PDA

View Full Version : At this time of year, they drive me crazy!

ScaredWebWarrior
22-09-2005, 23:36
I guess this makes me officially a 'grumpy old man', but it's got to be said.
Driving is just a real pain right now.

At this time of year, there are a couple of things out on the road that really get my back up.

For one, we have to put up with people putting their lights on for no real reason. It may still be light outside, but because of the time of year they put their lights on. So we end up dazzled for no good reason. If it was July, and the evening light was the same, they wouldn't dream of putting their headlights on.

The same goes for the odd grey day, when the available light is perfectly adequate, yet still those headlights are on.

And even worse, with the weather cooling, there is more morning mist around. Notice I said MIST - not FOG!
So why are their fog lights on?

And once they're on, you can bet for the next week, no matter what the weather, you'll be blinded by fog lights - even on clear days.

Never mind those Volvo's with their 'always on' headlights - I would like to see some technology applied to stop people switching on anything more than side lights unless the available light is insufficient.
And a compulsory circuit that resets the fog lights once the engine is switched off. There is already a required 'interlock' between headlights and fog lights.

Angua
22-09-2005, 23:51
See you obviously don't live out in the sticks!

Lights are frequently necessary in the countryside (even at this time of year). I do agree folks go ott with the fog lights though. They are only really needed in a pea souper.

CJU
22-09-2005, 23:54
Yeah it is a different story in the country sidebut manwhat a pain in the inner city areas and such. It tricks like using their lights when they are not required that cause road accidents therefore meaning insurance prices go up again, thus we have to shell outextra money every year

Stuart
22-09-2005, 23:57
And even worse, with the weather cooling, there is more morning mist around. Notice I said MIST - not FOG!
So why are their fog lights on?

IIRC, aren't Fog lights dangerous whatever the weather conditions? I did start learning to drive a few years ago and I am pretty sure my then driving instructor said that Fog lights are dangerous to the user as Fog is slightly reflective, therefore there is a possibility you will dazzle yourself by using them. He actually recommended side lights when in fog.

Actually, although this irritates me, a couple of related things irritate me. One is when people drive in the dark with NO lights on (having been nearly hit by a van doing around 50 in a 30 zone with no lights on at nearly midnight). Also, I don't know if Bromley council use low wattage bulbs or something, but this area does seem noticably darker than surrounding areas, and many people drive through with their headlights on full beam. This irritates me.

Roy MM
22-09-2005, 23:58
:erm: my Volvo over ten years ago ran as normal with side lights on, i think it's a good idea whatever the weather/light to run on lights on.

CJU
23-09-2005, 00:03
IIRC, aren't Fog lights dangerous whatever the weather conditions? I did start learning to drive a few years ago and I am pretty sure my then driving instructor said that Fog lights are dangerous to the user as Fog is slightly reflective, therefore there is a possibility you will dazzle yourself by using them. He actually recommended side lights when in fog.

Actually, although this irritates me, a couple of related things irritate me. One is when people drive in the dark with NO lights on (having been nearly hit by a van doing around 50 in a 30 zone with no lights on at nearly midnight). Also, I don't know if Bromley council use low wattage bulbs or something, but this area does seem noticably darker than surrounding areas, and many people drive through with their headlights on full beam. This irritates me.

A van doing thatis not because they forgot to turn the headlights on or whatever its because they was doingsomething that they didn't want to attract attention to

MovedGoalPosts
23-09-2005, 00:09
Hmm, I suspect that most of the casue of people being dazzled is not to do with incorrect or inapproriate use of headlamsp, not dipped lights, or even fog lamps, but poorly adjusted lights. MOT should check light alignment, as should a proper service, but realistically does the average mechanic do this?

Fog lamps or "driving lamps" as some manufacturer's tried to call them are positioned so low that they don't directly shine at oncoming traffic. Only problem is the car is such a birght spot few can see past it.

There is a balance to be struck between use of some lights and no use. it's a case of are you visible enough or not. Personally I welcome the increased prevelance of sensible light use compared to a few years ago,when even on dull misty days you couldn't work out if a car was there or not.

Stuart
23-09-2005, 00:28
A van doing thatis not because they forgot to turn the headlights on or whatever its because they was doingsomething that they didn't want to attract attention to

I did figure that. Regardless of motives, it's bloody irritating.

marky
23-09-2005, 00:37
I allways drive with my lights on in the rain, because if you look in your mirror you sometimes cant see a dark looking car :shrug: but never fog lamps, they are just annoying.

Martin
23-09-2005, 00:38
Fog lights are mega annoying! Tho it doesn't suprise me that people leave them on..... I was behind a car with the left indicator on for about a mile before he actually did go left!

CJU
23-09-2005, 01:06
Fog lights are mega annoying! Tho it doesn't suprise me that people leave them on..... I was behind a car with the left indicator on for about a mile before he actually did go left!

