PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Washing Machine

TigaSefi
19-10-2003, 11:07
Does anyone have any good sites to buy a washing machine at good prices ? I have tried comet, Currys, and empiredirect.co.uk and I liked a washing machine from Empiredirect but unfortunately they don't seem to deliver anywhere else apart from the card holder place (I live at my gf's house) and I don't fancy carryin' a 2 ton washing machine half way across london.

Paul K
19-10-2003, 11:36
Argos?

Chimaera
19-10-2003, 11:36
I think you will find the delivery/credit card problem with all the major sites TigaSefi. If you find a machine you like on the Comet or Curry's website, have you tried going into your nearest branch and ordering it from there? If it is cheaper on the web take a printout with you - they will sometimes match the price! :)

TigaSefi
21-10-2003, 14:17
Sorted, went into curry's and it came today.... missus happy.

Dooby
21-10-2003, 15:04
damn, i was too late..
http://www.appliance-direct.co.uk/
got a little compact dishwasher ( bosch ) from this place, v.cheap, delivered to my work address by courier included in price.

timewarrior2001
21-10-2003, 15:10
Sorted, went into curry's and it came today.... missus happy.
Excellent, I just pray you didnt buy a Servis product.

handyman
21-10-2003, 15:25
or indesit, hotpoint or hoover :)

All gone down hill big time.

TigaSefi
21-10-2003, 16:20
Well, we did have a servis that was working very well till my lil 16 months old decided to play with the on/off button repeatdly during a wash till it blew up and cut off the electric :D Now we got an Indesit so we'll see how that goes :D Incidently i wanted to get a BOSCH but they looked friggin' ugly and cost far too much for my budget.

Chimaera
21-10-2003, 17:59
or indesit, hotpoint or hoover :)

All gone down hill big time.
Erm - what would you suggest then handy?

(I agree with not buying Hoover btw :afire: but have just bought an Indesit!)

handyman
22-10-2003, 00:17
Zanussi, Aeg , Miele , Bosch or Siemens.

For the money you cant go wrong with a miele, they are built for 20 years service. You may see indesits at sub £200 but from a service point of view the expected life of them is around 14 months.

Miele used to (i dont know if they still do) offer a extended warranty to 5 years for £15. This is through a company that offer the same on other brands for around £150. And its a fully comp w/tee also covers accidental damage the works, thats how confident they are in their product.

Top whack on a miele is £1000 plus but for that you will get a fantastic washer. They start from £500 but they built like brick out houses.

If you have the space for one phillips do a american style top loader that I also rate, its semi commercial and takes something like a 17lb load. Price on them is sub £400 also. They do a matching dryer also v good. Dryer (http://www.ogormans.co.uk/whirlpoo6.htm) Washer (http://www.ogormans.co.uk/whirlpoo1.htm)

[edit]add candy to the 'avoid with bargepole list also', possibly as bad as indesit esp the older ones, impossible to service.

oohh and just remembered about miele, they have only one service fella for the north east covering most stuff they do, and he aint that busy.

SMHarman
22-10-2003, 01:47
Bosch - best balance between price and reliability.

Bosch is also branded Siemens

Mielie - will never go wrong - but you pay for it. John Lewis wwty them for 15 years I think.

JL also a good place to buy never undersold and extended wwtys for free

handyman
22-10-2003, 04:03
are you a washer chap too smharman?

Seems we both speaking the same language, though i'm sure if we had or way we be recomending the old 95.. series hotpoints, not a super washer but very cheap to maintain and v easy for washer repair types to fix.

SMHarman
22-10-2003, 09:10
No just did a pretty big rebuild on my house last year - moved the kitchen and refitted as a result ended up shopping for all new kitchen appliances. The Which guides are very good for this also.

Did you know the 4th wedding aniversary gift is traditionally fruit or flowers and in the modern list appliances. I told Mrs H I had bought her a Dishwasher (Bosch), Fridge (Admiral American Side by Side), Washing Machine (Bosch Excel), Dryer (Bosch Logix) and Range cooker (Smeg) for her aniversary, but she still wanted more!

D&G are busy reminding me to buy three extended wtys for the wet appliances - pah.

Whats also good is they are cold water only so it is a) clean and not tainted by being run through the storage system (though the megaflow is pretty clean) and b) does not use hot or impact on showers etc.

iadom
22-10-2003, 16:45
are you a washer chap too smharman?

Seems we both speaking the same language, though i'm sure if we had or way we be recomending the old 95.. series hotpoints, not a super washer but very cheap to maintain and v easy for washer repair types to fix.

Naw.. What you really want is a Hotpoint 1090 Empress. Large 1/4 horsepower British Thopmson Hueston motor with centrifugal start switch, massive separate gearbox..oh yes, did I forget to mention the powered wringer.:D

I can still remember the part numbers for the gearbox and post nut, the last time I repaired one of these must be over 25 years ago.

PS, Both Hotpoint and Bosch have had major bearing problems with their machines in the past couple of years.

SMHarman
22-10-2003, 16:50
A friend of mine had a Zanussi whose concrete counterweight exploded over the kitchen floor. Poor readymix apparantly.

handyman
22-10-2003, 17:46
Naw.. What you really want is a Hotpoint 1090 Empress. Large 1/4 horsepower British Thopmson Hueston motor with centrifugal start switch, massive separate gearbox..oh yes, did I forget to mention the powered wringer.:D

I can still remember the part numbers for the gearbox and post nut, the last time I repaired one of these must be over 25 years ago.

PS, Both Hotpoint and Bosch have had major bearing problems with their machines in the past couple of years.

We had one of those in our shop :)
I was called out to one that had not been serviced in 20 odd years and both myself and the other engineer could not get one nut to turn on the damn thing :)

I rather liked the hotpoints with the purple door glass :) very retro i'd like to have a matching set tumbler/washer in mint condition for my house.

iadom
22-10-2003, 20:55
A friend of mine had a Zanussi whose concrete counterweight exploded over the kitchen floor. Poor readymix apparantly.In the early 70's Hotpoint ( who I worked for at the time ) imported Zanussi made machines that where rebranded as Hotpoint, this was done to keep the brand in the shops whilst a major factory rebuild was in progress. The only real problem with these machines was that they had two models with spin speeds of 380 & 570 rpm. At the time the current Hotpoint machine the 1600 would spin at 1100, well before any other manufacturer achieved this.

The Zanussi machine had its concrete block on the top of the drum at that time.
I went to a call in Chadderton, walked in and said to the customer, "don't tell me, your machine is jumping all over the place" . " Brilliant" she said, "how did you know that without me saying anything". I told here that I had noticed that the concrete weight from the machine was propping her gate open. They had removed it thinking it was the transit packing.:D

nuttyhaze2000
23-01-2005, 16:28
my indiset w123 washing machine when spinnig cuts all of my electric out could any one please help me out to why this could be happening,thanku

Chris
23-01-2005, 16:43
We have just bought separate Hotpoint machines - a washer and a dryer. We're very happy with them; the washer in particular runs so quietly it takes me by surprise if I go into the kitchen in the evening and then hear a quiet swishing noise ... the only sound it makes while it's washing!

