PDA

View Full Version : IPSEC VPN and 120 modem

Comp2003
29-09-2005, 13:25
Hi all

I will shortly need to connect to work from home. I have a 120 cable modem and have been advised to check if this supports IPSEC VPN. Could anyone let me know if this is the case or do I need a later model of modem.

If the 120 is all right will it also support a router for a wireless connection to a laptop.

Thanks in advance for all help.

Comp

Ignition
29-09-2005, 13:47
Hi all

I will shortly need to connect to work from home. I have a 120 cable modem and have been advised to check if this supports IPSEC VPN. Could anyone let me know if this is the case or do I need a later model of modem.

If the 120 is all right will it also support a router for a wireless connection to a laptop.

Thanks in advance for all help.

Comp

Yes and yes, the modem is a bridge not a router so shouldn't care what the traffic going over it is so long as it's IP.

icanadvise
29-09-2005, 17:36
Yes and yes, the modem is a bridge not a router so shouldn't care what the traffic going over it is so long as it's IP.
How does NTL do the port blocking?
Is it modem config file based?

rdhw
29-09-2005, 17:59
How does NTL do the port blocking?
Is it modem config file based?Cable modems are designed to be able to do filtering on the basis of TCP/UDP port numbers and also on some aspects of the underlying MAC layer addressing. The cable modems are configured to do this at boot-time by the configuration file they fetch from the ISP.

However, IPSec is not one of the blocked protocols.