PDA

View Full Version : my ebay probs

hoggyspuds
20-10-2003, 23:02
Any one having probs with ebay tonight? I can't get into my ebay...."the page cannot be displayed......etc"[FONT=Comic Sans MS]

Marge
20-10-2003, 23:05
Ok here :erm:

hoggyspuds
20-10-2003, 23:12
maybe it's a location thing?

Steve H
20-10-2003, 23:12
Im ok now.. No bids on my item yet tho :(

hoggyspuds
20-10-2003, 23:15
What you selling?...lol.....

Steve H
20-10-2003, 23:54
A Motorbike Helmet :p Got 5 Bids in the last hour :eek:

Try changing your proxy?

hoggyspuds
21-10-2003, 13:55
Forgive me Steve, but what do you mean "changing proxy?"

Chris
21-10-2003, 14:07
Forgive me Steve, but what do you mean "changing proxy?"Proxy server ... a machine on the NTL network that stores copies of web pages in order to serve them up to you more quickly than having to go and get an original copy of the page each time you try to access it.

That's the theory anyway. In practice ntl's proxy servers frequently seem to go belly up, and if they do, it may be worth your while manually choosing a different one by making changes to your internet connection settings. To try this, have a look at the first post in this thread:

http://forum.nthellworld.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2454

For details on all the different ways you can manually reconfigure your intenet connection to bypass ntl's frequent outages, have a look at Robin walker's ntlworld homepage:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/index.html

Dingbat
21-10-2003, 14:29
A Motorbike Helmet :p Got 5 Bids in the last hour :eek:

Apology in advance for the thread drift :D but give us a link cos I'm looking for a new lid.

:)

Steve H
21-10-2003, 17:06
Check Your PM's Dingbat :)

hoggyspuds
22-10-2003, 00:59
towny..........tried your first suggestion....it works.......Am I leaving myself open to anything?.........when do I change back?.....or do I?.....need help on this one

Chris
22-10-2003, 09:36
towny..........tried your first suggestion....it works.......Am I leaving myself open to anything?.........when do I change back?.....or do I?.....need help on this one
Changing proxy can in theory allow hacker-types to intercept information you send out from your machine, if the proxy you set turns out to be a machine set up by said hacker in his bedroom. If you google for proxies some of the alternatives you will find are like this. However if you used another ntl proxy, like the one in Dupre's post, you will be fine, so don't worry.

I tend to leave my proxy 'switched on' permanently until I get another spell of slow browsing, then I try switching it 'off', then I try a different proxy until I get a good response again.