PDA

View Full Version : phone line voltage output

kev1210
26-09-2005, 19:29
hi all , i am reeling from the days events !!!!! i tried to have sky tv installed today , however , when the sky employed installer saw my ntl wall box , he tested the voltage output , (37v) , and promptly told me , it wont be able to activate your card mate !!!
i called ntl , they have never heard of this , nor have sky !!! anyone ever come across this unlikely tale of woe before ?

marky
26-09-2005, 19:35
All i can say is :welcome: to cf, because i'm totally confused to why sky and ntl have anything to do with each other :confused:

homealone
26-09-2005, 19:39
afaik the t&c's for a sky installation require connection to a BT phoneline for the first year ???

JohnHorb
26-09-2005, 19:41
I thought it was any landline (i.e. can be NTL).

marky
26-09-2005, 20:04
Ive just checked and got this, so it looks like any landline.

Sky Active: Some services require a Sky digital subscription and/or a Sky box connection to phone line (call charges may apply).

Your Sky+ box/free Sky box must be connected to a fixed telephone line for 12 months. You must get any consents required (e.g. landlord's). Installation may be subject to delay. Minimum Sky digital/Sky+ subscription 12 months. You must be 18 years or over. Prices, channels/programmes subject to change. Further terms apply. Information only applies to residential customers in UK, Channel Islands and Isle of Man. Information correct (September 05).

There is a difference in the line voltage of a BT telephone line and Non BT providers. Whereas BT use 50 Volts, Non BT providers only supply 37 Volts on There Nokia transmission kit. Some modems are looking to detect the 50 V line voltage before they will work correctly. There is NO WAY that Non BT providers can alter There line voltage to match BTâ₠¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s as this is inherent in the make-up of the Nokia transmission kit, and cannot be adjusted for individual subscribers. They are able to make adjustments to the Modem settings though, which may counter this problem.

homealone
26-09-2005, 20:15

didn't know that - thanks John :tu:

kev1210
26-09-2005, 20:18
Ive just checked and got this, so it looks like any landline.

There is a difference in the line voltage of a BT telephone line and Non BT providers. Whereas BT use 50 Volts, Non BT providers only supply 37 Volts on There Nokia transmission kit. Some modems are looking to detect the 50 V line voltage before they will work correctly. There is NO WAY that Non BT providers can alter There line voltage to match BTâ₠¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s as this is inherent in the make-up of the Nokia transmission kit, and cannot be adjusted for individual subscribers. They are able to make adjustments to the Modem settings though, which may counter this problem.thanks for your input guys , does all this info mean ntl customers need changes to their sky boxes to allow for this low voltage ?

jrhnewark
26-09-2005, 20:25
thanks for your input guys , does all this info mean ntl customers need changes to their sky boxes to allow for this low voltage ?Well, sort of, yes - but nobody's going to make a Sky box with a '37V' modem. Or, at least, Sky don't seem to be in any hurry to supply one.

kev1210
26-09-2005, 20:29
maybe i am thick or something , but i know loads of folk who have sky on an ntl line , none of them have had all this headache ? why me !!!!!!
i and everyone i have spoken to today , ntl and sky cust supp, claim no knowledge of this occuring before , all seems a bit strange !!

MikeyB
26-09-2005, 20:36
Hi,

I had my Sky installed about 5 years ago with my existing NTL phone line, and absolutely no problems.

Registered fine, interactive that needs to dial-up works fine, and the "phone line connection test" works fine.

As far as I know, the installers didn't change anything to make it work with the NTL line, in fact, I don't even know if I would have told them.

Also, I have since the original install, had to get hold of a new (2nd hand) sky box, and that registered my card fine too, so no probs at all with using a Sky box with an ntl phone line.

SLM
26-09-2005, 21:15
I think the sky installer was blagging you, would it have been a difficult job to get the cabling done (telephone ext to the box and wire from dish to box) sounds (reading into it) that he could not be bothered to do the job.

iain_herts
26-09-2005, 21:18
well i have had sky plus fitted a few months ago on a ntl phone line at it was actived over it ok so i think he was blagging u

kev1210
26-09-2005, 21:19
easy dish cabling, phone link would have been one hole through a wall made of kleenex and spit basically !!! as it was 4,15 pm , and a multiroom system , ie dish and cabling for two boxes , i think you are right ,however , the install is childs play , nothing in the way anywhere.

jrhnewark
26-09-2005, 23:27
easy dish cabling, phone link would have been one hole through a wall made of kleenex and spit basically !!! as it was 4,15 pm , and a multiroom system , ie dish and cabling for two boxes , i think you are right ,however , the install is childs play , nothing in the way anywhere.Possibly that sometimes the Sky STB will dial-out, sometimes not? I'm not an expert on this.. :confused:

Martin
26-09-2005, 23:31
I have Sky on my NTL line and it works fine!

Keytops
27-09-2005, 01:39
...are able to make adjustments to the Modem settings though, which may counter this problem.

Sounds very much like you just turn off the 'detect dial tone' option (assuming its called that in Sky-ology)

kev1210
27-09-2005, 09:46
thanks for your help on this , i am waiting for n t l to call me back today , and sky , with some kind of explanation to my tale of woe , however, i think that as usual i will be waiting all day for nothing , rather like a gnome with a new fishing rod !!!!!!!!

orangebird
27-09-2005, 09:52
thanks for your help on this , i am waiting for n t l to call me back today , and sky , with some kind of explanation to my tale of woe , however, i think that as usual i will be waiting all day for nothing , rather like a gnome with a new fishing rod !!!!!!!!

I'm not quite sure what you think ntl will be able to do for you? ntl aren't going to be in receipt of any revenues from your Sky account, so I'm not quite sure why you think ntl will do anything about this for you? Your failed install is Skys problem, not ntls... :erm:

marky
27-09-2005, 09:56
Kev, if you read the snip that i posted, it does say what OB just stated ;)

kev1210
27-09-2005, 11:07
yes , thanks guys , i have summised from all this , my ntl line is up to it , the sky installer bull****ted me as it was too late on the day for him to be bothered with it , again thanks for all your help everyone .

Nemesis
27-09-2005, 20:46
The voltage is supposed to be 48V ..... if lower can cause problems with some panasonic handfree phones.

I had this problem, got an engineer out to bump the voltage to 48V.

I suggest you do the same.