Both machines came with a manufacturer's five-year parts warranty, so if anything does go wrong we'll only pay for a call-out. I'm quite sure the greasy salesman at Comet was well aware of this, but it didn't stop him trying to sell us an extended warranty three times while he was processing our order (clearly the word 'no' means something other than the negative to Comet salesmen).

my indiset w123 washing machine when spinnig cuts all of my electric out could any one please help me out to why this could be happening,thanku

Sorry my friend, I only just noticed this is an ancient thread resurrected ... had a quick skim through to find out why, and here you are!

:welcome: to Cable Forum ... I'll admit it's a bit unusual for someone to make their first post asking for help with a washing machine rather than a cable modem, but it's nice to have you all the same.

I know we have at least one washing machine repair man on here, so stick around, I'm sure someone can help you. :)

homealone
23-01-2005, 16:44

it could be the bushes have worn out in the motor & the resultant arcing is causing your RCD to trip - but that's a complete guess :dozey:

Chimaera
23-01-2005, 16:45
Well try this forum - http://www.howtomendit.com/index.php It might just be able to offer some help - I think they do all sorts of machines and faults.

Raistlin
23-01-2005, 16:55

Can't help with the washing machine I'm afraid but :welcome: to CF nonetheless!!

Halcyon
23-01-2005, 16:58
Whatever you do, I hope its got its concrete in it.....You dont want it running away.

nuttyhaze2000
23-01-2005, 17:47
thakyou very much:D

thanku very much

[i have tried this site and they cant help me either:mad:

nuttyhaze2000
23-01-2005, 18:30
this site doesnt help me do u know any other sites m8 please

paulyoung666
23-01-2005, 18:57

hi and :welcome: to the site as well , if you open the door and spin the drum by hand , does it turn freely , a starting point if nothing else :erm: , hang on though , do you have an earth leakage trip on the consumer board ??? , it sounds like an earth fault to me :disturbd:

greencreeper
23-01-2005, 22:13
I've never had any problems with Hoover :erm: I'm thinking of replacing the current machine - it makes the living room shake. Shrieks occasionally too. I was going to go for another Hoover, but after reading this thread I might go for one of the foreign makes. Hmmm.

Chimaera
23-01-2005, 22:41
I've never had any problems with Hoover :erm: I'm thinking of replacing the current machine - it makes the living room shake. Shrieks occasionally too. I was going to go for another Hoover, but after reading this thread I might go for one of the foreign makes. Hmmm.
No no no no no no no NOOOOOO!!!!!! Never buy a Hoover - I had one and the engineer came out to it when it was 6 weeks old, and every month after that - we were on first name terms within months!! It eventually packed up when it was 3 1/2 years old, it needed a new motor but after 5 weeks waiting (with 2 kids and NO washing machine!) I told them what to do with it - and that was with the so called 'Coverplan' which was meant to ensure that your machine was kept running with the minimum of fuss. I went out and bought a cheap and cheerful Indesit which washes better than that horrible Hoover ever did, and so far it's been plain sailing for 2 years (well apart from a certain ham-fisted forum member snapping the door handle off it a few months back! ;) ) So now I don't care if this one packs up, I'll just go and get another one - oh and don't bother with the Coverplan/Mastercare cr@p - they take your money then don't come out for 3 weeks, then do sod all when they do turn up!
Rant over! :rant: (and apologies if any of you out there work for any of the aforementioned companies - just sharing my experiences that's all! :angel: )

greencreeper
23-01-2005, 23:31
Hmmm. My trusty Hoover has survived being bounced down a flight of stairs, slung on van, driven halfway across Leeds, and bounced off the van into the house. Just needed an engineer to give it's programme knob a pull. Only reason I got an engineer was because of the Coverplan, though I did have trouble changing my address - my name was too short :erm:

I guess everyone's experiences differ :shrug: I suppose it depends on how much you use the washer and what for - all those bibs with Heinz dinners welded to them, or the plaster encrusted overalls.

iadom
23-01-2005, 23:42
I've never had any problems with Hoover
The Hoover brand name was owned for many years by an American company called Maytag, makers of massive industrial sized appliances. Due to the crazy 'free flights' offer that cost them millions in compo they lost patience with the European arm and it was sold, lock stock and barrel to Candy:td: over 5 years ago. All Hoover washers and tumble dryers have been basically Italian since then. They may assemble them here to allow them to keep the Royal Warrant on the front but you are still buying a fairly cheap Italian machine, even if the price may not reflect this.
I still repair Hotpoint machines over 25 years old and Hoover ones over 20. It is a sad fact that the British white goods manufacturing has gone the same way as the motorcyle and to a major extent the motor industry.:( Only difference is its the Italians and not the Japanese with heavily subsidised factories doing the damage.

greencreeper
24-01-2005, 08:02
I guess it'll have to be one of those Zanussi's then :erm: I'll be blaming you all if I come home to find the sofa afloat :D

etccarmageddon
24-01-2005, 08:10
I have a zannusi washer dryer - after around 18 months the pump died which was fixed under the warranty.

if you buy an extended warranty for it - buy on your credit card. I bought one with a 'cashback' from powerplan 5 years ago and not only have I lost most of the cash back but also the warranty repairs service has been affected. scottish power ran the company and sold it on during the warranty period - the new company went into administration.

if you buy on credit card you can make a claim against the credit card company even at 5 years!

nuttyhaze2000
24-01-2005, 09:38
how do i find out if i have an earth leakage on my board,im just a mere woman,i havent got a clue.could u please help me out

thankyou

iadom
24-01-2005, 10:02
Not something you would be able to check yourself without the right equipment,
I have replied to your PM's with some further suggestions.

Edit, forgot to ask you, do have any sign of a leak, however small on your machine ?

paulyoung666
24-01-2005, 10:39
how do i find out if i have an earth leakage on my board,im just a mere woman,i havent got a clue.could u please help me out

thankyou

if i read your other post properly , did you mean all the power goes off in the house ??????? , when the power goes off , do you just flick a switch on the consumer board to turn it back on again ?????? :)

Not something would be able to check yourself without the right equipment,
I have replied to your PM's with some further suggestions.

Edit, forgot to ask you, do have any sign of a leak, however small on your machine ?

if the whole power to the house is going off then it would suggest an earth leakage problem , would it not ?????? , if it only knocked the sockets off i would have thought it would be an old fashioned board with individual fuses :)

Nanook
24-01-2005, 10:41
Anyone got one of those huge Dysons?

iadom
24-01-2005, 10:58
if the whole power to the house is going off then it would suggest an earth leakage problem , would it not ?????? , if it only knocked the sockets off i would have thought it would be an old fashioned board with individual fuses :)

The modern RCD's are very sensitive and I have seen machines trip one time then run perfectly for many months before doing it again. I have checked these appliances and can find no trace of current leakage.
In this case I suspect a fault is developing in the motor, possibly the armature, ( may be worn brushes but it would not revolve at all with completely worn brushes) this would cause the RCD to trip when gonig into spin, the arcing that happens at this time can trip the RCD. It is an out side possibility that a wire is loose or chafed, this may only be touching internal metal parts when the machine goes into spin due to the extra sideways movement that sometimes occurs during spin. Also if there is a slight leak the water could splashed around during spin but fall harmlessly on the floor during wash.

