PDA

View Full Version : NTL... The worst?! Oh Yes!

stuey82
20-09-2005, 20:49
Today NTL decided to suspend my service because I am 2 days late paying... Oops! Well, it happens to the best of us right?!

I spent from 1pm until 8pm trying to get through... I dialled 0800 013 1333 as I am a freedom customer (not for long I can tell you). I entered my home phone number and waited. Here are the waiting times:

1st Attempt: 61mins
2nd Attempt: 22mins
3rd Attempt: 10mins
Then tried Normal NTL number.... 0800 052 2000 and spoke to some thick Welsh bloke (before you comment, i'm Welsh myself) who didn't know if his manager was in, who didnt know how to transfer me to someone higher than him, who didnt know what the number was for ntl freedom and didn't probably know his name..... so I thought to myself ' I wont give in '...
4th Attempt: 35mins
5th Attempt: 42mins.... I think any sane person would of given up on the 3rd attempt!!

I decided after that there was no hope. Now, I am using a friends dial up service as NTL simply refuse to answer...

What do I do?! I want my service back on (broadband).... but no one's there. HELP!!!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Marge
20-09-2005, 21:09
"Normal" customer services wouldn't be able to help you with Freedom accounts I'm afraid, it is only the Freedom peeps that can touch them. Off the top of my head I can't remember the number but I'm 99.9% sure they are closed now anyway :(

Kliro
20-09-2005, 21:11
Try giving the normal number a ring again and tell them your problem?

Sounds like you got a bad guy, whenever I ring they manage to sort it all out for me, so I'd suggest that.

quadplay
20-09-2005, 21:14
Try ntl: Freedom Customer Services on 0870 445 0445 - they're open 8am-8pm Weekdays and 9am-6pm Weekends.

maverick
20-09-2005, 22:39
Today NTL decided to suspend my service because I am 2 days late paying... Oops! Well, it happens to the best of us right?!

I spent from 1pm until 8pm trying to get through... I dialled 0800 013 1333 as I am a freedom customer (not for long I can tell you). I entered my home phone number and waited. Here are the waiting times:

1st Attempt: 61mins
2nd Attempt: 22mins
3rd Attempt: 10mins
Then tried Normal NTL number.... 0800 052 2000 and spoke to some thick Welsh bloke (before you comment, i'm Welsh myself) who didn't know if his manager was in, who didnt know how to transfer me to someone higher than him, who didnt know what the number was for ntl freedom and didn't probably know his name..... so I thought to myself ' I wont give in '...
4th Attempt: 35mins
5th Attempt: 42mins.... I think any sane person would of given up on the 3rd attempt!!

I decided after that there was no hope. Now, I am using a friends dial up service as NTL simply refuse to answer...

What do I do?! I want my service back on (broadband).... but no one's there. HELP!!!!!

Sorry I feel I need to respond to this.

All these problem,s have arisen because:

1 you didn't pay your bill.
2 you tried to contact them on the wrong number.

And you say you spoke to a thick welsh bloke.

Seti
21-09-2005, 00:32
Maverick cut him a little slack. I phone the wrong number all the time too, but I agree he should have contacted freedom.

I had that situation happen to me MOSTLY on direct debit payments. They were either taken out too early or too late leaving me with fees from the bank, NTL did that 4 times in one month once but they did refund all my fees as it was their error and it was more than the bill. I am disabled so I dont' always pay them on the date specified in their letter. I now pay via pay point because of the inconsitency of NTL. I haven't had a problem with them since they decided the DID have a disabled policy, which no one could ever find, and that they are happy for me to pay fortnightly.

As for your problem Stu I suggest you get hold of Freedom as mentioned by Jimco above and go from there. Oh and don't call us Welsh people thick we hate it, even if you are Welsh.

Sian

MovedGoalPosts
21-09-2005, 01:03
Regardless of which number was called in the first instance, the waiting times for any answer, even if its" you have called the wrong number" is appalling.

On the other hand even if you have the wonr number, ntl is that massive a "communications" company" that a call should be able to be transferred to the correct department, without any need for a redial. Yet that I know is beyond ntl's systems at present.

