PDA

View Full Version : dixons voucher

daz300
27-09-2005, 18:07
hi ,
i have just found some dixons gift vouchers from x mass , but they are out of date:Yikes: , you have to use them within four months:td: ,any one know if i can get them to give me cash or a new voucher or if i am just have no hope of geting to spend the £70 :Yikes: ANY HELP WILL BE NICE
thank you
daz300

smicer07
27-09-2005, 18:09
I think you're knackered mate, sorry.

Kliro
27-09-2005, 18:11
Don't really know myself, but if I were you, I'd email them and ask.

customer.services@dixons.co.uk

Unfortunately I'd assume that they wont honour out of date vouchers.

AndrewJ
27-09-2005, 18:20
I agree with the above your buggered likely.

Try and flog em on Ebay...some moron will buy them.

Damien
27-09-2005, 18:26
Dixons have the worst customer service i have seen from a chain store

Kliro
27-09-2005, 18:28
I agree with the above your buggered likely.

/me hopes you mean as a collectors item, making the buyer fully aware they are invalid

daz300
27-09-2005, 18:31
/me hopes you mean as a collectors item, making the buyer fully aware they are invalid

well one is from oxford st there must be a collector who is missing it .

marky
27-09-2005, 18:32
How can they put an end date on gift vouchers that have been purchased?
i would just take them in and then ask to see the manager if they are refused.

nffc
27-09-2005, 18:36
Being?

jrhnewark
27-09-2005, 18:41
Gift vouchers - an idiot's form of limited money. If you can't be bothered to buy someone a present, give them the cash instead! :D

Halcyon
27-09-2005, 20:03

A bad idea in my opinion. Think of the poor buyer.
As a collectors item maybe, but I doubt there are many collectors.
Best bet is to contact Dixons by going in to a shop and speaking to the manager. He may cut you a deal. E-mail support normally takes ages.

Julian
27-09-2005, 20:28
I'm sure if you tried to use them to pay for part of a large order they would find a way to accept them. ;)

daz300
27-09-2005, 20:43
maybe it is a good time to get the lap top i have been trying to put off . and see if they will say they can not take them with £600.00 on the till .

Strzelecki
27-09-2005, 21:18
And why is that relevent?
Sorry but if the gift vouchers have a date on them they need to be used by then that's that. Just becuase they're Dixons vouchers doesn't make it bad, lot of vouchers have an expiry date, most of the Dixons ones don't. Just bad luck you forgot to read the date really. However it's still worth a try, go and ask and you may talk to a kind manager.

fireman328
27-09-2005, 21:49
http://www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog/guides_to/xmasshopping/index2.shtml

Graham
28-09-2005, 00:19
i have just found some dixons gift vouchers from x mass , but they are out of date

Unfortunately expiry dates on gift vouchers are, technically, legitimate, however it does suck big time that they've got the money and, by the letter of the voucher, might not honour it.

Having said that, go into the shop and try to use them, maybe they won't pick up on them having expired. If they do, ask to talk to the manager (and keep asking until you get to speak to him/ her!) and start making comments about "goodwill" and "customer relations" and bad publicity when you contact Watchdog/ Working Lunch/ Which? Magazine etc and you may well find they'll take them just to shut you up :)

nffc
28-09-2005, 00:21
i have just found some dixons gift vouchers from x mass , but they are out of date

Unfortunately expiry dates on gift vouchers are, technically, legitimate, however it does suck big time that they've got the money and, by the letter of the voucher, might not honour it.

Having said that, go into the shop and try to use them, maybe they won't pick up on them having expired. If they do, ask to talk to the manager (and keep asking until you get to speak to him/ her!) and start making comments about "goodwill" and "customer relations" and bad publicity when you contact Watchdog/ Working Lunch/ Which? Magazine etc and you may well find they'll take them just to shut you up :)
Don't be silly. They have an expiry date on them, if it's not spent by that date as per the T+Cs it shouldn't be honoured.

Working Lunch / Which / Watchdog can do naff about it seeing as the vouchers have a nominal value and they're bound by the T+Cs which clearly say "must be used by X".

marky
28-09-2005, 00:27

Having said that, go into the shop and try to use them, maybe they won't pick up on them having expired. If they do, ask to talk to the manager (and keep asking until you get to speak to him/ her!) and start making comments about "goodwill" and "customer relations" and bad publicity when you contact Watchdog/ Working Lunch/ Which? Magazine etc and you may well find they'll take them just to shut you up :) I so agree with that, or post them to me i'll spend them.
If you even look like you are going to make a scene, i dont think they will refuse them ;)

Don't be silly. They have an expiry date on them, if it's not spent by that date as per the T+Cs it shouldn't be honoured.

Working Lunch / Which / Watchdog can do naff about it seeing as the vouchers have a nominal value and they're bound by the T+Cs which clearly say "must be used by X". DOG DUNG they have been purchased, so they can be used, i think the small claims court would see it as theft (grumble)

Graham
28-09-2005, 00:36

If I give you money that has no expiry date. If I give money to a shop in exchange for a discount voucher, that should be honoured or, if it was to expire, it shouldn't be in such a short period of time as just four months!

