PDA

View Full Version : NTL Problems

mmm
27-09-2005, 20:57
No NTL broadband at home, cable modem light continuously flashing.

Phone neighbour who also has ntl cable modem to check if its an area fault. Get long story about how ntl had cut them off and after hours on hold on support lines managed to get internet back but all mail/web accounts deleted.

Fearing the worse I called ntl customer disservice to report the fault. 30 mins on hold got through to someone who promptly cut me off THANKS a BUNCH may help your call stats dear but you definitely deserve the title of [ADMIN EDIT - Simon M - Offensive comment removed].

Another 30 mins on hold got through to a pleasant indian lady who tells me there is no technical fault - I need to talk to customer service accounts - and there is nothing she can do.

I have paid, in advance, for the broadband and telephone by direct debit, from the same bank account for 4 years. To the technical people who have decided to delete my account without any warning YOU [ADMIN EDIT - Simon M - Offensive comment removed].

Are the old nthellworld.com hell stories still available anywhere. I have no doubt this is all related to the problems I had getting connected in the first place - the cable modem was sent to a similar address 10 miles away and the postcode checker didn't recognize the correct postal address...

Marge
27-09-2005, 21:03
Should I consider helping you after you've slagged us off??

Not if my job depended on it and the alternative was cleaning ****ty toilets at McD's

quadplay
27-09-2005, 21:05
Firstly, although I can understand your frustration - and your need to vent some vitriol, it's really not the best plan to label those people who do work for ntl offensively.

I do agree, however, that cutting you off just after you got through is inexcusable. Be assured that calls that are cut off within the first ten seconds are logged, and too many of them gets suspicions raised.

Finally, if you'd like to PM me your account number, I'll have a look into this for you this evening - one of the team can vouch for my status as an ntl associate.

Nemesis
27-09-2005, 21:06
Thread title altered, please refrain from referring to people in that fashion. I can understand your frustration, however, it is unlikely that any of the people you spoke to are actually the people causing the problem.

Florence
27-09-2005, 21:19
mmm you have been a member of the forums long enought o know that there are some on these forum that could help you. But I for one wouldn't blame any of them foir not helping after your post. I know its frustrating it always is when the net is down but these people are only employed to help not be abused.

When you feel so stressed and angry I always recomend talking a walk and chilling before posting then you are calm to expalin properly whats happened and what you have tried to resolve this. Yes I know all the stuff you have to do to prove the internet is down is annoying but it has to be done.

Ignition
27-09-2005, 21:36
That is an outstanding rant on so many levels, I read the pre-edit version and thought your use of English was superb.

While I appreciate the concern of ex-colleagues I hope they aren't going to take it personally. If I were still working for them I'd help you on principle you earned it through such a superlative rant.

jtwn
27-09-2005, 23:03
Its like a comedy sketch...you MOTHERF[Edited] :D

mmm
27-09-2005, 23:07
Apologies for the rant - but aren't I entitled to be peed off since I've been disconnected from ntl broadband without any warning and half my email accounts/ web space just seem to have been wiped...

Stuart
27-09-2005, 23:11
Yes, but bearing in mind that there are NTL staff on here who may be in a position to help, being abusive is not a good idea.

quadplay
27-09-2005, 23:11
Don't panic! Your email accounts and webspace should still be there...

Chrysalis
27-09-2005, 23:20
how much was edited out?

mmm
27-09-2005, 23:41
Don't panic! Your email accounts and webspace should still be there...

My Hero - the Cable modem lights just stopped flickering and all is right with the world even my 14 year old first ever webpage... bout time it was updated!

I guess all I've lost is email that was attempted to be delivered today, before I moved my redirects to Gmail?

I guess it is too late for my neighbours to get theirs fixed in this way - from what they told me they had to get a new account created - were told 10 days at one point - but have lost all email addresses

ps

Only 2 words remove in admin edit & title, both were in common use in the early days of nthw.com - I thought that nightmare was coming back, and no I can't find my old entry here but it was 4 years ago!

http://web.archive.org/web/20030212195902/www.nthellworld.com/hell/

quadplay
27-09-2005, 23:48
My Hero - the Cable modem lights just stopped flickering and all is right with the world even my 14 year old first ever webpage... bout time it was updated!
No problem - but you've got two webspaces, one of which is on an old dialup account. If you don't use it regularly, the account might get removed, along with any email addresses and the webspace associated with it.

I guess all I've lost is email that was attempted to be delivered today, before I moved my redirects to Gmail?
Nope, the email accounts/webspace were never removed - only the modem was suspended - so you shouldn't lose anything.

I guess it is too late for my neighbours to get theirs fixed in this way - from what they told me they had to get a new account created - were told 10 days at one point - but have lost all email addresses
Probably - the process has probably already started...

mmm
28-09-2005, 00:03
Nope, the email accounts/webspace were never removed - only the modem was suspended - so you shouldn't lose anything.