homealone
24-01-2005, 11:20
The modern RCD's are very sensitive and I have seen machines trip one time then run perfectly for many months before doing it again. I have checked these appliances and can find no trace of current leakage.
In this case I suspect a fault is developing in the motor, possibly the armature, ( may be worn brushes but it would not revolve at all with completely worn brushes) this would cause the RCD to trip when gonig into spin, the arcing that happens at this time can trip the RCD. It is an out side possibility that a wire is loose or chafed, this may only be touching internal metal parts when the machine goes into spin due to the extra sideways movement that sometimes occurs during spin. Also if there is a slight leak the water could splashed around during spin but fall harmlessly on the floor during wash.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showpost.php?p=383557&postcount=20

- doh I meant brushes, not bushes :dunce:

:)

zoombini
24-01-2005, 11:21
What's up with the Servis products then? what's so bad about them?

iadom
24-01-2005, 11:32
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showpost.php?p=383557&postcount=20

- doh I meant brushes, not bushes :dunce:

:)

You are not alone, in fact most people say to me ,"I think my bushes have gone". Cue me looking out into the garden with a sarcastic look on my face. ;) :D

What's up with the Servis products then? what's so bad about them?
25 years or more ago, Servis was the domestic appliance arm of a firm called Wilkins & Mitchell. They mainly produced the heavy industrial presses used in the motor industry. When the British motor industry went down the tubes in the 60'/70's the firm went into a major decline. The Servis name was sold off to an oil company called Tricentrol if my memory is correct. This did not last for very long and at the time you would have been able to purchase the whole business for £1 if you accepted the liabilities. I am not sure of the person involved but a Welsh ''asset stripper' bought the company for an sum of which I am not sure. He closed all the factories, laid of most of the staff and for many years has imported fairly cheap foreign machines into this country with the Servis name on them. They have a very poor reputation in the trade. I would not cross the street to my grandmother to repair a Servis appliance.

nuttyhaze2000
24-01-2005, 17:17
no i have no leaks from my machine

it knocks all my electric out and i have 2 flick a switch 2 get it all back on again

i have no leaks from my washer
it spins but when it goes 2 a really good spin my whole electric goes

SMHarman
24-01-2005, 17:37
Then the motor is arcing and tripping the RCD / MCB etc.

paulyoung666
24-01-2005, 18:27
kinda where i was coming from :)

SMHarman
24-01-2005, 23:37
My electrician ran two kitchen rings one for the wet goods and the other for the sockets and fridge. The wet goods can trip the circuit, but the fridge keeps the food cool.
Not that the Bosch washing machine does this.

iadom
25-01-2005, 10:08
Not that the Bosch washing machine does this.
Neither does my 25 year old British built Hotpoint. ;)

Just remind us who built the Aurora. :)

Chris
25-01-2005, 10:11

PMSL

That makes me feel much better about the Hotpoint appliances we've just bought...not that I was feeling bad, they are very swish.

andy 1
25-01-2005, 12:20
PMSL

That makes me feel much better about the Hotpoint appliances we've just bought...not that I was feeling bad, they are very swish.

as an ex domestic appliance engineer and my experience with hotpoint appliances,i hope youv'e taken out the extended warranty because your gonna need it.
most of my calls where to hotpoint appliances

Chris
25-01-2005, 12:32
as an ex domestic appliance engineer and my experience with hotpoint appliances,i hope youv'e taken out the extended warranty because your gonna need it.

Eww, never take out an extended warranty from a retailer, it's a rip off. I would almost certainly spend less on calling out an engineer.

As it happens, Hotpoint machines come with a 5-year parts guarantee, if something does go wrong it only costs me the callout.

andy 1
25-01-2005, 12:41
Eww, never take out an extended warranty from a retailer, it's a rip off. I would almost certainly spend less on calling out an engineer.

As it happens, Hotpoint machines come with a 5-year parts guarantee, if something does go wrong it only costs me the callout.

well i hope youv'e got plenty of money for the call outs then

what is it now about 60 pounds.

i used to love hotpoints always carried plenty of carbon brushes for the motor and bearings and spider for the inner drum for when it got noisy a bit on spin.

and as for the extended warranty being a con my toshiba tv that i'd had for 4yrs and 7 months went wrong and couldn't be fixed. glad i had the extended warranty, mastercare gave me a credit note for the original purchase price 1500 quid.
i am now the owner of a new tv dvd recorder and a digital sound surround machine all thanks to mastercares extended warranty.
so i'm afraid i disagree with you there the extended warranty worked for me.

Stuart
25-01-2005, 12:53

Or my 10 year old Indesit...

handyman
25-01-2005, 12:56
Hotpoints are now about £80 call-out charge inc AFAIK 30 mins work.

They also now require a complete tub change on a bearing job. this makes the job to expensive unless done under the parts gtee.

andy 1
25-01-2005, 13:06
Hotpoints are now about £80 call-out charge inc AFAIK 30 mins work.

They also now require a complete tub change on a bearing job. this makes the job to expensive unless done under the parts gtee.

tell me how long do you think it takes to change the drum then say 1 and a half hours.
so what do you think hotpoint would charge to do a bearing and tub change.

tell me handyman if you had to have a hotpoint washer and didn't know how to fix them would you have taken out the extended warranty.

and from experience i think the zanussi washing machines are now getting a bit dodgy.don't you think.

also can you remember the ariston washer dryers i can remember a couple of those where the drum jammed with a sock round the heater and drum and the belt and the pulley on the motor melted.
also after a while the heat from the dryer would make the door warp and then it would leak.
i never did like ariston i had a mate was 1 of there service engineers i always used to get him to have a look at them for me if i didn't feel like doing them.

handyman
25-01-2005, 13:08
tell me handyman if you had to have a hotpoint washer and didn't know how to fix them would you have taken out the extended warranty.

I never ever take out extended warrantys or guarantees. on any product.

I sell them I know what the mark up is :eek:

andy 1
25-01-2005, 13:14
please read my post 52 again handyman about how long it takes to do a bearing or tub change on a hotpoint.
i must have been editing my post when you posted

gary_580
25-01-2005, 13:43

we had a hotpoint machine which lasted about 10 years. Eventually the bearing failed, probably as a result of too heavy a load being put in. Based upon that experience we bought another hotpoint machine and its been great. The white goods appliance we've had fail is a Bosch dishwasher and that failed afer about 3 years and needed a new controller which was pricey.

However I would never take out extended warranty, it often adds 50% to the price of the appliance. If theres a 50-50 chance its going to fail in that time then i believe the extended warranty company are going to "generally" win. So why pay them, you might as well keep your money. If you think about it, most people have 4 + white goods in the house so on that basis if you pay the extended warranty on four items you might as well have bought 6 items with no warranty as it will be about the same price. So for example if one of the four items fails you can spend your reserve and buy a new item and still make a profit.

I never ever take out extended warrantys or guarantees. on any product.

