PDA

View Full Version : Telewest targets 50-100meg by end of 2006

etccarmageddon
24-09-2005, 18:14
www.ispreview.co.uk/cgi-bin/news/viewnews.cgi?id=EEkZVuAVputhUaQfeW

great except - what's the point!?

Rillington
24-09-2005, 18:22
Wow - that would be seriously impressive.

I guess those speeds would make it far eaiser to watch TV programmes via the internet and I guess it would mean that TW could extend its Teleport service to the internet as well as ghrough the TV.

jrhnewark
24-09-2005, 18:26
Wow - that would be seriously impressive.

I guess those speeds would make it far eaiser to watch TV programmes via the internet and I guess it would mean that TW could extend its Teleport service to the internet as well as ghrough the TV.100Mbps seems to be the standard "all anyone could ever want" speed at the moment, so 50Mbps would do nicely. :D

HDTV, fast downloads, the works. It'd do nicely. :)

Robc66
24-09-2005, 18:28
lol 100meg with 384k upload :p:

AtW
24-09-2005, 18:50

Upload is so limited because of DOCSIS 2 spec (which is still better than previous version), but I believe DOCSIS 3 greatly increases upstream capability so these news should be truly welcomed even though I would be totally amazed if they achieve what they say -- but at least knowing some target near date is very good news at all!

andymt
24-09-2005, 19:41
what is dociss?

"cables" can take any speed (coax and fibre) so its not the cable type that is the prob
and if they r gonna have ethernet to the door, that limits them to 100mbps?
i suppose it wouldnt matter cuz ppl would have to change network cards to go over 100mbps

Paul
24-09-2005, 20:33
what is dociss?Data Over Cable Service Interface Specifications (from the news item ......)

AtW
25-09-2005, 18:00
"cables" can take any speed (coax and fibre) so its not the cable type that is the prob

Cable is just one part -- equipment on both sides of the cable should support these speeds, and this is where protocols come into play.

Ignition
26-09-2005, 06:08

No, the higher the frequency used the more loss there is, and remember that light is EM radiation just as RF is albeit at massively higher frequencies. This is more of an issue on copper.

Another issue is signal quality and due to its' nature the coax side of network is vulnerable to noise intrusion causing degredation of the wanted signals.

I'm not going too far into depth that the existing equipment is incapable of supporting ethernet over coax so you'd need to bypass the active parts of the current network :)

andygrif
27-09-2005, 17:46

:LOL: and a 3 gig cap

janipewter
27-09-2005, 19:19
Lol.

Rillington
27-09-2005, 22:17
I wonder how fast Telewest COULD go? I believe ntl can only get to 30-50 meg.

jtwn
27-09-2005, 23:18
Uh, I believe considering they both are on the floor, cable networks, they could supply whatever their equipment can handle.

Rillington
28-09-2005, 01:39
which currently is...

jtwn
28-09-2005, 10:13
Exactly. You don't know so how can you make assumptions?

Maybe because 'everybody' thinks TW is a shining path into the clouds? Ya right.

Pø†øƒGøLÐ
28-09-2005, 10:54
:LOL: and a 3 gig cap

Spoken like an nthell customer... and as a BY customer - what's a cap?? :confused:

andymt
28-09-2005, 17:19
speaking as a by customer-
i dunno wat a cap is, but they have a replacement.

When they want to, they give you a ****e service, ie giving you only 20-30% of the advertised speed. I pay for 1mb and find myself downloading at 50kbps sometimes.
Every time i reboot my modem is a lottery of what speed I will get.
People say it is the "side effects" of the upgrades that are coming to my area end of sep, but until i actually get the upgrade I cant accept that. If this upgrade doesn't come by friday (30sep) then i shall be angry. (im in mortlake area)
Id rather just have full 1mb speed and pay less rather than have a jaulty "pre upgrade speed" that ive been having since the first of september.

J.D
04-10-2005, 13:19
I only have a 2meg service the now. Waiting for my 10meg service which should be here by end of this October :) Im in Edinburgh and were very close to being updated. As for getting full speeds. I always get 253kb/s down and 30.4kb/s up so I've always received my full speed with TW.

I don't know why everyone is getting excited with the prospect of having 50 - 100 meg lines with Telewest maybe getting bought over and being completed maybe by the 1st quarter of 2006 by NTL. What the heck would a capped 50 - 100 meg line be good for??? Nothing! If NTHELL come and ruin this then bye-bye TW and I'll be welcoming ADSL2 with 24meg down and 1 meg up. I love TW but I'm not putting up with caps sorry but no way after enjoying my uncapped services for years now.

Amtiskaw
06-10-2005, 13:45
Yeah, because ADSL is never capped is it? :rolleyes:

J.D
06-10-2005, 14:32
Yes quite a lot of ADSL are capped. But UK Online, Bulldog and BeThere don't cap and two of my friends have a Bulldog 8 meg service (which have been running ok so far) and another friend has an 8 meg UK Online service (He's had no problems what-so-ever) So if you are getting capped by NTL after being with Telewest (if they take over and cap our BlueYonder services) wouldn't you want to change?????
I think the answer is yes!

Rillington
06-10-2005, 17:39
AOL doesn't either but the fastest they offer is 2 meg.

AtW
06-10-2005, 17:44
I like Telewest and don't want to change, but caps will be totally unacceptable, especially after all they said about not introducing them.

Instead of just jumping the ship I think its more important for Telewest users unite and unanimously reject any attempts to impose caps.

ryu69
06-10-2005, 17:59
if they have caps it will be stupid as they even say on there site our competitoirs dont offer this it will be stupid

goone
08-10-2005, 10:55
Dont mind caps as long as they are reasonable,take ukonline 500gig cap for example.

andymt
09-10-2005, 11:24
i dunno y everyone is so fussed with the merger.

yes tw have been bought, but we wont see any effects for years!!

J.D
10-10-2005, 17:05
I agree goone a 500gb cap is totally acceptable. I could live with that but any less and I sadly cry and tell my Telewest line that everything is gonna be ok and that it's not the line, it's me. We might hook back up in the future if things change but I want to see other ISP's. I had a good time with you telewest but now ur holding back on me. Im only 24 , I should be out there hahahahaha. I hope so Andymt If I get affected in 2006 then ur getting spammed lol kiddin or am I??

I ain't never paying for caps like NTL are offering now, NEVER!!!!

andymt
10-10-2005, 20:42
ntl wont impose caps unless they need to.

anyway, i think NTL is gonna treat the two cable cos as separate in the eyes of the public as not to confuse them.
If they did cap tw, then everyone would leave as most ppl are paying for the unlim!!
anyway, as long as its after your 1 year contract, no worries!!
you can just cancel and move to a llu