PDA

View Full Version : NTL Broadband - change from set top box to cable modem

welwynrose
28-09-2005, 13:32
One of my work collegues got ntl phone & tv installed at my recommendation then asked me about the broadband service and I told her it was worth signing up for - she had the install done a few weeks ago and I assumed everything was fine - today she came into my office and asked if I knew if it would be easy to get a longer broadband lead - I was confused - apparently when the engineer came round for the install she asked about having the broadband installed upstairs in her spare bedroom/office and was told that they didn't drill any holes or anything so she had to have the broadband via her set top box - this is proving to be a problem as she has been given a short lead and has to perch on the edge of her sofa to work on here laptop - she's looking at going wireless but I thought it might be easier for her to get it change to a cable modem in her upstairs room - which is the set up I have - is this possible guys and if so does it cost

SMHarman
28-09-2005, 13:37
Sounds like a lazy installer, or was it an engineer, not an installer that came to do the BB work, thus did not have the tools?

marky
28-09-2005, 13:38
my friend had the same problem, but they run a lead from the stb and put an ethernet socket in the other room, so it can be done by the installer :)

welwynrose
28-09-2005, 13:42
What does she have to say to customer services when she gives them a ring

handyman
28-09-2005, 13:44
If shes got a laptop then it might be better off going wireless anyway that way shes free to work or play anywhere in the house. Wireless routers are from £20-30 nowadays and cards from £15 although most laptops have built in wireless.

marky
28-09-2005, 13:54
I think i would go with handyman, that way she can use the laptop anywhere, even sat in the garden :D

MovedGoalPosts
28-09-2005, 15:06
Ntl must have changed the rules again. I get BB via the STB. When I first subscribed, I was sent a self install kit - basically a box with a very long ethernet cable, an ethernet to USB adaptor, a CD and a pamphlet showing where to plug the lead to the STB. I didn't ask for self install (as far as I know) that's just what I got.

I suspect the way ntl regard this is the network up to the STB is ntl's to maintain, connections on the customer side are the customers to deal with, much the same as a phone extension point. I'm sure you could get ntl to run a cable to a distant location, but at a price.

Any decent computer shop will be able to supply a long ethernet cable which the householder could run to wherever they wanted. But if there is driling involved, that may not be practical.

Ntl are unlikely to want to provide a separate cable modem, if the STB is capable of doing the job. That just incurs cost for ntl in supply lots more kit.

For long term versatility I too would consider wireless, as suggested, so lappy can be used upstairs or in front of TV. Probablly work out as cheap as getting a long cable routed.

quadplay
28-09-2005, 15:40
As others have said, the long-term solution is to go wireless. However, the installer should have run an Ethernet cable to wherever the customer asked. If she rings Customer Service, they can raise a dispute against the installation and get another install technician out to complete the job!

welwynrose
28-09-2005, 16:03
I might be able to get a ethernet cable from one of our IT guys here for her to save her having to phone customer service