PDA

View Full Version : 10meg PROBLEMS

cutie pie
28-09-2005, 18:03
hi all

The area i live in has been completed for the upgrde, but i aint getting the speed, and keep getting passed about and no one wants to help.

When i do a speed test on the pc i barley get 2mb yet i am meant to be on 10mb.

Have called them up night after night and getting no where. Looking for some advice on where to go next ?

As i am nearly at the end with them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

:(

MovedGoalPosts
28-09-2005, 18:30
:welcome: to Cable Forum :D

You must be one of the lucky few then. No doubt TW could experience a few teething problems with thisas they roll it out.

Presumably you have done the basics of powering down your modem and computer, and rebooting to give it a chance to pick up the new settings? Presumably someone at Telewest has told you that you are actually enabled for the speed?

cutie pie
28-09-2005, 18:49
thanks for the welcome

Yeah they have told us that we are upgraded. Ive been experiencing a bad connection since about 4 weeks ago and our bb was only done beginning of the week.

Seems to be an ongoing prob.... as before i was put onto 10meg i was on 4 but it was still only giving me 1 or 2 meg

Graham M
28-09-2005, 18:53
You didnt say if you have power-cycled all of your equipment?

cutie pie
28-09-2005, 19:04
sorry to be thick but what you mean by that ?

if you mean reboot yeah i have on many occasions :-(

Graham M
28-09-2005, 19:10
ok, including the modem?

cutie pie
28-09-2005, 20:30
yeah

i did also have a it running through a router, but i have disconnx that to and still no difference

:(

Ignition
29-09-2005, 09:58
Try this: http://www.broadbandreports.com/tweaks
This too: http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp

Do the speedtest first, then do the broadband reports tweak test and follow the recommendations, then try the speedtest again.

Also... can you ping something like say www.nildram.net and see if the pings are stable? :)

I'm thinking line fault or contention but we'll see :)

Paul
29-09-2005, 11:29
When i do a speed test on the pc i barley get 2mb yet i am meant to be on 10mb.Whose speed test ? Have you tried this one (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/speedtest.html), it's ntl based but should work ok for TW

cutie pie
29-09-2005, 12:28
Will try all tonight when i go home. thanks for replies and help :)

space
20-10-2005, 04:18
I was about to come here and start my very own thread on this same problem.

I was on the 4 Meg service and about 8 weeks ago the service suddenly feel to pieces and on a good day I was getting perhaps half of what I should have been, about 2meg.

Well they send engineers out to change modems, bits of cable and line test and could... wait for it... nothing wrong.

They agreed I wasn't getting the speed I should, but all the equipment was fine and they were puzzled.

The issue was never fixed.

Now this week they put me up to the 10 Meg service. Yippee I thought, maybe a magic solution would be found.

Uh, no.

During the day I now get less, maybe a 1meg service if I'm lucky. At night I get no more than 5 meg.

Just like the 4 meg service I can only actually get a maximum of half what they promised.

Before 8 weeks ago I had a faultless service literally for years.

Now that has disappeared and Telewest are ABSOLUTELY clueless on how to fix it.

:td:

Mick
20-10-2005, 09:01
Hi Space,

If you want to pass me to some details via private message Click on my name on this post and a drop down menu should appear - select the option to send me a private message and I will forward this on to our Telewest contact to look at if you wish. Thanks. :)

v0id
20-10-2005, 13:37
those not getting the full 10 meg (or close enough) speed, don't happen to have a Surfboard 3100 modem, if so you'll have to put in for a modem swap

cutie pie
20-10-2005, 14:25
I'm still experiencing this problem seems to be getting worse and worse.

I have a webstar cable modem :-( have heard a few people saying there are not too good but dont know if there is any truth in it

space
20-10-2005, 20:31
I have a webstar modem now, but I was getting the same problem with my old Surfboard 3100 if that's any consolation.

I'm still experiencing this problem seems to be getting worse and worse.

I have a webstar cable modem :-( have heard a few people saying there are not too good but dont know if there is any truth in it

Hi Mick, thanks for the offer, I'll PM you later tonight. Very kind of you. :):tu:

Hi Space,

If you want to pass me to some details via private message Click on my name on this post and a drop down menu should appear - select the option to send me a private message and I will forward this on to our Telewest contact to look at if you wish. Thanks. :)

Brucie
22-10-2005, 14:34
Hi, first post :)
I too have the 4meg line, which got upgraded a few days ago (falkirk area), but have never been able to download over 235kb/s.

