PDA

View Full Version : Failure in authenticating new NTL 2meg Cable Broadband - pls help if you can

Jangola
21-09-2005, 00:04
Hi, I just found these forums by doing a search online and thought i'd post here in the vain hope that someone might be able to help me.

I had an NTL cable modem installed today (not set-top box), and I can't get past the stage where i enter my PIN number and surname etc. Every time it comes up with a msg saying there was an error.

I'm fairly good with PC's and built this one, but i'm not too good with internet stuff.

I've spent the whole day on the phone with various people at NTL, and i've tried everything they've suggested, to no avail. The weird thing is that the pc is recognising the connection, as I get to the authentication stage, and I get a valid IP address when i cmd *ipconfig*.

The problem seems to be that i can't access the secure authentication site that they told me to try, 80.5.178.26 - it gives me the secure site warning but then doesn't load the page.

I've tried this on two completely separate PC's, and they both get the same problem, so i'm doubtful that it's anything to do with my set ups. NTL suggested changing my internet security settings, which i tried. They were going to send out an engineer but i got cut off, and then the next person i spoke to said that the problem was my winsock files, which he was sure were corrupt.

I'm certain that both my pc's (one brand new clean install and the other a few years old) don't have exactly the same corrupt files on them preventing access to the secure authentication server, but i tried a winsock fix tool anyway to make sure.

Both PC's ethernet and other internet security settings are just fine, because they work perfectly with my old ISP Demon, which i haven't cancelled yet. Both don't have any demon software on them, they are just ethernetted into a BB modem/router that a third PC uses. So i'm am 99% sure it isn't my PC's or their settings.

Anyway, i'm totally totally lost at what to do next, and am sick of spending hours and hours trying the same things over and over. If anyone has any helpful tips or solutions pls let me know, and sorry about the long post. :(

Edit: just forgot to say, no i don't have both NTL and Demon connections plugged in at the same time. I find it a bit suspicous that both pcs have the same problem tho....

MovedGoalPosts
21-09-2005, 00:16
:welcome: to Cable Forum :D

I'm not sure I can help specifically, but no doubt someone on here can.

A couple of issues of clarification:
Are you connecting direct between a PC and the modem, no router? If a router is present, get rid of it for now so that a connection can be proven direct between modem and PC.
Are you using ethernet not USB
Are your network connections and internet explorer settings all set to the "automatically detect" options?

BTW the IP address you give for authentication works from here

Jangola
21-09-2005, 01:02
Thanks for replying

(1) Direct, no router
(2) Ethernet, not USB
(3) Have tried both automatically detect and non-auto detect

I'm sure there's clear communication between the modem and the pc, cos it actually gets to the authentication bit, which is after it contacts NTL for updates to the installer - also, when i try and manually access the authentication page, it comes up with the secure msg thing.

MovedGoalPosts
21-09-2005, 01:08
Very odd, I'm pointing the finger at your own PC configuration, simply to rule it all out. You have no firewall or other stuff runing that might interfere?

When you have tried different PCs, you have switched off (full power off) the modem, and PC, rerouted the cable, switched on the modem, let that settle, then switched on only the connected PC (no other PC is connected).?

Mick
21-09-2005, 02:19
Hi Jangola,

Check to see if Javascript is enabled on your browser.

Paul (UK)
21-09-2005, 06:04
Hi

I'm having the exact same problem, been sitting at the PC since 5.30pm yesterday, it's now 6.00am lol

When I phoned Tech Support they basically said the same but they also told me that I could Ping IP but couldn't Ping URL. The Tech could communicate with my PC but I couldn't communite to his end. So that's 3 PC with the same problem. I'm using Windows XP Home

Neil
21-09-2005, 08:19
Any firewalls?

