky
29-09-2005, 16:29
:shocked: I already know what priaprism is, and I don't think I'd tell you if I had one. There's certain members of the forum that I might tell, but you're not one of them ;) :naughty: I just googled it and ouch that must be hard to cope with.

Ramrod
29-09-2005, 16:39
Not yet :disturbd:

At the minute, the 'main' pain is centred just in my lower back - it tends to hurt a little way down the back of my thigh, but no lower than that.If you don't have (and haven't had) pain/pins & needles into your foot then you probably don't have sciatica--which is irritation of the S1 nerve root, usually due to disk problems in our age group.
You probably have a sacro-iliac sprain (which is a much easier thing to treat)
Is it worse with sitting and better with walking about? (I hate long distance diagnosis) :D

Nugget
29-09-2005, 16:44
If you don't have (and haven't had) pain/pins & needles into your foot then you probably don't have sciatica--which is irritation of the S1 nerve root, usually due to disk problems in our age group.
You probably have a sacro-iliac sprain (which is a much easier thing to treat)
Is it worse with sitting and better with walking about? (I hate long distance diagnosis) :D

Sacro-iliac sprain? Are you sure you're not making this up to look cool :D

It tends to be uncomfortable when I'm sitting down (ie a dull ache more than a sharp pain). As for walking, it hurts when I start (although that could also be the dodgy knee :disturbd: ), but tends to settle down after a little while.

Cor, I'm enjoying picking your brain here :D

EDIT: What do you mean, our age group? You're seven years older than me!

I'd just like to point out that the above sentence is a joke, and in no way intended to prevent your long distance diagnosis ;)

Shaun
29-09-2005, 17:07
I'd just like to point out that the above sentence is a joke, and in no way intended to prevent your long distance diagnosis ;)

I'd just like to point out that the above sentence is a joke, and in no way intended to prevent your long distance payment ;)

:jk:

Ramrod
29-09-2005, 17:07
It tends to be uncomfortable when I'm sitting down (ie a dull ache more than a sharp pain). As for walking, it hurts when I start (although that could also be the dodgy knee :disturbd: ), but tends to settle down after a little while.It sounds like you do have a sacro-iliac injury. This is probably the most common cause of low back pain and can refer pain into the thigh and groin. A problem with that joint can obviously co-exist with a slipped disk (which would produce sciatica-sometimes) but it doesn't sound like you have one of those atm.....

Nugget
29-09-2005, 17:09
It sounds like you do have a sacro-iliac injury. This is probably the most common cause of low back pain and can refer pain into the thigh and groin. A problem with that joint can obviously co-exist with a slipped disk (which would produce sciatica-sometimes) but it doesn't sound like you have one of those atm.....

Thanks for that matey :tu:

Do you think it's worth seeing a chiropractor direct, or would I be better trying to get referred by my GP?

Ramrod
29-09-2005, 17:57
Do you think it's worth seeing a chiropractor direct, or would I be better trying to get referred by my GP?You can see a chiro direct......get one from here (http://www.chiropractic-uk.co.uk/default.aspx?m=1&mi=1)
pm me...... :)

Bulky
29-09-2005, 18:30
Thanks for that matey :tu:

Do you think it's worth seeing a chiropractor direct, or would I be better trying to get referred by my GP?

i've been seeing a chiropractor for about 6 years now, best money i ever spent, i could hardly walk when i went in, i got reffered for physio from the doctor but this was no help at all, go to the chiropractor you will not regret it :)

Nidge
29-09-2005, 18:57
Right, some of you might remember that, a while ago, I was diagnosed with sciatica.

Like a good boy, I took the anti-inflammatories and the painkillers as instructed (even though the painkillers made me feel worse :shrug: ), and it seemed to get better.

However, the pain has now come back as strong as ever (it's only the fact that I'm roughty-toughty that I don't just collapse ;) ). Can anyone recommend any treatment other than just going back to the doctor? I'd rather not keep popping pills if I can get away with it, and Mrs Nug has suggested a chiropracter. Anyone got any ideas?

TIA :tu:

Buy an inversion table, I bought one a few years ago because I was sufffering from back pain, I've had 5 operations on mine but the inversion table did the trick, a chiropractor recomended them to me.

