PDA

View Full Version : iEPG on langley

handyman
21-10-2003, 00:48
Hi,

Just thought you all might like to know that iEPG (on cr3) langley goes into staff trial very shortly, this puts its launch iminent.

Soo by my calculations based on other trials should be a 2-3 week trial then they will look at the results if all is sweet I can see cr3 with full iEPG launced before christmas.

That gives us SSX now launched, and cr3 iEPG. Should help lessen the why have I not got interactive threads :)

Also I can confirm that the new remotes are available now priced at £25 (this charge will not be applied if a faulty remote is sent back in the bag supplied)

Also the charge for call outs from the North East business unit which had dropped to £15 from £50 is getting raised to £25 as well.

These call out charges include vcr tuning etc and do not apply if its a ntl caused fault ie. faulty stb.

Thank you I'm off to bed :)
HM

harmonyinfo
21-10-2003, 09:52
Also I can confirm that the new remotes are available now priced at £25 (this charge will not be applied if a faulty remote is sent back in the bag supplied)
HM

Thanks for the info.

What is special about the new remote?

handyman
21-10-2003, 11:26
The new remote looks better, feels better to use and for some reason seems to make the stb 10 times as responsive.

bob_builder
21-10-2003, 13:14
The new remote looks better, feels better to use and for some reason seems to make the stb 10 times as responsive.
Is this comparing against a standard Bromley or Langley remote (or both)?

handyman
21-10-2003, 17:17
Is this comparing against a standard Bromley or Langley remote (or both)?

Did have a look at the bromley one, but not long enough to come to any conclusions about it.

The langley one I 'borrowed' for the night and gave a proper test is much better.

bob_builder
21-10-2003, 17:23
Did have a look at the bromley one, but not long enough to come to any conclusions about it.

The langley one I 'borrowed' for the night and gave a proper test is much better.
So you are saying that the new NTL remote that looks very similar to the old Langley remote is much better than the old Langley remote - yes?

BBKing
21-10-2003, 18:27
CR3 before Christmas? Don't bet the farm on it, remember everything slips and past trials are no guarantee of future performance. Manchester BB was six weeks for instance. Don't want to see handy (or ntl) getting hammered for raising false hopes in future, ntl are operating on the Grolsch principle* these days.

*"we'll only let you have it when it's ready"**

** note, the Grolsch principle is not "we'll be very drunk when designing it"

handyman
21-10-2003, 21:39
CR3 before Christmas? Don't bet the farm on it, remember everything slips and past trials are no guarantee of future performance. Manchester BB was six weeks for instance. Don't want to see handy (or ntl) getting hammered for raising false hopes in future, ntl are operating on the Grolsch principle* these days.

*"we'll only let you have it when it's ready"**

** note, the Grolsch principle is not "we'll be very drunk when designing it"

I'm not to bothered tv is tv to me, so long as theres programs on it i'm not bothered, just thought the forum members would like to know that the iepg trial was starting. Also offering my opinion of when I thought it would be launched (please note that I no longer work for ntl so I dont have access to the change request spreadsheet :rolleyes: )

hammered, I will be later as I have no work tommorow ;) :drunk:

So you are saying that the new NTL remote that looks very similar to the old Langley remote is much better than the old Langley remote - yes?

yes thats what i'm saying. As have others that have tried it.

the jackel
21-10-2003, 21:43
Just thought you all might like to know that iEPG (on cr3) langley goes into staff trial very shortly, this puts its launch iminent.

its been on staff trial for a month now :)

However I hate to disagree about the launch been iminent, its got a long way to go yet, as BBKing says projects slip.

Regarding call out fees yes these are true as this is in line with ALL Business Units now, no differential treatment whichever BU you are in.

New Bromley Remote have exactly the same buttons as the Langley one.

handyman
21-10-2003, 22:18
Lo Jackel :wavey:
I know that cr3 has been trialling for a month. I was informed that there was a specific iEPG trial starting soon for staff.

I may be wrong as I no longer work there say hi to the guys will you, job was not great but you lot where the best :) Mels bottom sorely missed ;) :naughty:

the jackel
21-10-2003, 22:23
Lo Jackel :wavey:
I know that cr3 has been trialling for a month. I was informed that there was a specific iEPG trial starting soon for staff.

I may be wrong as I no longer work there say hi to the guys will you, job was not great but you lot where the best :) Mels bottom sorely missed ;) :naughty:

the iEPG is intergrated into CR3

SMHarman
22-10-2003, 10:33
Sorry asked before - Langley = Original Areas = CableTel?

bob_builder
22-10-2003, 11:18
Sorry asked before - Langley = Original Areas = CableTel?
Langley = BBC ONE on 101
Bromley = BBC ONE on 1

bigitup_j
22-10-2003, 11:30
i am still confused...
what is the different between an iEPG and a standard EPG (like cr2)? (apart from the colour)
it seems to do the same thing...

SMHarman
22-10-2003, 11:33
Langley = BBC ONE on 101
Bromley = BBC ONE on 1

Thanks

handyman
22-10-2003, 13:29
i am still confused...
what is the different between an iEPG and a standard EPG (like cr2)? (apart from the colour)
it seems to do the same thing...

I'm assuming the 'i' means there will actually be some red button type interactivity.

Tristan
22-10-2003, 21:51
I'm assuming the 'i' means there will actually be some red button type interactivity.

As I understand it, it's like this: the iEPG is 'interactive' because it's displayed by the Liberate browser, which is running all the time. The Now and Next bar etc is all Javascript.

This allows them to develop the same iEPG for both regions, separately from the work of actually getting CR3/Liberate 1.2 to actually run well on the boxes.

Well, that's how I understand it, anywya. I'm willing to be corrected...

bigitup_j
23-10-2003, 18:24
yeah, i remember now. that sounds right.

Tod
04-11-2003, 09:37
Good to hear that something is happening. I would imagine there is a window of hope for CR3 this month then, but I would imagine it would be too risky to roll out in december just before christmas viewing.

SMHarman
04-11-2003, 09:57
Good to hear that something is happening. I would imagine there is a window of hope for CR3 this month then, but I would imagine it would be too risky to roll out in december just before christmas viewing.

When's that stopped them?

as you sig says Technology Maimed - just in time for Christmas!

bigitup_j
04-11-2003, 17:58
i think you'll have to wait until january/ february 2004. there are still a few minor bugs, ntl are trying to sort out all the problems which are there, instead of sending loads of smaller upgrades to fix them. ntl want cr3 to be the best thing to ever happen (didn't over in ex-cwc land though!)