I sell them I know what the mark up is :eek:

spot on, how many people do they pay commision? how much does the insurance company actually receive? the pricing of the insurance product will mean that a fair proportion of what is recieved is priced as profit

and as for the extended warranty being a con my toshiba tv that i'd had for 4yrs and 7 months went wrong and couldn't be fixed. glad i had the extended warranty, mastercare gave me a credit note for the original purchase price 1500 quid.
i am now the owner of a new tv dvd recorder and a digital sound surround machine all thanks to mastercares extended warranty.
so i'm afraid i disagree with you there the extended warranty worked for me.

so you happy with that through personal experience. But on a sample of 1 that cant be considered as the norm

please read my post 52 again handyman about how long it takes to do a bearing or tub change on a hotpoint.
i must have been editing my post when you posted

you told us, 90 mins

andy 1
25-01-2005, 13:56
all i can say about the extended warranty is if i had not taken it out on my tv i would have been left with 1500 quids worth of scrap.
as it was my extended warranty enabled me to replace my tv and purchase a dvd recorder and sound surround machine.

so i suppose it really depends on the price of the goods if its worth taking out the extended warranty.

you told us, 90 mins[/QUOTE]

i was asking handyman how long it took him to change the tub on a hotpoint.

and as for how long a washing machine lasts depends on how often its used,how hard the water is, wether its overloaded or underloaded things like that.

Chimaera
25-01-2005, 13:56
I'd never take out another extended warranty - I still had to wait 7 working days for a callout to my washing machine, which they still couldn't fix after 5 weeks - it was a very unusual part that had malfunctioned (they told me, and very hard to obtain spares) - the motor :dozey:
:2up: to Hoover and Masterplan!! Never again!!!!!!

Chris
25-01-2005, 14:07
all i can say about the extended warranty is if i had not taken it out on my tv i would have been left with 1500 quids worth of scrap.
as it was my extended warranty enabled me to replace my tv and purchase a dvd recorder and sound surround machine.

so i suppose it really depends on the price of the goods if its worth taking out the extended warranty.

That's sort of the point I was making. I'm not saying things don't go wrong, but it is well known that the extended warranties sold by the same retailers who sell you your new TV or washing machine over-charge you. Watchdog, Witch? and other consumer organisations have all looked into this and reached the same conclusion. The fact that when I bought my new washer and dryer the shop assistant tried three times to get me to buy the warranty (despite getting a firm 'no' each time) suggests just how much profit they make off them. He was desparate.

I would never, under any circumstances, buy an extended warranty with any product.

I am considering going online and seeing if there is a reasonably-priced alternative.

handyman
25-01-2005, 14:18
i was asking handyman how long it took him to change the tub on a hotpoint.

On a older 95 series hotpoint a full main bearing and seal job was about 20 mins, replacing the full tub would add around 20 mins max to take off the suspension and hoses and put a new tub in. (time might seem low but I design and had machined my own bearing removal tool that popped them out in seconds ;-) )

I cannot answer for the new ones that require the full tub taking out and replacing but I imagine this would be 30 mins max.

andy 1
25-01-2005, 14:26
thats some going handyman.
didn't you ever get any where the inner ball races had smashed to pieces and the outer race was a pig to get out.

gary_580
25-01-2005, 16:05
didn't you ever get any where the inner ball races had smashed to pieces and the outer race was a pig to get out.

Thats almost what happened to ours, except the bearings dropped out. I did get a bearing kit from hotpopint to fix it however on dismantling it i managed the get the inner ball race off but the outter ball race was pressed into the nylon outer drum and i couldnt get it out

iadom
25-01-2005, 17:20
By something called the law of averages that is to be expected, Hotpoint and Hoover did until recently sell over 60% of the washing machines sold in this country.

On a older 95 series hotpoint a full main bearing and seal job was about 20 mins, replacing the full tub would add around 20 mins max to take off the suspension and hoses and put a new tub in. (time might seem low but I design and had machined my own bearing removal tool that popped them out in seconds ;-) )

I cannot answer for the new ones that require the full tub taking out and replacing but I imagine this would be 30 mins max.

Bearing change approx 25 to 30 mins on 95 series, but only if the bearings had not collapsed. Drum change, 1 hour if everything goes to plan, remember that not only do you have to change the hoses and suspension but the motor and brackets, both upper and lower concrete balance weight. pressure chamber etc, plus if you are doing the job correctly do a full leak test.
Replacing the drum on the new WMA model range etc takes about 90 mins, again assuming all goes to plan. It is possible to change the bearings on these but I have had mixed results.
There has been a longstanding bearing problem on these machines ( by a strange coincidence, Bosch also suffered in exactly the same way ) the problem was due to the sealing arrangement. This has been altered and bearing failure is now not as prevalent.

Hotpoints labour charge is now a minimum of £89.00 but they have set maximum charges for drum changes etc, so time is imaterial.

Anyone who buys an extended warrenty is a fool. If you have £150 to spare put it in a bank account so that you get the interest and not the dealer.
The staff are on around 30% commission to sell the damned things, that should tell you all you need to know. Extended warrenties are one of the only 'insurance' products known were the premium is more than twice the average risk.

But then I only have just over 37 years experience, so what do I know.:rolleyes: :)

greencreeper
25-01-2005, 17:24
When you buy an extended warranty, you're not buying insurance cover for parts and/or labour - you're buying peace of mind. That's a much more difficult thing to put a price tag on.

Depending on the appliance, I usually take out a parts warranty, at least. Some appliances, such as fridges, if they don't breakdown inside a year, they're likely to last until you need a new one.

handyman
25-01-2005, 18:59

Yes but we had a tool adapted from the hotpoint kit, which was 2 halves that went into the race outer then a socket extention in the middle and a solid whack from a 1 kilo mallet and out it popped ;-)

cookie_365
25-01-2005, 19:23
So can anyone in the know recommend a washer dryer for light use for less than £350 ?

Me thinking of Indesit but not sure at the mo

Chimaera
25-01-2005, 19:44
Well I wouldn't get another washer/dryer! Sorry to be so pessimistic, but every time mine went wrong the various engineers always said (without prompting!) that the combined models were always more trouble than the seperate items. I've tried to make do with just a washing machine since my combo packed up totally, I've now decided to re-arrange my tiny kitchen again to accommodate a tumble dryer (last time was to fit in the dishwasher - yes I am a lazy cow!) Could you have the two machines stacked instead of a combined one?

iadom
25-01-2005, 19:53
So can anyone in the know recommend a washer dryer for light use for less than £350 ?

Me thinking of Indesit but not sure at the mo
I have never been a fan of standard sized washer dryers, too much crammed in the same cabinet, the same motor and pump running throughout the washing & drying cycle causing greater wear and tear.
Definately not for a family, however if you are only going to give it light use, ie; 4 to 5 loads a week then you would possibly get away with an Indesit machine. As their parent company Merloni now control Hotpoint the Indesit machines come with the same 5 years parts G/tee that the Hotpoint brand has had for almost 25 years. This also makes spares availability much better.

One thing to remember is that although you can wash a full load in a washer dryer you can only wash & dry a half load.

As Chim says, if you can in any way fit both a washer & dryer then I would always advise you to spend the extra for the reliability and time saving of separate machines.

gary_580
25-01-2005, 20:00
they're likely to last until you need a new one.

:D :D have a degree in stating the obvious ;) :D :D

(last time was to fit in the dishwasher - yes I am a lazy cow!)

