PDA

View Full Version : Are NTL blocking P2P?

philr44
21-09-2005, 11:58
Hi,

Have NTL blocked P2P connections, everything was fine until yesterday then suddenly none of my P2P programs work anymore. Everything else is OK, only my connection to the P2P networks are affected.

Thanks

punky
21-09-2005, 12:03
:welcome: to CF :)

I am tempted to say no... but i'll reserve judgement. NTL have no policy for port blocking, even though it fails on some people's connections from time to time. I used P2P yesterday and it was fine.

What P2P are you having problems with? What problems do you have?

marky
21-09-2005, 12:04
Hi and :welcome:
No mine are working fine

Neil
21-09-2005, 12:16
Hi,

Have NTL blocked P2P connections, everything was fine until yesterday then suddenly none of my P2P programs work anymore. Everything else is OK, only my connection to the P2P networks are affected.

Thanks

1) No.

2) :welcome: to the site. :)

Bill C
21-09-2005, 12:16
As far as i am aware NTL do not block p2p. I have just tested this on my PC here in Warrington. There are no problems connecting to any of the main p2p systems.

What part of the country are you in ?

phaze9
21-09-2005, 12:39
nope don't have any probs either

philr44
21-09-2005, 12:52
I tried WinMX and Bittorrent, neither will connect. After reading about the CAP enforcementââ ¡Ã‚¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s, I thought that perhaps this may be something NTL are doing to stop people going further over their upload/download limits.

I downloaded a full distribution of Linux yesterday via bittorrent (legally acquired), so have undoubtedly exceeded my CAP this month. This could be a coincidence and completely unrelated, just seems suspicous that my P2P doesn't work anymore.

Neil
21-09-2005, 13:05
Gotta be a config/firewall/router issue.

monkey2468
21-09-2005, 14:25
WinXP SP2?

garyparson
21-09-2005, 15:59
what does sp2 do? I have problems getting above 70 at home when I'd expect to get around 200 with a 2 meg connection.

I was getting about 30 but i lowered the upload to 5 and now it goes at 70 max. i was always under the assumption that the more you upload the more you download but that's not the case for me. also mine seems to go up and down all the time instead of being a constant download. I use azureus at home (ntl) and at the girlfriends (bt) and on her 512k connection it maxes out on everything i get.

Dogster
21-09-2005, 16:17
WinMX has ceased operations for now and Bittorrent is working fine
from my end.
Link to the WinMX saga from Slyck.com
http://slyck.com/news.php?story=921

Bill C
21-09-2005, 16:19
what does sp2 do? I have problems getting above 70 at home when I'd expect to get around 200 with a 2 meg connection.

I was getting about 30 but i lowered the upload to 5 and now it goes at 70 max. i was always under the assumption that the more you upload the more you download but that's not the case for me. also mine seems to go up and down all the time instead of being a constant download. I use azureus at home (ntl) and at the girlfriends (bt) and on her 512k connection it maxes out on everything i get.

Sp2 has changed how many half open connections you can open. look HERE (http://www.lvllord.de/?lang=en&url=tools) and HERE (http://p2p.weblogsinc.com/entry/4341347581391114/)for info

Dogster
21-09-2005, 16:28
Bill C beat me to it, was about to edit my last post.
Check your event viewer>control panel>admin tools>event viewer>system.
Look for Event ID 4226
"TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number
of concurrent TCP connect attempts."
I found it significantly slows down Bittorrent and even if patched before
it gets reset to 10 when you do a Windows update.

philr44
21-09-2005, 16:56
Dogster,

Thanks, that explains why I can no longer connect to the WinMX network. My bittorrent client has just started working again (don't know why) so my concerns that NTL were blocking the P2P ports are completely unfounded.

Thanks to everyone here that helped to solve the mistery. I will miss the WinMX network, hope that the other P2P networks survive.

shadowbender
22-09-2005, 00:44
Bill C beat me to it, was about to edit my last post.
Check your event viewer>control panel>admin tools>event viewer>system.
Look for Event ID 4226
"TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number
of concurrent TCP connect attempts."
I found it significantly slows down Bittorrent and even if patched before
it gets reset to 10 when you do a Windows update.
-------------------------------------------------------
ok i found the above what do i do now do i tick a box delete etc??????

DerekRothwell
22-09-2005, 07:42
I tried WinMX and Bittorrent, neither will connect. After reading about the CAP enforcementââ ¡Ã‚¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s, I thought that perhaps this may be something NTL are doing to stop people going further over their upload/download limits.

I downloaded a full distribution of Linux yesterday via bittorrent (legally acquired), so have undoubtedly exceeded my CAP this month. This could be a coincidence and completely unrelated, just seems suspicous that my P2P doesn't work anymore.

WinMX site has been taken down by the authorities - It no longer exists. It was wiped off the face of the earth on Tuesday see here http://www.zeropaid.com/news/5715/WinMX+offline+-+RIAA+wins%3F+Ya+Right%21

Dogster
22-09-2005, 09:25
-------------------------------------------------------
ok i found the above what do i do now do i tick a box delete etc??????

Use the patch, which Bill C linked to in his post, to set the concurrent
TCP connection limit to 50.