PDA

View Full Version : Freeserve Broadband Say I'm not ADSLable

etccarmageddon
20-10-2003, 21:22
hmmm tried to sign up with you lot last week... then got this very strange email:-

"Thank you for ordering the new Freeserve Broadband Internet service.

We regret that due to technical reasons, we are unable to offer you our new Broadband service at your current address.

If you purchased your Broadband Pack in store please take this email and your modem back to the store.

Once Again, weâ₠¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢re sorry we can not offer you this service right now, but we do hope to be able to serve you in the future."

Any idea what technical reasons this email is referring to?

nb. the broadband checker at BT says I'm ok for 512k and I know I'm 3.9km from the exchange.

handyman
20-10-2003, 21:45
SNIP

just an after thought but have you ever had a ISDN line or do you know if your line is dax'd, also adsl canot run on some of the fibre lines bt are installing in some places.

I find out tommorow anyway just curious.

etccarmageddon
21-10-2003, 00:23
never used isdn on it!

Steve H
21-10-2003, 00:29
nb. the broadband checker at BT says I'm ok for 512k and I know I'm 3.9km from the exchange.

Out of even more curiousty.. Does the BT checker say your Ok upto 512k specifically?

Mine says..

Good news! The checker indicates that Broadband is available in your area and that the preliminary check on your postcode suggests that although your line-length to the telephone exchange is quite long, you may be able to receive Broadband services at speeds up to 2Megabits per second downstream and 256kilobits per second upstream. (The upstream speed will vary depending on the length of the telephone line connecting you to your local exchange).

I was optimistic with that one :dunce:

etccarmageddon
21-10-2003, 08:19
Out of even more curiousty.. Does the BT checker say your Ok upto 512k specifically?

This is what mine says:-

"Good news - Your exchange has broadband ADSL. Although the length of the telephone line between you and the exchange is quite long, you may be able to receive broadband ADSL.

Our initial test on your line suggests that you may be able to have a broadband ADSL service that provides up to 512Kbps download speed, but the upstream bandwidth will vary according to the length of your telephone line. It will not be possible to provide the 1Mbps or 2Mbps broadband ADSL services.

If you decide to place an order, a further test will be performed to confirm if your line is suitable, and if so for what speed of service."

etccarmageddon
21-10-2003, 08:21
Mine says..

Good news! The checker indicates that Broadband is available in your area and that the preliminary check on your postcode suggests that although your line-length to the telephone exchange is quite long, you may be able to receive Broadband services at speeds up to 2Megabits per second downstream and 256kilobits per second upstream. (The upstream speed will vary depending on the length of the telephone line connecting you to your local exchange).

You're within 3.5km of the BT exchange - so you can have the max speeds. Anyone above 3.5km is likely to have rate adaptive ADSL which is limited to 512 and may have upload speeds as low as 64k!

keithwalton
21-10-2003, 08:39
i know this is a silly question but you do have a bt line dont you and not an ntl one ?

K

etccarmageddon
21-10-2003, 08:46
i know this is a silly question but you do have a bt line dont you and not an ntl one ?

K

Do I look stupid!!!

(well I do but... no it's a BT line)

keithwalton
21-10-2003, 08:48
it was just a thought as this is an ntl forum that you might of had services provided by them, if you had your phone number ported to ntl it goes through the online checker as fine but im sure they wont install with it

K

etccarmageddon
21-10-2003, 09:16
good point.

Dingbat
21-10-2003, 09:54
just an after thought but have you ever had a ISDN line or do you know if your line is dax'd, also adsl canot run on some of the fibre lines bt are installing in some places.

I find out tommorow anyway just curious.

Should not be a problem now, but might need 'pushing' with BT Wholesale.

BT will de-DACS for ADSL and, if you're on TPON (i.e. part of the route back to the exchange is fibre and not copper), they may be able to do it anyway using the (few) copper lines which run into the TPON cabinet.

:)

handyman
21-10-2003, 12:00
Yeah its not a problem but you would need to contact bt to get hem to remove the incompatible products off the line.

Anyway I have etc.... details and I off to work soon so I run some tests through and see what comes back. :)

etccarmageddon
22-10-2003, 12:57
any news handyman dude?

Xaccers
22-10-2003, 13:19
A friend of mine wanted to go with Zen but also applied for BT broadband, so had two checks done by BT.
The one for Zen failed, the one for BT Broadband passed.
Same line.
So he told BT to get stuffed.

handyman
22-10-2003, 13:30
any news handyman dude?

check thy pms dude :)

handyman
22-10-2003, 13:32
A friend of mine wanted to go with Zen but also applied for BT broadband, so had two checks done by BT.
The one for Zen failed, the one for BT Broadband passed.
Same line.
So he told BT to get stuffed.

It all depends on the flavour of dsl they where offering, zen may have been standard 512k adsl whereas bt could have been rate adaptive dsl with a linit of 521k.

Heres a question for you then since the subject is adsl.

Why do some of my customers report that when it connects it shows the connection speed at 800kbits sometimes?

etccarmageddon
22-10-2003, 14:58
thanks for the PM handman, too cut a long story short... my line to the exchange is pants!