You make him sleep in the kitchen :Yikes:

iadom
25-01-2005, 20:02

:Yikes:

nice one, :D its like the women who say to me, " it always breaks down when I am using it" :)

Chimaera
25-01-2005, 20:31
You make him sleep in the kitchen :Yikes:
Well it's an improvement from the dog kennel? :shrug: :D

greencreeper
25-01-2005, 23:41
Nope :no:

Since when did your other half buy stuff because it needed replacing? Primary reasons for purchasing new stuff are (a) therapy; (b) new decor; (c) seeing next door with a Comet van.

cookie_365
26-01-2005, 19:01
Ta for the replies

Could you have the two machines stacked instead of a combined one?

Nope, upstairs flat - floor won't take it. Of course, the floor might not take a combination machine either. But that's a risk I'm sure my downstairs neighbours'll be happy to take. ! ;)

And the kitchen's too small for separates. Can hardly get in through the door as it is :)

if you are only going to give it light use, ie; 4 to 5 loads a week then you would possibly get away with an Indesit machine

That'll be about the level of use I'll need. And if it breaks down, well, it's an excuse to go and buy a shiny new machine (I'm the credit card generation ....:erm: )

I think I'll go for Indesit then - now to find someone who'll deliver upstairs !

Chimaera
26-01-2005, 19:36
Nope :no:

Since when did your other half buy stuff because it needed replacing? Primary reasons for purchasing new stuff are (a) therapy; (b) new decor; (c) seeing next door with a Comet van.
Well I only buy stuff when I need it - mainly cos I have to pay for it myself...... :cry:
And speaking of which, I'm looking at buying a tumble dryer - the one I like seems to come in many disguises!! It's known as the Indesit IS70C, the Proline TDC7A and the Hotpoint CDT00T among others! It may not be a Miele but I can afford it (whichever badge I decide on) so has anyone got any horror stories about it (other than it's an Indesit / Proline / Hotpoint?)

SMHarman
01-02-2005, 11:29
Ta for the replies

Nope, upstairs flat - floor won't take it. Of course, the floor might not take a combination machine either. But that's a risk I'm sure my downstairs neighbours'll be happy to take. ! ;)

And the kitchen's too small for separates. Can hardly get in through the door as it is :)
Does a pair really add that much weight? Dryers weigh very little (condenser dryers may weigh more).

iadom
01-02-2005, 11:36
Does a pair really add that much weight? Dryers weigh very little (condenser dryers may weigh more).
As a rough guide, current Hotpoint model weights
Washing machine.65.5 kg
Tumble dryer (vented) 35 kg
Tumble dryer (condensor) 41.2 kg
Washer dryer 66.5 kg

greencreeper
01-02-2005, 18:01
A top 10 washing machine manufacturers list would be handy. Not seen any of them Miele ones yet, though I think I spotted a very pricey vac made by them.

greencreeper
10-03-2005, 00:31
I've bought a new washer:

http://www.clearance-comet.co.uk/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?&prmenbr=37087214&aunbr=58457887

It came yesterday. £261 plus £30 delivery. Comes with 5 year parts guarantee. Had to connect it myself - my mate helped but it nearly killed me. Damn heavy things. Taps had seized open too, so fair bit of water :D

iadom
13-10-2005, 20:25
'PROJECT X' is coming .

littld
14-10-2005, 13:01
I was advised by a repair guy to avoid machines which spin above 1200 as they wear out more quickly.

Just replaced our Zanussi which packed in after 4 years. It was a 1400 spin. Got a new one at 1200. Also, avoided computerised controls as had nothing but trouble with them.

handyman
14-10-2005, 14:11
I was advised by a repair guy to avoid machines which spin above 1200 as they wear out more quickly.

Just replaced our Zanussi which packed in after 4 years. It was a 1400 spin. Got a new one at 1200. Also, avoided computerised controls as had nothing but trouble with them.

Avoid 1200 rpm machines? Thats dubious advice to say the least.:erm:

We have a 10 year old miele 1600 rpm that begs to differ.

iadom
14-10-2005, 16:46
Virtually impossible to avoid computerised controls. Even if the machine has a rotating control knob, it will in 95% of cases be almost completely computer controlled under the skin. Now Project X is different in that, and many other aspects.;)

etccarmageddon
14-10-2005, 16:48
'PROJECT X' is coming .what are you talking about? project x? it's a bloody washing machine!!! :p:

Nidge
16-10-2005, 06:28
A lad who I know has one of them Dyson washing machines, he's had it 5 years and it's never failed him, it's got 2 drums that turn the opposite way to each other creating a better wash, it's the dogs dangley bits. He got a 5 year warranty with it with the option to extend it for another 5 years for the sum of £150.

Angua
16-10-2005, 09:10
My Mum had one of the first front loading automatics (had to have a special concrete base put in) it was a Bendix and lasted donkeys years.

Having said that one of our local repair shops which also sells new and reconditioned machines would not touch either Hoover or Hotpoint with a barge pole. Sold us a reconditioned Servis which lasted five years. I am now on a second hand Bosch (a model not available in the uk) that I got for free so, whatever happens I am quids in. :D

BTW Got a manufacturers warranty on Nef Oven, hob and hood for £89 for 5 years (the way I go through ovens I need the peace of mind).:cool:

iadom
16-10-2005, 10:19
A lad who I know has one of them Dyson washing machines, he's had it 5 years and it's never failed him, it's got 2 drums that turn the opposite way to each other creating a better wash, it's the dogs dangley bits. He got a 5 year warranty with it with the option to extend it for another 5 years for the sum of £150.
He will soon be running into difficulties, Dyson have ceased production of a very overated, overpriced, oversized, evil looking machine. Independent tests have shown that the dual drum had only a miniscule effect on performance when measured against other manufacturers AAA rated machines available at £300 to £400 less than the Dyson.

etccarmageddon
16-10-2005, 11:32
my new bosch which we've had for 6 months is amazing (based on the advice here I purchased one made in germany) - we chuck in dog sheets and all such crap and it never fails.

lippy
16-10-2005, 13:46
Does anyone know what Beko washing machines are like?

My last machine was a Hoover and the safety lock on the door burnt out, fixed it myself but now it's leaking from the drum.

Angua
16-10-2005, 14:17
Does anyone know what Beko washing machines are like?

My last machine was a Hoover and the safety lock on the door burnt out, fixed it myself but now it's leaking from the drum.

Neighbour has just bought one and so far seems very happy with it!

iadom
16-10-2005, 15:49
Beko = Turkish made low end of the market goods, along with the Korean made LG, they suffer from a very long supply line when parts are required. One of these days people will wake up to the fact that, 'YOU ONLY GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR'. Although it has been put back the WEEE waste directive is due to come into force very soon, then all the makers of cheap tat ( 50% of the market ) will find themselves having to include the cost of recycling their rubbish machines in the list price. Will that make them produce a better machine, time will tell but we only have ourselves to blame. If washing machines had increased in price in line with say cars, then a decent basic washer would now be costing you around £750 to £800.

Chimaera
16-10-2005, 17:44
Thanks for that iadom! :tu:

So now I'm thinking of a new dishwasher, my Hoover is on it's last legs, so I'm on the lookout for a new one. Anything to go for or avoid like the plague? I've only ever had a Hoover so any comments on any other brands would be appreciated. :D

andygrif
16-10-2005, 17:52
Beko = Turkish made low end of the market goods, along with the Korean made LG, they suffer from a very long supply line when parts are required. One of these days people will wake up to the fact that, 'YOU ONLY GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR'. Although it has been put back the WEEE waste directive is due to come into force very soon, then all the makers of cheap tat ( 50% of the market ) will find themselves having to include the cost of recycling their rubbish machines in the list price. Will that make them produce a better machine, time will tell but we only have ourselves to blame. If washing machines had increased in price in line with say cars, then a decent basic washer would now be costing you around £750 to £800.