Working Lunch / Which / Watchdog can do naff about it seeing as the vouchers have a nominal value and they're bound by the T+Cs which clearly say "must be used by X".

Really? I think if a company is going to get bad publicity on national television they will fall over themselves to honour them!

me283
28-09-2005, 08:14
I'm with Graham on this one (don't fall over!). Try to use them, although they will probably need to be scanned, which will reject them. Once they are declined, act completely innocent, then shocked when told that they have an expiry date in the first place. Then ask to see the manager.

I imagine the outcome will be that a queue will build up, with you muttering how ridiculous that a "cash equivalent" has expired; after all, pound notes don't have a "use by" date, do they? The manager may well try to stand his ground, but if you start using words like "ridiculous" and "unreasonable", he may well try to do something for you. It may also be that he merely gives you a discount on the goods you are buying, to the value of the vouchers (assuming that you buy something fairly pricey), but at least you then get the result you wanted.

If that fails, then I think legally you don't have a leg to stand on, I'm sorry to say.

daz300
28-09-2005, 17:33
the result of one email to them is ..................................

Dear Mr daz300

Thank you for your letter regarding the out of date voucher
you have found.

If you take the voucher to your local store and ask them to contact
Data
Integrity, this will allow the voucher to be re-validated.

I hope the above action will bring this matter to a satisfactory conclusion.

Please accept my most sincere apologies for any inconvenience you
have suffered in this matter.

Kindest regards

they are good i have £70.00 i can spend

not that i have spent it in a shop yet .

they will not be on e bay now lol

marky
28-09-2005, 17:34
the result of one email to them is ..................................

Dear Mr daz300

Thank you for your letter regarding the out of date voucher
you have found.

If you take the voucher to your local store and ask them to contact
Data
Integrity, this will allow the voucher to be re-validated.

I hope the above action will bring this matter to a satisfactory conclusion.

Please accept my most sincere apologies for any inconvenience you
have suffered in this matter.

Kindest regards

they are good i have £70.00 i can spend

not that i have spent it in a shop yet .

they will not be on e bay now lol Spot on mate and a :tu: to dixons

etccarmageddon
28-09-2005, 17:47
excellent customer service.

Strzelecki
28-09-2005, 17:48
See they're not always bad, the chaps at Data Integrity are normally pretty good whenever I've called them, so you should have no probs at all.

Wicked_and_Crazy
28-09-2005, 17:50
i assume the expiry date on them was due to the fact that the till would not be able to validate them automatically. Although it was mentioned in an earleir post that the expiry date was short, hmmm well they are dixons vouchers so have probably been sitting around for years waiting to be sold!!

Halcyon
28-09-2005, 18:05
Im glad you got it sorted. Happy spending.

Strzelecki
28-09-2005, 18:17
i assume the expiry date on them was due to the fact that the till would not be able to validate them automatically. Although it was mentioned in an earleir post that the expiry date was short, hmmm well they are dixons vouchers so have probably been sitting around for years waiting to be sold!!
Yes the till would be able to validate them, they have a barcode and/or voucher number on them, you have to scan/enter this plus the value of the voucher, which is then validated by the central server. That's why they've asked that the store calls data integrity when the vouchers are being spent, so they can tell the server to override the expiry date.

SMHarman
28-09-2005, 18:21
From a boring accounting standpoint, many of these vouchers have an expiration on them to match to an accounting policy.

See when you buy a voucher from the firm, they cannot count it as revenue as they have not actually sold anything, so effectivly they put all that voucher money into an account on their balance sheet, when you spend the voucher the money moves from there to sales, up to this point the balance on the company balance sheet is a liability (money they need to pay out - liability = bad).

Now many people lose or don't spend vouchers and so you end up with a massive balance in this account that can never be treated as revenue as it has not been spent, by putting an expiration on the voucher it means that when that time has past the money can be moved to revenue and off the balance sheet stopping a big balance building up in this account (have I lost you all yet?)

So the expiration exists so a big balance of unused and never likely to be used vouchers can be tidied up. Most companies will reinstate an expired voucher as it is good business sense and, well they had the money so ethically should handover some goods for it, you just need to know where to ask.

Airlines have the same problem with their airmiles programmes, Tesco with clubcard points etc.

marky
28-09-2005, 18:23
Yep i got all of that :Sprint:

daz300
28-09-2005, 19:53

when you buy them they print the date on them , you get 4 months from that date they have the 2/12/04 as there date .

Graham
28-09-2005, 19:55
the result of one email to them is

Excellent news! :)

Wicked_and_Crazy
28-09-2005, 20:08
Yes the till would be able to validate them, they have a barcode and/or voucher number on them, you have to scan/enter this plus the value of the voucher, which is then validated by the central server. That's why they've asked that the store calls data integrity when the vouchers are being spent, so they can tell the server to override the expiry date.

or maybe those voucher numbers have been archived

when you buy them they print the date on them , you get 4 months from that date they have the 2/12/04 as there date .

Thats a bit short imho, even a cheque has 6 months