PDA

View Full Version : ip change

2||Para
23-09-2005, 01:17
Is the NTL ip address assigned to my modem static or is it possible to change it?

Been getting some packet loss from someone in a Mirc channel since they obtained my ip. :Yikes:

Hom3r
23-09-2005, 01:20
I believe it changes monthly. But I think if you turn it of for a period it will reasign a new IP

2||Para
23-09-2005, 01:22
Thanks for the info,
Any idea how long i need to leave it off for?

Hom3r
23-09-2005, 01:23
Sorry not sure but some one should come along soon and tell how long?

CJU
23-09-2005, 01:24
How is your modem connected to your computer as mine was through the usb i have now connected using the ethernet and my ip address change straight away

2||Para
23-09-2005, 01:25
Ethernet,been looking for my old usb cable but, as usual when i need it i cant find it.

kronas
23-09-2005, 01:26
there are two ways to change your IP

first leave your modem off for a few days, its not guaranteed to work though.

second one is changing your NIC card if you use a NIC to plug in your broadband to your computer, if you dont and use USB then use a NIC card and you will have a new IP.

EDIT: turn off your modem and plug the USB cable in, turn back on, you should have a new IP.

CJU
23-09-2005, 01:29
True but it also changes if you uninstall your ISP and then reinstall although it doesn't always work

2||Para
23-09-2005, 01:34
Thanks for the replies guys but, i found another way.My motherboard has 2 lan ports.I swapped from 1 to the other then powered everything back up and it changed.

CJU
23-09-2005, 02:14
Well done always the last thing you think stuff like this

Chris W
23-09-2005, 10:09
The ip address assigned to your PC is linked to the mac address of the device that is connected. A USB connection will always have a mac address one digit higher than the mac address of the cable modem, whereas an ethernet connection uses a NIC which has it's own mac address. The way to force an ip to change is to change the mac address in one of the following ways:

- switch from usb to ethernet or vice versa
- change network cards
- change the mac address of the NIC; Instructions (for windows):
Go into device manager and then the properties of the network card. In the "advanced" section there is an option to change the network address/ physical address/ mac address. Check the current mac address using ipconfig /all from a command prompt and then increase the mac address by one digit. Reboot everything and you should have a new ip.

You can also change a mac on an Apple Mac that is running 10.1 or higher using terminal, and typing:
sudo ifconfig en0 ether 00:00:00:00:00:00

where en0 is the interface you are using, and the zeros are the mac address that you want to use.

And for all you linux munkehs.... when logged in as root use:

/etc/init.d/networking stop
ifconfig eth0 hw ether 00:00:00:00:00:00
/etc/init.d/networking start

then reboot :)

Leaving the connection off for a period of time does not guarantee the same ip address, because even if the lease has expired, if the ip address has not been assigned to someone else you will get the same ip back again. Also reinstalling the ntl software will not give a different ip unless you use a different device to connect.

Hans Gruber
23-09-2005, 10:52
Well done always the last thing you think stuff like this

Just like your keys are always in the last place you look ;)

Jonboy
23-09-2005, 13:52
i changed my ip in the nic card properties to a static ip and cloned my mac addy in the router because my router kept changeing my ip every two days and some of my programs stopped working due to it not being able to find my ip i thought ntl look for a mac addy on the nic now
shoot me if i am wrong :)

Toto
23-09-2005, 15:11
Is the NTL ip address assigned to my modem static or is it possible to change it?

Been getting some packet loss from someone in a Mirc channel since they obtained my ip. :Yikes:

LOL, another lesson here, don't pee anyone off in IRC, its a script kiddie playground.

Well done on getting it sorted though :):)

i changed my ip in the nic card properties to a static ip and cloned my mac addy in the router because my router kept changeing my ip every two days and some of my programs stopped working due to it not being able to find my ip i thought ntl look for a mac addy on the nic now
shoot me if i am wrong :)

The IP address is assigned to the MAC address of your router, not the MAC address of the PC connected to it. Which I think is what you have said, not too sure. :)

KevAmiga
23-09-2005, 17:59
True but it also changes if you uninstall your ISP and then reinstall although it doesn't always work

Um not if you dont change the client mac ID it wont.