Cars cost less now (as a percentage of income) than they ever have.

Also (and I guess I can say this as an owner of a Miele washing machine) there's nothing wrong with a 150 quid Beko unit if that's your budget. It might only last two years, but it is cheaper to throw it away and buy a new one than having it repaired.

Also, I wouldn't slag off LG gear...sure it's not the best, but it's got a reasonably good name for half decent products at a half decent price. They are also one of the largest consumer electronics companies in the world, so they can't be THAT bad!

Angua
16-10-2005, 17:59
I can recommend a Bosch Dishwasher

Mines 5 years old and still going strong.

iadom
16-10-2005, 18:36

Also (and I guess I can say this as an owner of a Miele washing machine) there's nothing wrong with a 150 quid Beko unit if that's your budget. It might only last two years, but it is cheaper to throw it away and buy a new one than having it repaired.

Also, I wouldn't slag off LG gear...sure it's not the best, but it's got a reasonably good name for half decent products at a half decent price. They are also one of the largest consumer electronics companies in the world, so they can't be THAT bad!

Pardon me for having an opinion, but then I have only been in the trade 36 years. :p: As for LG being any good tell that to the customer I went to last week with a 2 year old LG that had suffered a main drum support failure, that the machine was BER ( beyond economic repair )and was not a real cheapo. I advised her to buy a Bosch which she did. Buy a cheap washer at £200 that lasts 2 years, cost after ten years £1000 plus a far greater amount of breakdowns, buy a good quality machine at £400 to £500 and get 10 to 15 years of far more reliable service. The 'its cheaper to throw it away' attitude is one of the root causes of the poor quality on sale today. The WEE directive cannot come soon enough.

Wicked_and_Crazy
16-10-2005, 19:29
Also (and I guess I can say this as an owner of a Miele washing machine)

hmmm Miele washing machines, arent they cold fill??? i have hot water in my tank that im not using at night so seems a good idea to use it in an economy 7 wash!

Did you buy it from John Lewis?

iadom
16-10-2005, 22:04
hmmm Miele washing machines, arent they cold fill??? i have hot water in my tank that im not using at night so seems a good idea to use it in an economy 7 wash!

You will find that most machines on the market now are cold fill only, they regulate the water intake far better than earlier machines and you need a slow rise in temperature for the modern detergents to work to maximum efficiency.

handyman
16-10-2005, 22:08
If you have the space I'd reccomend a whirlpool american style cold fill top loader. If not a miele is a close 2nd.

iadom
16-10-2005, 22:22

Sorry that I didn't reply to this part of your post earlier, I am well aware that with the exception of house prices, most things are cheaper in relative terms as a percentage of income. If you had read my post carefully you would have understood what I was saying. The reason I chose cars & washing machines for my anology was because they are both 'old' technology when compared to computers, DVD recorders etc. Fifteen or twenty years ago, a 1000 rpm spin, basic washer would have cost you around £300 or more. Today you can buy a 1600 rpm spin, basic machine for £199. The only way you can do this is by reducing production costs, or reducing the quality. In most cases the major manfacturers have chosen the latter option, helped along by the 'sheds', Comet, Currys, et al. So I will reverse my analogy and say that if cars had changed in price like washing machines over the last 15 to 20 years, a basic Mondeo would now be costing you around £6000 new. The sad fact is that whilst cars are more reliable today than they have ever been, the same cannot be said for your average, £200, Italian, Spanish, Turkish, Korean, Chinese pile of junk washing machine.

NB. Miele are, I would say the best machine on the market today, but what I said earlier holds true, you only get what you pay for, and Miele are very expensive to buy. They do have a 10 year warranty but you must treat them with care. A customer of a colleague of mine accidentally damaged the door seal on her Miele washer/dryer last week, cost of replacement door seal £156 :shocked: . Cost of door seal for most washer/dryers on the market is between £25 & £45.

SMHarman
17-10-2005, 10:21
If you have the space I'd reccomend a whirlpool american style cold fill top loader. If not a miele is a close 2nd.But the US market is moving to front loaders. Which are better or does in not make any difference?

Did you buy it from John Lewis?But the electricity in you entire house is on E7 at night so your washing machine will heat the water and run on E7 power.

andygrif
17-10-2005, 10:50
Pardon me for having an opinion, but then I have only been in the trade 36 years. :p: As for LG being any good tell that to the customer I went to last week with a 2 year old LG that had suffered a main drum support failure, that the machine was BER ( beyond economic repair )and was not a real cheapo. I advised her to buy a Bosch which she did. Buy a cheap washer at £200 that lasts 2 years, cost after ten years £1000 plus a far greater amount of breakdowns, buy a good quality machine at £400 to £500 and get 10 to 15 years of far more reliable service. The 'its cheaper to throw it away' attitude is one of the root causes of the poor quality on sale today. The WEE directive cannot come soon enough.

I'm not knocking your knowlegde, experience or opinion - but no company becomes one of the biggest by only producing rubbish, it's basic economics and marketing. My mother has a Goldstar telly (which as you know became LG) which has been going strong for about 15 years I would guess, so they can't be THAT bad!

And yes, on the basis that buying a 200 quid washer means that it will break down every two year (which it obviously would not) then you would spend £1000 after ten years - about the same as a Miele, which are tested to last 10 years too. Personally I'd rather have the Miele for the reasons you said, but some people simply cannot afford that much upfront, which is why there is a range of brands and qualities available - again, basic marketing and economics.

Yes and yes! But it's soooooo quiet!

Sorry that I didn't reply to this part of your post earlier, I am well aware that with the exception of house prices, most things are cheaper in relative terms as a percentage of income. If you had read my post carefully you would have understood what I was saying. The reason I chose cars & washing machines for my anology was because they are both 'old' technology when compared to computers, DVD recorders etc. Fifteen or twenty years ago, a 1000 rpm spin, basic washer would have cost you around £300 or more. Today you can buy a 1600 rpm spin, basic machine for £199. The only way you can do this is by reducing production costs, or reducing the quality. In most cases the major manfacturers have chosen the latter option, helped along by the 'sheds', Comet, Currys, et al. So I will reverse my analogy and say that if cars had changed in price like washing machines over the last 15 to 20 years, a basic Mondeo would now be costing you around £6000 new.

Point taken :)

But the US market is moving to front loaders. Which are better or does in not make any difference?

My mother used to swear by her toploader when I was a kid...mind you, my grandmother used to swear by her twin-tub. I'm sure somone will know for sure, but I would think by their nature the toploaders are less abusive to your clothes, and of course better for people with bad backs!

iadom
17-10-2005, 11:22
But the US market is moving to front loaders. Which are better or does in not make any difference?
It depends on wether ot not you are on a water meter. The top loader requires far more water for a wash than a front loader, however the stress on front loader bearings and suspension is far greater than on the top loader.