Ramrod
29-09-2005, 19:47
Buy an inversion table, I bought one a few years ago because I was sufffering from back pain, I've had 5 operations on mine but the inversion table did the trick, a chiropractor recomended them to me.I'd love to try one........ :D

j52c
29-09-2005, 20:11
Hmmmmmmmm.

Some of this sounds familiar to me.

I had a similar problem, (still have when I walk a lot), My pain in the leg got so bad, I got out of the car one night and had to drag myself along the floor to get into the house. The next morning I went to the doctors (not my regular doctor) as I still couldn't get around and he said I had trapped a nerve, gave me pain killers and a sick note for a month.
After a couple of weeks, I could get around quite niceley so I went to the doctors and said I was starting back at work.
After 3 days, the pain was worse than ever and I could not walk withou a crutch, so back to see my own doctor. He looked at me as I stumbled into his room and he said 'what have you been doing' I said 'I don't know' to cut it short he said I had a slipped disk and should never have gone back to work so quick.
Now if only the first doctor had said that, anyway, when I could walk a little again, he sent me for an x-ray and bang, slipped disk.

I have tried everything, physio, chiropracter, you name it, but doesn't take long for the pain to come back.

I used to do a lot of driving and was told that vibration from the road can cause sciatica but I didn't have the pain while driving, only when walking. The only way mine will come right is an operation, hope yours doesn't get as bad as mine, it's no joke.

Ramrod
02-10-2005, 16:40
Hmmmmmmmm.

Some of this sounds familiar to me.

I had a similar problem, (still have when I walk a lot), My pain in the leg got so bad, I got out of the car one night and had to drag myself along the floor to get into the house. The next morning I went to the doctors (not my regular doctor) as I still couldn't get around and he said I had trapped a nerve, gave me pain killers and a sick note for a month.
After a couple of weeks, I could get around quite niceley so I went to the doctors and said I was starting back at work.
After 3 days, the pain was worse than ever and I could not walk withou a crutch, so back to see my own doctor. He looked at me as I stumbled into his room and he said 'what have you been doing' I said 'I don't know' to cut it short he said I had a slipped disk and should never have gone back to work so quick.
Now if only the first doctor had said that, anyway, when I could walk a little again, he sent me for an x-ray and bang, slipped disk.

I have tried everything, physio, chiropracter, you name it, but doesn't take long for the pain to come back.

I used to do a lot of driving and was told that vibration from the road can cause sciatica but I didn't have the pain while driving, only when walking. The only way mine will come right is an operation, hope yours doesn't get as bad as mine, it's no joke.x-rays don't show disks, let alone 'slipped disks'-they only really show bone.
If you have a real 'slipped disk' (and it sounds like you do-if the pain goes into your foot) then it's a very difficult problem to treat using conservative treatment (manipulation/traction etc...). I generally get a 50% sucess rate with that type of problem (compared to a 80-90% for musculoskeletal problems)
All I can say is that you shouldn't give up with physio/osteo/chiro just yet-just try different practitioners (someone different may be able to get your problem to shift) because if you go for surgery and if that doesn't help either then you are truly f*cked because then, post surgery, conservative treatment has practically no chance of helping!
btw......you need an MRI scan to see a disk properly.

Chimaera
02-10-2005, 16:59
My Mum's got the same problem, she paid for a private MRI scan and consultation because the pain was so bad and the wait on the NHS was a year! She has 3 bulging discs which are compressing her spinal cord (easily visible on the scan) but because of another problem she cannot take any NSAID's (ibuprofen etc) and has to rely on painkillers which render her unconscious! (Tramadol and Tramacet)
Apparently an operation might do the trick but no one will do it because of her age (75). She's had 2 caudal epidurals (where a local anaesthetic/anti inflammatory/steroid cocktail is injected into the spine) and has been considerably worse since the last one. She has visited the local osteopath when the problem started, they could help a little in the beginning and diagnosed the problem accurately before she had the scan! But they won't touch her now in case they make it worse.
The next thing for her is a wheelchair as she can only walk about 30 feet without being in severe pain - I don't know what else to do for her now. :(
I really sympathise with anyone who has back problems, it's certainly made me look after mine much more now.