Bill C
21-09-2005, 08:21
Hi

I'm having the exact same problem, been sitting at the PC since 5.30pm yesterday, it's now 6.00am lol

When I phoned Tech Support they basically said the same but they also told me that I could Ping IP but couldn't Ping URL. The Tech could communicate with my PC but I couldn't communite to his end. So that's 3 PC with the same problem. I'm using Windows XP Home

Long night :Yikes:

Jangola
21-09-2005, 14:49
Hi, thanks for replies again,

(1) No firewalls running at the time
(2) Java enabled

Sherbert
21-09-2005, 18:01
The original posting sounds a carbon copy of my own experience at the moment.
--- on the phone with various people at NTL, and i've tried everything they've suggested, to no avail. The weird thing is that the pc is recognising the connection, as I get to the authentication stage, and I get a valid IP address when i cmd *ipconfig*.

The problem seems to be that i can't access the secure authentication site that they told me to try, 80.5.178.26 - it gives me the secure site warning but then doesn't load the page.----

I have a:
New NTL :250 Cable box replacing an NTL Pace STB
No router, ethernet connection, no firewall, checked numerous .dlls
Cleared History, Cookies and temp files.
Put https://autoreg.autoregister.net into trusted site

I can ping 62.253.162.30 but not 80.5.178.26

I have spoken to NTL on 17 Sept and 19 Sept and spent some time last night checking everything again - Modem lights, connections, absence of firewall, etc

:confused: Well what's next?? Is it possible for the NTL crew to manually assign the MAC address??

I must admit that I am already thinking of trying a different supplier even though NTL offer a good product. ADSL doesn't appeal.

KevAmiga
21-09-2005, 19:24
Hi there.

80.5.178.26 doesnt reply to pings.

Check that you have no proxy server's listed in Internet options > Connections > Lan Settings.

Make sure browser is set to never dial a connection...

Make sure no firewalls / sec software is affecting.

Also, try rebooting modem / PC. Then put 192.168.100.1 in the browser. What do you get?

JohnHorb
21-09-2005, 21:53
According to the server status page (link below), the registration service was due to be down Tuesday a.m. Perhaps it's still down?

Paul (UK)
21-09-2005, 22:57
Got mine sorted this morning. After speaking to 4 Tech Support blokes and 3 Customer Service people. finally found out there was a server problem

Sherbert
22-09-2005, 14:04
Many thanks for all the useful suggestions.

I pleaded severe ignorance :dunce: and the Windows Support Engineer from work has been and looked at my set-up. He banged away on the keys and came quickly to the conclusion that there is a problem with the server probably caused by the fact that I had a STB previously. This might mean that a MAC address is already allocated to me (from the STB) and why would I want another. NTL support said that they would log it as a problem to be dealt with in the next 12 hours.

I will report back - from my own PC I hope when I return from the :Sun: on Sunday.

Sherbert
26-09-2005, 17:59
Hi,
Well I am reporting back as promised. The last phone call on Thursday seems to have had some effect as when I started the long business of getting online today at around 1700 I managed to jump further hurdles and after another call to NTL support because the checking mechanism on the setup disc reported a fault in finding TCP-IP ----I AM ONLINE.

What annoys me is that I am certain that the problem originated in admin errors in NTL. My long periods of waiting to contact them and the vain attempts of the good folk in India to help were really because of poor communication with in the company.

Thanks again to all who offered suggestions and encouragement.:cool:

homealone
26-09-2005, 18:08
Hi,
Well I am reporting back as promised. The last phone call on Thursday seems to have had some effect as when I started the long business of getting online today at around 1700 I managed to jump further hurdles and after another call to NTL support because the checking mechanism on the setup disc reported a fault in finding TCP-IP ----I AM ONLINE.

What annoys me is that I am certain that the problem originated in admin errors in NTL. My long periods of waiting to contact them and the vain attempts of the good folk in India to help were really because of poor communication with in the company.

Thanks again to all who offered suggestions and encouragement.:cool:

thanks for the feedback - glad you got it sorted, in the end :tu:

CSIRogers
27-09-2005, 15:27
I have this exact same problem so what do i do? Keep trying the server? Im confused!

Kirsty