I'm not knocking your knowlegde, experience or opinion - but no company becomes one of the biggest by only producing rubbish, it's basic economics and marketing. My mother has a Goldstar telly (which as you know became LG) which has been going strong for about 15 years I would guess, so they can't be THAT bad!

I will quote you a reply I got from a colleague who has been in the trade for almost 40 years, his firm employ 15 engineers doing a large amount of contract work, including LG appliances. I was asking him his opinion on the LG machines.

"On these the weights come loose, the suspension legs have been upgraded and the pump although £43.00 to buy trade is little more than a £3.50 askol. On top of that the suspension pins come out of the units and they do suffer from vibration unless the load is perfect.

other than that they are mediocre "

The increase in many manufacturers machines under 2 years old that are BER'd has increased dramatically in the past couple of years.

handyman
17-10-2005, 11:39
And yes, on the basis that buying a 200 quid washer means that it will break down every two year

When I repaired washers we saw many many indesit cheapo £200 washers break down and be un ecomonical to repair after 14 months. So not only do you have the poor wash performance of them they are going to need replacing all the time.

about the same as a Miele, which are tested to last 10 years too.

Miele washing machines are designed and tested for 5,000 wash cycles - that's a life of 15 to 20 years at an average of 5 washes a week. :eek:

just look at the other features...

direct enamel casing that won't chip, flake, scratch, yellow or corrode
drum axle which is as strong as that found on a prestige motor car
unbreakable cast iron cradle that stabilises the machine and will never crumble as a concrete block can
chrome porthole door and metal door catch that is designed to be opened and shut 60,000 times

How many door catch's and door buttons and door rims have you been out to iadom? I dropped a bottle of beer on one the other day and it bounced off the rim not even scratching it, that would have smashed a hotpoint one.

andygrif
17-10-2005, 11:44
I will quote you a reply I got from a colleague who has been in the trade for almost 40 years, his firm employ 15 engineers doing a large amount of contract work, including LG appliances. I was asking him his opinion on the LG machines.

"On these the weights come loose, the suspension legs have been upgraded and the pump although £43.00 to buy trade is little more than a £3.50 askol. On top of that the suspension pins come out of the units and they do suffer from vibration unless the load is perfect.

other than that they are mediocre "

The increase in many manufacturers machines under 2 years old that are BER'd has increased dramatically in the past couple of years.

I'm not trying to be difficult here (no really, I'm not!) but I don't understand if you're supporting my argument or countering it!

So your colleague suggests one fault (presumably not evident on ALL LG machines, and certainly not TV's ;) ) but apart from that there are mediocre, which means they are average. But so is the price. And every manufacturer places large mark-ups on spares, which is how they are able to offer machines at such a low price in the first place.

If I could get an LG machine for 200 quid and it was warrantied for two years, I'd be happy. As I said before, I'm not saying they're great, but I am saying there is as valid a place in the market for a Beko or LG as there is for a Bosch or Miele.

When I repaired washers we saw many many indesit cheapo £200 washers break down and be un ecomonical to repair after 14 months. So not only do you have the poor wash performance of them they are going to need replacing all the time.

Whilst I of course bow the superior knowledge of household appliance experts on hand here...both of you are only seeing this from the point of view of repairing them. You don't get to see thousands of cheap machines that DO NOT go wrong within two years.

The name you suggested there I can offer some real-world experience of. My first washing machine was a cheap and cheerful Indesit unit. I had it for 9 years and it NEVER went wrong. In the end the vibration caused the screws holding the front panel on to sheer, and then we bought the Miele. But I paid less than 200 quid for that back in 1992 and I'd say that's pretty good value to me. If my 800 quid Miele lasts that long I'll be happy too.

Miele washing machines are designed and tested for 5,000 wash cycles - that's a life of 15 to 20 years at an average of 5 washes a week. :eek:

Ah yes, there are the REALLY expensive ones that have a ten year warranty. Mine was the cheaper one (800 quid?!?!?!?) and it (according to the John Lewis chappy) is tested to last 10 years and has a two year warranty.

handyman
17-10-2005, 12:06
I cannot see the logic in buying a mediocre washer for £200 with sub standard wash performance and water ecomomy with a 2 year life when for £441 you can have a AA washer with a 20 year life? Miele 500 (http://www.coopelectricalshop.co.uk/products/ProductDetail.asp?ProductCode=MIE-WSH-PREMIER500-W&source=PANGOR)

[edit] all the Meile washing machines are designed to 5000 wash cycles not just the expensive ones. As for Indesit the older machines where great, solid built and had good longevity. The new cheaper ones are crap and the chassis folds under its own weight in many cases. Contrast this to the Miele which makes me fold under its weight :p:

Is this (http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/49_176664.html) your machine andy?

iadom
17-10-2005, 12:19
The name you suggested there I can offer some real-world experience of. My first washing machine was a cheap and cheerful Indesit unit.

For 'cheap and cheerful' you now need to substitute 'cheap and nasty' for a good many machines on the market today, that includes all £200 appliances. The real problem arises because the manufacturers then charge a riduculous price for the spares. On some of the latest Indesit machines costing circa £200, the motor costs £110 and the notoriously unreliable electronic control module costs £100. It also has a one piece welded plastic outer drum. There is no provision to do any repairs on the bearings, inner drum etc. Any fault requires a complete drum replacement, cost of drum £150, add on a reasonable labour charge and you can soon see why so many machines are scrapped within 2 years. From that you will understand why most of the trade inserts a letter 'h' between the 5th & 6th letters of the companies name.

lippy
17-10-2005, 12:24
I can understand both points,take your chance with cheap stuff or pay for reliability.

I tend to go for cheaper makes when it comes to certain goods.Some of them perform very well.

A friend bought a top brand american style fridgefreezer for £800,it broke down after 13 months.
My £200 LEC is going strong after 6 years.

You don't always get what you pay for,i know that from car tyres when i was a mechanic and tools/paint no i'm doing building work!

Maybe what i should have asked is what are the best of the cheaper makes?

iadom
17-10-2005, 12:39
I can understand both points,take your chance with cheap stuff or pay for reliability.

I tend to go for cheaper makes when it comes to certain goods.Some of them perform very well.

A friend bought a top brand american style fridgefreezer for £800,it broke down after 13 months.
My £200 LEC is going strong after 6 years.

You don't always get what you pay for,i know that from car tyres when i was a mechanic and tools/paint no i'm doing building work!

Maybe what i should have asked is what are the best of the cheaper makes?
There are always exceptions to any rule, we all know of the heavy smoker who can tell us about a relative who lived to be 100 on 60 fags a day, but it doesn't convince me to start smoking. You may get an occasional lemon even if you pay a decent price for it. You are far more likely to get a pile of junk if you pay £200 for a washing machine. look to spend £375 to £450 if you can possibly afford it, for a Bosch or similar which includes a full 2 year g/tee.

Wicked_and_Crazy
17-10-2005, 12:48
But the electricity in you entire house is on E7 at night so your washing machine will heat the water and run on E7 power.

But if i have a tank of hot water that was heated by gas and will cool slightly overnight why not use that water rather than heat some more

orangebird
17-10-2005, 12:48
I'd go for Siemens/Bosch. I have a Siemens branded washing machine and it's fab.