I just did the speedtest from the link above, and it had some interesting results:

Downstream 1686 Kbps (210.8 KB/sec)
Upstream 360 Kbps (45.0 KB/sec)

Now the 4meg line isn't suppose to have the upstream changed (13kb/s) :o
Very strange, but hopefully it's just teething problems from the transition, although I wouldn't complain if the upstream stayed like that :)

Andrewcrawford23
22-10-2005, 19:44
Hi, first post :)
I too have the 4meg line, which got upgraded a few days ago (falkirk area), but have never been able to download over 235kb/s.

I just did the speedtest from the link above, and it had some interesting results:

Downstream 1686 Kbps (210.8 KB/sec)
Upstream 360 Kbps (45.0 KB/sec)

Now the 4meg line isn't suppose to have the upstream changed (13kb/s) :o
Very strange, but hopefully it's just teething problems from the transition, although I wouldn't complain if the upstream stayed like that :)

Well beening in the falkirk area to and beening upgraded to 10mb i to get between 200-400k from most places but i can get upto 2mb/sec from newsgroups and blueyonder servers it really depends n the place your downlaoding from if they have the uplaod bandwidth to match

I also get anyway up to 60-70kb/sec upload speed but normally 35kb/sec

though weirdly i was upgraded weeks ago right on the dya the blueyonderpage said the upgrad ein castlecary had been complete

EDIT: aslo i have never got full speed accordign ot them test ever

arthurdollar
17-11-2005, 16:44
Hey All,
My first post on the forum, I've recently been upgraded to the BY 10Mb service from the 4Mb service. But I also had noticed some dips in the service a few weeks before the upgrade. Whilst using the 4Mb service I had consistent speeds on Usenet downloads of around 450 to 500KB and off places such as MS I would get just over 500KB most the time, which as you can imagine I was very pleased with. A few weeks before my upgrade I noticed that I would be lucky if my speeds exceeded 250KB, I put this down to the ongoing upgrade work and thought perhaps things will improve after the upgrade. How wrong a person can be, since upgrading most evening I'm lucky if I get over 250KB on Usenet, it generally stays around 130KB and occasionally peeks as much as 300KB. So having gone through several processes of elimination, I've reached the point of confusion.
My set up consists of the Motorola SB5100 and a linksys Router, so I have removed the router and connected directly through the modem, and immediatly noticed an increase of around 100KB,the strange thing is, I have no problem getting full speed from say MS and get around 1/ 1.2Mb a second, but even connected directly to the modem, my usenet speeds rarely peek beyond 400KB. Naturally I have called BY and they have said there's nothing wrong with my line etc, and were unable to offer me any kind of a solution, what I did notice, was after connecting to the modem GUI and checking the log files, the log files suggest that BY are trying to push out a SW update to my modem when it looks for a DHCP, but it gets an error stating the config file is incorrect or a wrong version, I told the helpdesk at BY about this but they dismissed it. sO currently I enjoy full speed most of the time from websites like Microsoft, but the second I try using Usenet (Newsgroups) the speeds drop considerably, I've attempted to change my usenet ports to say 80,23,25 and still the speeds remain well below what they should be. I'm at a loss now, so if anyone can help or make some constructive suggestions, they will be very much appreciated.

N3m3sis
17-11-2005, 23:09
Hi arthurdollar
Try this. Go back to the modem control panel and pick configuration on the right hand side of the panel.
Make a note of what your upstream channel is and then change it. (ie:- if it is 3 then change it to 1.)Save the changes then reboot the modem(button at the bottom of the panel, then go to where your downloads are worst affected by the speed drops(usenet?) and download from there and after about 3.5 mins check what your download speed is.
Back to the modem control panel and change the upstream channel again to the next number (2?) and go through the whole process again.
Repeat until the modem control panel shows that you have gone back to an upstream channel you have already tested then stop. Check the values you have got for each upstream and change the upstream channel in the modem control panel to the one that has given you the best downstream value. Save the changes and reboot the modem then leave it there and test over 48 hours to see if your downloads have improved.

arthurdollar
18-11-2005, 00:05
Hey N3m3sis, thanks for the reply. I did have a go at that early on in the week,I had read it in one of the other threads, but didn't do a very exstensive test.Current channel is 6, I started off at 1 and couldnt seem to even connect on all channels up to 5 so I will have another go at that over the weekend. I will reply back with my results. Thanks again for the suggestion.