What exactly did you "uninstall"??

jrhnewark
24-09-2005, 02:06
Yarr, you're all amateurs!! :D

Step by step:

1. Open a command prompt by going to 'Run' and typing 'cmd' - press Enter.
2. In the new window, type: ipconfig /release ... and then press Enter.
3. Go to the Control Panel, and then onto 'Network and Internet Connections'. Then click 'Network Connections'.
4. Right click on your broadband connection, and go to 'Properties'.
5. In the new Properties window, scroll down to 'Internet Protocol TCP/IP', and click on it, and then click 'Properties'.
6. Click 'Use the following IP address' and enter something like 192.168.123.1, and then press 'Tab' to go down to 'Subnet mask' (and it'll automatically fill it in with '255.255.255.0' for you.
7. Press 'OK'.
8. When back to the Properties window, select 'Internet Protocol TCP/IP' again and click 'Properties'.
9. Select 'Obtain an IP address automatically' and 'Obtain DNS server address automatically'.
10. Click OK, then OK in the Properties window.

And there you have it, a new IP address all to yourself. :)

(I'm a genius, you know? ;))

JohnHorb
24-09-2005, 09:49
Don't see the point of all that ^^^. ipconfig/release followed by ipconfig/renew will do the same thing, and you're 99% likely to get the same IP again.

Chris W
24-09-2005, 09:50
<snip>

Just to clarify... please don't try this because if you are using ntl you won't be able to connect with an assigned ip address.

Had to post this just for those who didn't see the attempt at humour in jrhnewark's post...

oh and mr genius... there is no need to release the ip before setting it to use a specified ip ;) :p:

JohnHorb
24-09-2005, 10:00
Actually, thinking about it, if you release the IP address, then request a new one, how likely ARE you likely to get the same one back?

maverick
24-09-2005, 12:33
Actually, thinking about it, if you release the IP address, then request a new one, how likely ARE you likely to get the same one back?

99.999999999% to get the same ip again. :disturbd:

jrhnewark
24-09-2005, 14:32
Just to clarify... please don't try this because if you are using ntl you won't be able to connect with an assigned ip address.

Had to post this just for those who didn't see the attempt at humour in jrhnewark's post... It's hilarious, but it still works (assuming you're connected to your cable modem via Ethernet, it seems). :disturbd:

oh and mr genius... there is no need to release the ip before setting it to use a specified ip ;) :p:True, true. :cool:

Actually, thinking about it, if you release the IP address, then request a new one, how likely ARE you likely to get the same one back?I've never managed to change my NTL IP by doing that. :)

However, using above 'humourous' method, you're 99.999999% likely to get a new address - there's an element of trickery involved. ;)

Chrysalis
24-09-2005, 14:35
Why do people want to change their ip so much? I am fan of static ip's and like how it can stay for months.

The only advantages I can see with dynamic is if you are naughtly and need to hide yourself or if you are been attacked by someone.

2||Para
24-09-2005, 14:38
Why do people want to change their ip so much? I am fan of static ip's and like how it can stay for months.

The only advantages I can see with dynamic is if you are naughtly and need to hide yourself or if you are been attacked by someone.

Or you may have used the irc scanner we have to check for cheats in CSS,caught some idiot hacking ,banned him and then got attacked.

Not everything is as black and white or as simple as it 1st seems :D

Chrysalis
24-09-2005, 15:31
I did say if attacked.

Jonboy
25-09-2005, 01:43
i have to set my ip to static otherwise it screws up my web cam chat programs otherwise i would gladly go back to a wanderin :)

Slyder
25-09-2005, 12:45
Don't see the point of all that ^^^. ipconfig/release followed by ipconfig/renew will do the same thing, and you're 99% likely to get the same IP again.

You beat me to it.

ipconfig / release
ipconfig /renew

dunno if it works personally thou.

Jonboy
25-09-2005, 13:51
so you will have to do the same to the other 2 computers on the network think not

jrhnewark
25-09-2005, 14:34
You beat me to it.

ipconfig / release
ipconfig /renew

dunno if it works personally thou.That was the whole point of post #16, /release /renew doesn't work on NTL broadband. :)

Chrysalis
25-09-2005, 21:04
I did this earlier to fix another issue I had works if you have the hardware.

PC has 3 lan cards 2 built in and 1 pci, swapped it to new lan card. Power cycled modem and ran a ipconfig /renew to have it get a new ip.