As for LG - I have a Goldstar TV, still going well, an LG microwave, 4 years old, still as new, and a LG dvd/video combi - absolutely fine. LG are great IMO. :tu:

Wicked_and_Crazy
17-10-2005, 12:50
Yes and yes! But it's soooooo quiet!

i expected so, i know someone who works for John Lewis and they SERIOUSLY push Miele machines.

I wonder why that is? profit margin maybe ;)

orangebird
17-10-2005, 12:50
But if i have a tank of hot water that was heated by gas and will cool slightly overnight why not use that water rather than heat some more

?? Why would it cool slightly overnight? It'll remain the same temp until you use it......

Cold fill are great. You never have to worry about not having hot water to do a wash, or about the washing machine taking all the hot water when you need a bath etc....

andygrif
17-10-2005, 13:02
I cannot see the logic in buying a mediocre washer for £200 with sub standard wash performance and water ecomomy with a 2 year life when for £441 you can have a AA washer with a 20 year life? Miele 500 (http://www.coopelectricalshop.co.uk/products/ProductDetail.asp?ProductCode=MIE-WSH-PREMIER500-W&source=PANGOR)

The point is that there are millions of people in this country that simply cannot afford 441 quid. There are also lots of people who don't need 5 washes a week - that's why I bought my Indesit in 1992, I was a young single bloke with lots of clothes and probably did one wash every other week or so. Aside from the fact that I had to buy everything else for the house in 1992 as well, I simply didn't have disposably cash to fork out for expensive kit back then. Over the years, I've become older, richer, paired-up and have replaced old and worn out kit with higher end stuff.

Maybe I've been lucky, but I took the old fridge-freezer from my sister (which was also an Indesit) that they bought SECOND HAND about ten years before I got and it lasted another ten years for me before various bits fell off it. Technically it was still perfect, it was cheap when new, and lasted at least 20 years and still worked at the end. Now I've got a big American job, and that's fine too.

The old tumble drier I had was slightly less good. I paid about 100 quid for it, it was some no-name unit. That only lasted me seven years before a strange burning smell came out of it, and I upgraded it. But 100 quid for seven years isn't bad.

Is this (http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/49_176664.html) your machine andy?

No, it's a few years old now, doesn't have a digital display. I couldn't tell you the model number without looking at it I'm afraid.

For 'cheap and cheerful' you now need to substitute 'cheap and nasty' for a good many machines on the market today, that includes all £200 appliances.

You might be right, but I would hazard an educated guess that whilst there might be a lot more appliances chucked that are less than two years old now, comparted to the good old days, I would still suggest that the vast majority of all 200 quid machines are NOT scrapped in this time frame.

From that you will understand why most of the trade inserts a letter 'h' between the 5th & 6th letters of the companies name.

:LOL: I like it

i expected so, i know someone who works for John Lewis and they SERIOUSLY push Miele machines.

I wonder why that is? profit margin maybe ;)

No, John Lewis sales staff are not comissioned in the same way as Currys and Comet et al. That's why I shop there for this kind of stuff - they price match any other store, the staff actually know what they are selling and there's no pressure at all.

I guess they recommend them as they are the best, and as has been pointed out, it does out cheaper to own one of these with a ten year warranty than it does to replace a cheapy every couple of years. But I wouldn't say they pushed us into picking a Miele, he was equally complimentary about Bosch and Siemens.

We did end up spending more than we wanted to (a couple of hundred more) but if you can be happy with a washing machine, we are! Although we're moving house next month, and the sheer weight of this beast is unbelivable, so we may regret it a little then.

orangebird
17-10-2005, 13:06
This (http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/49_226360.html) is mine - except I got mine for £499 including 5 years warranty :D

SMHarman
17-10-2005, 13:32
But if i have a tank of hot water that was heated by gas and will cool slightly overnight why not use that water rather than heat some more?? Why would it cool slightly overnight? It'll remain the same temp until you use it......

Cold fill are great. You never have to worry about not having hot water to do a wash, or about the washing machine taking all the hot water when you need a bath etc....
Cold fill also has the benefit that the water going into the machine is clean, keeping your whites whiter. Heating / HW is not clean drinking quality water after it has been through the HW/CH system.

Surely also a cold fill will benefit you as you will have more HW for using as HW for washing you hands, body, dishes that will have been heated on E7 power.

monkey2468
17-10-2005, 13:34
This is the one ive got. http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/49_265624.html
I chose this brand as my mam had one for nearly 20 years.
Its seams really good quality, and quite.

handyman
17-10-2005, 14:05

However as IADOM mentioned modern washing powders work much better if slowly heated to the washing temperature and you get a much better wash. Plus the are very efficient at it. Our miele completes a 40 non colour fast cotton wash in 31 mins start to finish including heating from cold.

Cold fill also has the benefit that the water going into the machine is clean, keeping your whites whiter. Heating / HW is not clean drinking quality water after it has been through the HW/CH system.

Surely also a cold fill will benefit you as you will have more HW for using as HW for washing you hands, body, dishes that will have been heated on E7 power.

You can convert any hot fill machine to cold fill by feeding it 2 cold supplies.

fudge
17-10-2005, 17:16
Just bought a hotpoint after my beko concrete weight snaped off , after 18 months. Got hotpoint from tescos after finding it on there web site. Free delivery , Free connection , and they take your old one away Free. Ordered it on a sunday night and was installed on the wednesday morning

andygrif
17-10-2005, 17:32
You can convert any hot fill machine to cold fill by feeding it 2 cold supplies.

Is it not possible to just connect the cold (i.e. purposefully not connect the hot) or would that not work?

Just curious, doesn't matter to me as mine is cold only!

iadom
17-10-2005, 17:51
I'd go for Siemens/Bosch. I have a Siemens branded washing machine and it's fab.

As for LG - I have a Goldstar TV, still going well, an LG microwave, 4 years old, still as new, and a LG dvd/video combi - absolutely fine. LG are great IMO. :tu:
Siemens/Bosch/Neff (same firm, just charge more for the Siemens name on virtually the same product ) are just below Miele in terms of quality and considering the price of machines now and twenty years ago represent very good value for money, unless it is a Bosch made at the old Balay factory in Spain, not the same quality by a long way. The thing about a washing machine as opposed to TV's DVD players and even microwaves is that they do not suffer from the same use, misuse and general abuse that most washing machines get, by under/overloading, incorrect use of detergents and wash cycles, leaving coins, bra wires, penknifes, tweezers, pens, watches, necklaces, false teeth, dog leads, table cutlery, bottle openers, etc, etc in the washing. The more expensive and robust machines will handle this abuse far better than the £200 tin can. Last month I had an 18 month old Indesit with a stainless steel outer drum, ( as thin as tissue paper ) that had been sliced open like a sardine tin by a 10p coin, totally unrepairable at a cost of around £50 more than it cost new.:(

PS. I have pulled all those things and more ;) from the inside of customers appliances

Is it not possible to just connect the cold (i.e. purposefully not connect the hot) or would that not work?

Just curious, doesn't matter to me as mine is cold only!
No, because if the machine is recent (last ten years) mixed fill machine the the water is routed into the correct side of the drawer, using the hot fill valve to flush the detergent in, also some machines 'sense' the incoming water temp and switch the cold on and off to compensate if the incoming hot supply is to hot for the programme selected.