Yep typical sunday driveras we call them out once a week

bob_a_builder
23-09-2005, 07:32
He actually recommended side lights when in fog. what, and become some sort of stealth bomber - you might be able to see, but no one will see you

however I agree regarding rear fog lights, mine does have an interlock so have to be switched on each time engine is started, the number of cars driving home in a evening of a foggy (morning) day with them still on is quite high

SMHarman
23-09-2005, 09:15
IIRC, aren't Fog lights dangerous whatever the weather conditions? I did start learning to drive a few years ago and I am pretty sure my then driving instructor said that Fog lights are dangerous to the user as Fog is slightly reflective, therefore there is a possibility you will dazzle yourself by using them. He actually recommended side lights when in fog.Front or rear. Rear most certainly not, front, if the fog is really really low lying then maybe, but not usually. Your driving instructor recommenting side lights in fog. When did he last read the highway code. Many modern cars will not operate the rear fog lights without the headlights on.Actually, although this irritates me, a couple of related things irritate me. One is when people drive in the dark with NO lights on (having been nearly hit by a van doing around 50 in a 30 zone with no lights on at nearly midnight). Also, I don't know if Bromley council use low wattage bulbs or something, but this area does seem noticably darker than surrounding areas, and many people drive through with their headlights on full beam. This irritates me.There is nothing wrong with using full beam when no other traffic is around, in fact it is safer, have you ever tried overtaking a car that is driving on dipped headlights, you cannot (should not) use full beam until your headlights are alongside that cars driver, but prior to that it is obviously harder to pick out the road.

Hmm, I suspect that most of the casue of people being dazzled is not to do with incorrect or inapproriate use of headlamsp, not dipped lights, or even fog lamps, but poorly adjusted lights. MOT should check light alignment, as should a proper service, but realistically does the average mechanic do this?Most cars also have an adjustment to the headlamps depending on load. Most drivers don't bother adjusting it.
Personally I welcome the increased prevelance of sensible light use compared to a few years ago,when even on dull misty days you couldn't work out if a car was there or not.Technology wise many cars automatically turn their headlamps on now days.

A van doing thatis not because they forgot to turn the headlights on or whatever its because they was doingsomething that they didn't want to attract attention toBut surely keeping to the speed limit and driving with the lights on attracts less attention?

me283
23-09-2005, 09:35
The thing that really grates with me is people who put their rear fog lights on WHEN IT RAINS!! The glare from those things is incredible, and the rain seems to intensify it.

Oh, and also people who drive in the middle lane on the motorway when the inside lane is clear; then they get irate when people pass them on the inside.

I am currently in Poland and have to say that it amazes me how considerate Polish drivers are in comparison to English. Many of the bigger roads here are three/four lanes in total, not each direction. When you go to overtake anyone they move to the side to give you extra space, as do drivers coming in the opposite direction. Most courteous. In England they just hog the road!

Stuart
23-09-2005, 09:48
IIRC, aren't Fog lights dangerous whatever the weather conditions? I did start learning to drive a few years ago and I am pretty sure my then driving instructor said that Fog lights are dangerous to the user as Fog is slightly reflective, therefore there is a possibility you will dazzle yourself by using them. He actually recommended side lights when in fog.Front or rear. Rear most certainly not, front, if the fog is really really low lying then maybe, but not usually. Your driving instructor recommenting side lights in fog. When did he last read the highway code. Many modern cars will not operate the rear fog lights without the headlights on.

He may well have said headlights. It was about 15 years ago. One thing though, he did recommend you DON'T use fog lights (for the reasons I outlined).

Actually, although this irritates me, a couple of related things irritate me. One is when people drive in the dark with NO lights on (having been nearly hit by a van doing around 50 in a 30 zone with no lights on at nearly midnight). Also, I don't know if Bromley council use low wattage bulbs or something, but this area does seem noticably darker than surrounding areas, and many people drive through with their headlights on full beam. This irritates me.There is nothing wrong with using full beam when no other traffic is around, in fact it is safer, have you ever tried overtaking a car that is driving on dipped headlights, you cannot (should not) use full beam until your headlights are alongside that cars driver, but prior to that it is obviously harder to pick out the road.

I can see the need for full beam. However, a lot of drivers round my way use them when the road in front is clear (nothing to overtake), and any bends are well signposted. All they seem to achieve then is blinding any oncoming traffic (and pedestrians).

marky
23-09-2005, 09:57
If the fog is that bad that you need rear fog lights on, then all round visibility is to bad to be driving.;)

SMHarman
23-09-2005, 10:22
One thing that seems to have dissapeared from cars in the last few years is dim-dip. This put dipped headlamps at a lower wattage on when the engine was running and the switch was set to sidelights. A great setting for driving around cities at night as there is normally enough street lighting to require no car lights. Brighter than sidelights, dimmer than headlights, a good compromise. What happened to it.