While suspended an affected email address was rejected by a test message I sent to myself

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

xxx@mtlworld.com
SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:<xxx@mtlworld.com>:
host rcom-outblaze-com.mr.outblaze.com [205.158.62.41]:
550 xxx@mtlworld.com>: User unknown

------ This is a copy of the message, including all the headers. ------

username removed - but looking at domain name I guess I can't blame ntl for this...

andygrif
28-09-2005, 00:06

Not if my job depended on it and the alternative was cleaning ****ty toilets at McD's

You know the old saying "two wrongs don't make a right"?

I'm am not advodating anyone having a go at anyone else, but it is no more right for an ntl employee to have a go at a customer.

homealone
28-09-2005, 00:37

You know the old saying "two wrongs don't make a right"?

I'm am not advodating anyone having a go at anyone else, but it is no more right for an ntl employee to have a go at a customer.

in work, maybe, but when they do it in their own time ...

andygrif
28-09-2005, 10:11

I don't want to labour this point, but whether in work or out of it, it still does not make it OK.

Also, the poster clearly identified themselves as an employee of ntl in the post. I'm sure it was not meant with the malice that came across, but it does highlight the need to really think about the possible implications of posting that kind of thing.

BarFly
28-09-2005, 11:13
so its ok to call NTL staff what you like, but should one of them defend themselves & colleagues<sp> or tell the OP there out of order, it is them who is in the wrong, i like your reasoning......

lets be honest about things, people can have free speach, people are rightly frustrated with some NTL: experiences, people can generally just moan about NTL: but i was always taught theres ways & means of doing things, if you call everyone cretins & so on, dont expect people to come rushing to help you.

MovedGoalPosts
28-09-2005, 11:33
Lets not turn this into a can we or can we not insult people thread thanks.

The topic of this thread was the plea for assistance to sort out a Broadband issue. It seems that the assistance has been given :tu:

andygrif
28-09-2005, 11:46
so its ok to call NTL staff what you like, but should one of them defend themselves & colleagues<sp> or tell the OP there out of order, it is them who is in the wrong, i like your reasoning......

As I said, I don't want to labour this point, but I do think you have completely misunderstood what I am saying.

In the post you responded directly to I clearly said that it doesn't matter whether they are in work or not and that people need to think of the implications of what they are posting before they post it.

I don't have a problem with someone defending themselves or their colleagues, in a constructive manner. The first reply to the OP was not contructive - it was rude. As the OP also said later on, his post was rude too, to which I refer you to my original post on this thread saying that two wrongs do not make a right.

If the respondant had replied pointing out that they took offense at the OP's comments, rather than adding to his already poor impression of ntl employees at the hands of the CS staff he'd dealt with that day, then his perception of ntl could be improved and gone away a happy customer.

Sometimes we need to bite our tongues in favour of the greater good. My point was that this was one of those times, and if you think that I am suggesting that ntl employees should not be able to defend themselves and/or colleagues - you are very mistaken. I hoped that I went to enough trouble in my first two posts to hit that message home - but obviously not.

lets be honest about things, people can have free speach, people are rightly frustrated with some NTL: experiences, people can generally just moan about NTL: but i was always taught theres ways & means of doing things, if you call everyone cretins & so on, dont expect people to come rushing to help you.

That's fine. I would expect them not to come rushing to help either - but I do not expect someone to come along, announce they work for ntl and have a real go at the poster of the offensive comment. Sometimes no reply is more powerful a message.

Also, looking at the bigger picture, for someone to come out with such a comment must have meant that he had been extremely frustrated. What better opportunity for ntl to gain some credibility back than by overlooking the offensive comment and just sorting it (which someone later did do, much to my personal admiration I might add).

That's all I have to say, I can't make my point any better than that - and I've gone too far off topic already - I just wanted to try and explain where I was coming from and defend myself from your rather unwarranted flaming.

:)

homealone
28-09-2005, 12:03

I don't want to labour this point, but whether in work or out of it, it still does not make it OK.

Also, the poster clearly identified themselves as an employee of ntl in the post. I'm sure it was not meant with the malice that came across, but it does highlight the need to really think about the possible implications of posting that kind of thing.

totally disagree, sorry, the NTL associates who help on here do so voluntarily, as far as I can see this particular associate merely indicated that they would not extend that goodwill to someone insulting NTL employees to the extent of the post needing moderation. Any 'malice' I could see was directed at the insults, not the person...

nfs6600
28-09-2005, 12:27
totally disagree, sorry, the NTL associates who help on here do so voluntarily, as far as I can see this particular associate merely indicated that they would not extend that goodwill to someone insulting NTL employees to the extent of the post needing moderation. Any 'malice' I could see was directed at the insults, not the person...

:clap: :nworthy:

MovedGoalPosts
28-09-2005, 12:28
This thread is now getting off topic. Lets keep to the original plea for help with a fault, which it looks like is resolved.

Further posts debating merits or otherwise of insulting people customer or staff will be deleted.

istiaque
26-10-2005, 20:05
Edit (Jon M) - Please refrain from spamming.