Ramrod
02-10-2005, 17:36
She has visited the local osteopath when the problem started, they could help a little in the beginning and diagnosed the problem accurately before she had the scan! But they won't touch her now in case they make it worse.I forget the exact figures (though I should really know them!) but it is apparently impossible to make a disk bulge worse with manipulation because the spinal joints only allow about 12 degrees rotation at any give lelel in the lumbar spine and you need about 45 degrees rotation (approximate figures) to injure a disk. If the manipulation is done in lumbar spine extention then it shouldn't make the bulge worse.
I must say that it's bizzare that your mother, at 75, has actual disc bulges compressing nerves because at her age her disks shouldn't have enough hydration to bulge in the first place-our discal water content in the nucleus pulposus (look it up) decreases with age to the point where it is impossible for a disc to bulge. At her age, any nerve compression should be being caused by osteoarthritic changes......

Chimaera
02-10-2005, 17:40
She has visited the local osteopath when the problem started, they could help a little in the beginning and diagnosed the problem accurately before she had the scan! But they won't touch her now in case they make it worse.I forget the exact figures (though I should really know them!) but it is apparently impossible to make a disk bulge worse with manipulation because the spinal joints only allow about 12 degrees rotation at any give lelel in the lumbar spine and you need about 45 degrees rotation (approximate figures) to injure a disk. If the manipulation is done in lumbar spine extention then it shouldn't make the bulge worse.
I must say that it's bizzare that your mother, at 75, has actual disc bulges compressing nerves because at her age her disks shouldn't have enough hydration to bulge in the first place-our discal water content in the nucleus pulposus (look it up) decreases with age to the point where it is impossible for a disc to bulge. At her age, any nerve compression should be being caused by osteoarthritic changes......
Yep, she's got arthritis in her spine, but when you look at the scan you can see the nerve being compressed - I'm sure it's by the discs? I'll have too look again and see - she has the pics at home! I think now she's just in too much pain to have any manipulation done now. We now have an appointment at the pain clinic for next January, that she's been waiting for since March this year - I think I'd better get her a large bottle of whisky and a wheelchair for Christmas!

me283
02-10-2005, 19:33
I visit an osteo regularly. A few years ago I had a car accident which gave me a side-on whiplash; added to the effects of many years playing rugby, my neck/back was not in a good way.

The GP referred me for physio, and after 3 months of going every week, I was no better; some visits left me feeling even worse. I asked to be referred to an osteo as I had been treated like that before. After 3 visits I was probably 95% fixed.

Nowadays I go along every few months, as my back and neck get stiff. Sill me, I don't do my exercises often enough. Anyway, I would highly recommend it. My osteo says that osteos are better than chiros (but then he would!), and he explained the difference once; I can't remember though TBH.

My advice - go see an osteo.

Wicked_and_Crazy
02-10-2005, 22:50

Not wishing to talk Rammy up :), but i couldnt agree more. My Dr was a waste of time and in fact probably caused me more pain by telling me to apply heat when ice would have been better.

Get to the Chiro and the soon the better, from my experience i doubt you will regret

Ramrod
02-10-2005, 22:59
My osteo says that osteos are better than chiros :rofl: He would!.......Good to see impartial advice :D

Yep, she's got arthritis in her spine, but when you look at the scan you can see the nerve being compressed - I'm sure it's by the discs? The nerve can be compressed by osteoarthritis or a disc bulge but at her age it's much more likely to be OA. Send me the scans and I'll have a look at them.....I'm sure you have figured out where my practice is by now :D

me283
02-10-2005, 22:59
:rofl: He would!.......Good to see impartial advice :D

You missed the next bit:

My osteo says that osteos are better than chiros (but then he would!)

Actually, can you explain the difference? IIRC he said it was a lot to do with the method of manipulation etc

Wicked_and_Crazy
02-10-2005, 23:03
I'm sure you have figured out where my practice is by now :D

hmmm still practicing and playing patience ;)

Ramrod
02-10-2005, 23:24
Actually, can you explain the difference? IIRC he said it was a lot to do with the method of manipulation etcRight, here we go.....chiros use short lever techniques while osteos use long lever techniques......this means that chiros try to manipulate one 'target' joint while osteos tend to manipulate several joints at a time (unless they are very skilful) which runs the risk of manipulating a overly mobile joint (not good) as well as the 'tight' or 'restricted' target joint....also, chiros are trained skeletal radiographers and radiologists while osteos aren't. In other words I am trained and licensed to take and interpret x-rays but osteos aren't.
This (http://www.acupunctureworks.co.uk/Osteo&Chiro.html) is quite a good summary :tu: :) .....but they didn't get the spelling correct :D
(The reason that I became a chiro was because it was a harder course at uni than osteopathy--I examined the course syllabi in detail before I applied)

hmmm still practicing and playing patience ;)OY! Behave! :D

marky
02-10-2005, 23:26
Ive got o/a in my back and a prolapsed disk, looks like i'm for the nackers yard :mis:

