PDA

View Full Version : New broadband install... modem can't get an IP

rmal1
27-09-2005, 13:46
Hi Everyone, and thanks for having a great website and community. I've been reading lots here all morning but can't find a solution to my problem.

In ntl WESTMINSTER area, W2

I had ntl hook me up with broadband, with the Install Engineer visiting last Friday 23rd, as booked. He only stayed 5 minutes, as the previous flat owners had had a set top box (I think) and all cabling was in place. He dropped off a CD, saying that the Engineers do not touch the PC. (Is that correct?)
(He was even kind enough to leave a copy of his days work sheet, with all the private details of the people he was visiting that day! I found it on the floor the next day so just shredded it.)

Started software install and after following instructions, the modem, having "Synced" and "Readyed" itself (solid lights green) (plus green Power and Ethernet lights) was unable to obtain an IP from the ntl: DHCP servers.

Tried everything. Really, everything. Still can't get an IP address. Where do I go from here? Cancel the order?

Any help appreciated,

rmal1

In detail what I have done:

Phoned tech support. We restarted everything and tried again. And then again with USB instead of Ethernet cable. I powered off everything for 1 hour and tested again. I used a different laptop, trying both USB and ethernet.

Every time the modem was not getting an IP address to pass on to Windows XP, and Windows was just eventually assigning itself a 169 local address. I tried ipconfig /release & /renew. I tried clearing the netsh catalog thing. Tried without any antivirus and norton internet security. I tried in Safe mode. I even tried in Fedora (Linux).
No IP address.

Phoned Tech support again. We tried booting without the coaxial cable in the cable modem (a NTL:250). And the modem assigned a 192.168.... IP to the PC, but then would not sync once the coax was plugged back in until, and when it did, Windows couldn't get an proper IP (back to the self-assigned Automatic Private 169. one)

Tech support " I will elevate this problem to Level 2"..."Please try it again in 24 hours, and then call back if not working."
Next day not working still. Called back tech support. Took me through the same 10 tests. Eventually told me "I will elevate this problem to Level 2"..."Please try it again in 48 hours"

48 Hours later, still not working. Got through to the very helpful and friendly K.... in Wales, who couldn't get through to the tech support in the Far East as they were unavailable/closed. She suggested I try myself, and if all else fails call her back the next day (today). Tried myself, got through to the tech support in Asia last night, after waiting 35 minutes to muzac.

The guy turned out to be a complete phone jockey, muting his mic every few seconds (no doubt to chat or whatever) And obiviously didn't want to help. After telling him I had tried turning everything off for 2 minutes and then restarting it all, he helpfully suggested I turn everything off and leave it for 6 minutes i.e. get rid of me, call back in 6 minutes, let somebody else deal with it - If of course it didn't just magically work by then. Not wanting to have to endure a 30 minute wait before speaking to him again I turned it all off and stayed on the line with him, telling him everything I had tried, what was excatly wrong, what I tought it could be (NTL servers) and after 6 minutes of this turned it all on and told him it still was not working.
He told me to try again after midnight (i.e. I don't want to help, try someone who cares), as that would be over 48 hours from when I last called (3 days before). Explained I was fed up of waiting and wanted an engineer to visit or someone from ntl to call ME. He hung up.

Back on to K.... in Wales this morning. She got me through to a tech support person in Asia who asked one or 2 questions and then agreed to request an engineer visit. Could not give an estimate of when they might be able to come, or even when they could call me back (she took my home phone no and mobile).

I'm now waiting to be called to be told when an engineer can visit.
Will someone actually call me back to arrange an engineer? I doubt it.

If I could actually speak to someone who actually had the power to organise a solution to the problem (Why will my modem not be given an IP from the DHCP server) I could actually have internet access I am already paying for.

atlantis
27-09-2005, 14:10
:welcome: Welcome to the forums. I'm sure one of our experts will be along soon to help you get this sorted.

Mick
27-09-2005, 14:11
Every time the modem was not getting an IP address to pass on to Windows XP, and Windows was just eventually assigning itself a 169 local address.

Hi rmal1, Welcome to the site. :welcome:

Have a look here (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/badip.html#ip169) for an indication as to why you keep getting an IP starting in the range of 169.

Hope this helps. :)

atlantis
27-09-2005, 14:18
On the Home page of cable-forum, in top right hand side, the is a box marked "send NTL feedback, click on this, and it opens a responsetek form for you to fill in, I'm told by people who know that NTL read these things, and hopefully, help you.

maverick
27-09-2005, 14:45
If your getting a 169 ip with coaxial in and a 192.168 with coaxial out this points to a modem fault and will need an engineer visit.

I would advise contacting tech support on 08456500121/0925 to check on the progress of the engineer visit,normally if the connection fails within the first 7 days of an install this is classed as a failed install.
What happens then is a fault is raised back to the installs dept for the same install crew to callback to you to fix the problem,this is normally done about 48 hours after of the engineer request being raised.

rmal1
02-10-2005, 18:14
Cheers for all the suggestions.

Tech Support didn't call back, so I got back on to Customer Services, who phoned up tech support themselves, then apologised that I had not been called, and booked an engineers appointment.

The engineers who came the next day were friendly, and helpful, but have not (yet) managed to work out what was wrong. The replaced the modem (an ntl:250 with an ntl:200 ) and also asked me to wait 24 hours whilst a new account was set up for the new modem & the new modem's mac address got registered on ntl's DHCP servers. Still no internet...

Any more suggestions that I could put to the engineers when they (inevitably) will have to return on Monday/Tuesday?

patrickp
02-10-2005, 19:33

Tech Support didn't call back, so I got back on to Customer Services, who phoned up tech support themselves, then apologised that I had not been called, and booked an engineers appointment.

The engineers who came the next day were friendly, and helpful, but have not (yet) managed to work out what was wrong. The replaced the modem (an ntl:250 with an ntl:200 ) and also asked me to wait 24 hours whilst a new account was set up for the new modem & the new modem's mac address got registered on ntl's DHCP servers. Still no internet...

Any more suggestions that I could put to the engineers when they (inevitably) will have to return on Monday/Tuesday?

Sounds like you haven't registered the modem, rmal1. See the Cable Forum article on How to set up your ntl broadband connection without a CD (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/article.php?a=13). Registering is near the bottom of the page.

And welcome to Cable Forum! :-)

maverick
02-10-2005, 19:37

What ip address are you getting now?

If you are getting an ip other than 169 or 192 try going to REG (80.5.178.26)

Chris W
02-10-2005, 19:57
hmm sounds very much like a borked modem to me (or issues with the local dhcp server, although if this was the case i am pretty sure ntl ts would have known about it.)

When you have an engineer visit, before he leaves logon to http://192.168.100.1/ (username and password both "root" [no quotation marks] and check the modem's configuration file- it should say unreg.cm. If it says noserv.cm then you are still going to have the same problems....