Ramrod
02-10-2005, 23:29
Ive got o/a in my back and a prolapsed disk, looks like i'm for the nackers yard :mis:See a good chiro or osteo.....it costs but if you find someone that helps then it's worth it :shrug:

Angua
02-10-2005, 23:31
Had sciatica whist pregnant and have been advised by a reflexologist that I was suffering with sciatica (was not aware of it at the time but did suffer almost a year later) :shrug:, now seems to be ok https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2012/01/10.gif just get an annoying pain just under my left shoulder blade occasionally.

Ramrod
02-10-2005, 23:33
Actually, can you explain the difference? IIRC he said it was a lot to do with the method of manipulation etc'Course, the short answer is......50K a year :D

just get an annoying pain just under my left shoulder blade occasionally.That is probably nothing to do with your low back/leg pain............

marky
02-10-2005, 23:34
'Course, the short answer is......50K a year :D

That is probably nothing to do with your low back/leg pain............ Or free on cf :disturbd:

Angua
02-10-2005, 23:36

That is probably nothing to do with your low back/leg pain............

I know it isn't :) just one of those non specific back pains (I have had it checked by a Doctor) :D

Ramrod
02-10-2005, 23:46
Sciatica is one of the most badly diagnosed conditions....most people who have been diagnosed with sciatica have nothing of the sort!
Unless you have pain radiating through the buttock, into the posterior thigh and then onto the calf and into the foot--you don't have sciatica!!! Rant over :disturbd: :D

Or free on cf :disturbd:'Cos I love you all! :D

I know it isn't :) just one of those non specific back pains (I have had it checked by a Doctor) :DIf it's in the left shoulder blade area then it's probably a rib problem but it might be gallstones! Does the pain come on after a fatty meal?

Angua
03-10-2005, 00:01
Sciatica is one of the most badly diagnosed conditions....most people who have been diagnosed with sciatica have nothing of the sort!
Unless you have pain radiating through the buttock, into the posterior thigh and then onto the calf and into the foot--you don't have sciatica!!! Rant over :disturbd: :D

'Cos I love you all! :D

If it's in the left shoulder blade area then it's probably a rib problem but it might be gallstones! Does the pain come on after a fatty meal?

No, just if I don't sit properly Doctor gave it a good old prod when I went to see her about it.

The sciatica I certainly knew about (should be called a pain in the leg) :erm:

me283
03-10-2005, 08:20
Right, here we go.....chiros use short lever techniques while osteos use long lever techniques......this means that chiros try to manipulate one 'target' joint while osteos tend to manipulate several joints at a time (unless they are very skilful) which runs the risk of manipulating a overly mobile joint (not good) as well as the 'tight' or 'restricted' target joint....also, chiros are trained skeletal radiographers and radiologists while osteos aren't. In other words I am trained and licensed to take and interpret x-rays but osteos aren't.
This (http://www.acupunctureworks.co.uk/Osteo&Chiro.html) is quite a good summary :tu: :) .....but they didn't get the spelling correct :D
(The reason that I became a chiro was because it was a harder course at uni than osteopathy--I examined the course syllabi in detail before I applied)

Thanks for tha, very informative. One thing I have noticed about the particular osteo that I see now is that they do a lot more muscle work than previous ones. I don't know if I just have a good osteo now, or if that methods used have evolved in general, but it certainly seems to work!

I'm suprised moe chiros don't have back pain themselves, just from the weight of their wallets... :p:

Ramrod
03-10-2005, 08:52
I don't know if I just have a good osteo now, or if that methods used have evolved in general, but it certainly seems to work!It's just the way your current osteo works.
I always tell people that I don't care who they see for their pain, just as long as the treatment works for them! :)

No, just if I don't sit properly Doctor gave it a good old prod when I went to see her about it.

Then if it's a rib or plain old thoracic spine problem it should be fairly quick and easy for you to get relief with manipulation...

Nugget
03-10-2005, 09:13

I'll let you rant 'cos it's my thread ;)

The pain I have isn't all the way down to my foot (yet!) - I got confused because my doctor asked if I had pain in my foot but, when I said no, he put sciatica on my record. Oh well :)

Ramrod
03-10-2005, 09:17
I'll let you rant 'cos it's my thread ;)

The pain I have isn't all the way down to my foot (yet!) - I got confused because my doctor asked if I had pain in my foot but, when I said no, he put sciatica on my record. Oh well :)Most doctors diagnose any leg pain as sciatica......and any shoulder pain as frozen shoulder (when it usually isn't) :(

Roy MM
03-10-2005, 09:32
Hmm my Dr diagnosed my pain (hip, thigh) to needing a hip replacement at a later date, then a sudden surge of excrutiating pain in my leg prompted an ambulance being called, after Morphine injections i was told my left leg had to go, (vascular desease) not trying to worry anyone but pains can be a number of things but doctors seem to go for the obvious.

Salu
03-10-2005, 09:37
I wouldn't say "most" though Ramrod....but patients do get a raw deal from us when it comes to lower back pain. There is reason behind it though. I think that a lot feel that back pain is something that they can do little about other than pain relief so they become resigned to being able to help. That is what creates the lazy diagnosis. There are, however (as I'm sure you know) those who feel that musculoskeletal medicine is a worthwhile pursuit and actively recommend to chiros, osteos and sports physicians. I have a ex GP friend who is a Dr and and osteopath and sports musculoskeletalologist and independant from the NHS. They are a rare breed though and often thought of as crackpots...

I'm sure you've come across the profession's scepticism of Chiros too....this doesn't help either....which is sad as I am a "believer". I have had considerable help personally and always advocate it to my patients.

Getting slightly of the track now though....

Ramrod
03-10-2005, 09:54
I'm sure you've come across the profession's scepticism of Chiros too....Yup! We sometimes get the crazy situation where we diagnose something life threatening (massive aortic aneurysm springs to mind) and the doc at hospital refuses to even investigate because the initial diagnosis was made by a chiro! :rolleyes:

Salu
03-10-2005, 10:02
Hmm my Dr diagnosed my pain (hip, thigh) to needing a hip replacement at a later date, then a sudden surge of excrutiating pain in my leg prompted an ambulance being called, after Morphine injections i was told my left leg had to go, (vascular desease) not trying to worry anyone but pains can be a number of things but doctors seem to go for the obvious.

I'm sorry to hear that Roy. Obviously it's your's too but what you've described is a doctors worst nightmare.
A core skill of primary care medicine (GP) is about recognising disease patterns at an early stage. This is extremely difficult and initially a new GP will over refer as it "could be this or could even be that!" as time goes by he relies more on experience and to some degree numbers. That is; out of 1000 patients he could give the advice he gave to you and would be right, nearly right or at least get you referred to the hospital where they have various scanners etc and a more accurate picture will be built up. It's very very difficult. Add to that the fact that the GP may have seen 5 similar patients to you the hour before he has to try to remain impartial and objective for each patient that walks through the door and as most people are habitual its very difficult not to fall into autopilot...I'm not making excuses here but just trying to paint the picture from the other side.

Yup! We sometimes get the crazy situation where we diagnose something life threatening (massive aortic aneurysm springs to mind) and the doc at hospital refuses to even investigate because the initial diagnosis was made by a chiro!

Really? Thoracic or abdominal?

Ramrod
03-10-2005, 10:42
Really? Thoracic or abdominal?Abdominal.
........and there have been occasions where I have had to actually take x-rays into hospital to physically show a consultant radiologist the bony mets before they believe me :disturbd:

me283
03-10-2005, 11:09
Slightly OT, but I hope the name "Ramrod" doesn't relate to any particular tool you might use in your line of work? Especially bearing in mind the title of this thread...

Ramrod
03-10-2005, 11:20
Slightly OT, but I hope the name "Ramrod" doesn't relate to any particular tool you might use in your line of work? Especially bearing in mind the title of this thread...Nah, that name is from a completely different source :)

Salu
03-10-2005, 15:08
Abdominal.
........and there have been occasions where I have had to actually take x-rays into hospital to physically show a consultant radiologist the bony mets before they believe me :disturbd:

Now, that doesn't surprise me....you can't tell a radiologist anything.....lol