Yes a bill wasn't paid on time, but to be unable to get through to discuss the options to reinstate the serivce, and pay the bill says that ntl don't want the customer.

Mick
21-09-2005, 02:33
Hi Stuey,

I your still having problems getting through - send me a private message with some details and I will forward them on to our ntl contact. Thanks.

Paul K
21-09-2005, 06:59
Regardless of which number was called in the first instance, the waiting times for any answer, even if its" you have called the wrong number" is appalling.
Erm I can confirm that at peak times BT suffer the same queue times, there was an average wait of 35 mins this afternoon on the main enquiry number. Sometimes no matter how hard you try to re-direct traffic to quieter call centers you cannot impact the queue time to any great significance especially if the customer has to be routed to a certain call center group to answer their query.

Bill C
21-09-2005, 07:12
Sorry I feel I need to respond to this.

All these problem,s have arisen because:

1 you didn't pay your bill.
2 you tried to contact them on the wrong number.

And you say you spoke to a thick welsh bloke.

I am with you on this one :tu:

stuey82
21-09-2005, 21:41
Clearly Bill and Maverick your comments are about as constructive as nothing. The bill is 2 days late....... 2 DAYS... Hardly much is it?! I have tried to set up DD's with NTL and it doesn't work. My friend is exactly the same and he has to call NTL every single month to pay his balance.

This problem has now been sorted and I am being disconnected in 10 days. I cannot wait to get back to BT and pay that extra £1 for AOL broadband. I am not prepared to use a service which is run by ADMIN EDIT (RUSS) - please do not use comments like that.

NTL is a communications company that doesn't communicate and it hasn't changed from the days when I worked there.

Thanks for the help and support from most... it's been greatly appreciated.

Russ
21-09-2005, 22:11
I agree that Bill and Maverick aren't being as sympathetic as they could - there could be a number of reason why a customer might miss a payment by 2 days, although I wasn't aware ntl take action so soon, I always thought it was a week or two. And let's bear in mind that according to the OP, it wasn't a case of him not paying his bill, he was just 2 days late.

Unless he has a history of non-payment I cannot see the need for a hostile attitude towards him.

Bill C
21-09-2005, 22:14
I agree that Bill and Maverick aren't being as sympathetic as they could - there could be a number of reason why a customer might miss a payment by 2 days, although I wasn't aware ntl take action so soon, I always thought it was a week or two. And let's bear in mind that according to the OP, it wasn't a case of him not paying his bill, he was just 2 days late.

Unless he has a history of non-payment I cannot see the need for a hostile attitude towards him.

So i take it your not happy with my post ? its not me calling people monkeys. And explain where i was hostile.

Russ
21-09-2005, 22:20
So i take it your not happy with my post ? its not me calling people monkeys

I'm not saying I'm not happy with the post, I just think you could be a little more sympathetic to him - we don't know the reasons behind his late payment and taking action after just 2 days is a little harsh in my opinion.

Bill C
21-09-2005, 22:24
I'm not saying I'm not happy with the post, I just think you could be a little more sympathetic to him - we don't know the reasons behind his late payment and taking action after just 2 days is a little harsh in my opinion.

It was not me that started the flame war. It was not me calling people thick. It was not me with the attitude. It was not me with the He don't know his own name crap. Please read my other post tonight. Well come back to the old days of the hate site

Russ
21-09-2005, 22:28
It was not me that started the flame war.

There's no flame war!

It was not me calling people thick.

The OP has obviously had a bad experience with someone who (it appears) could not do his job properly.

It was not me with the attitude.

The only thing I said was I thought you could have been less hostile - I apologise if that's the wrong word but it didn't look as if you were being sympathetic to his situation

It was not me with the He don't know his own name crap. Please read my other post tonight. Well come back to the old days of the hate site

No, I disagree, this is no longer a hate site but if someone has had bad experiences with ntl then they can post about them here and ask for help.

marky
21-09-2005, 22:34
From personal experiance, ntl let you go a month behind with your bill, or if you go over your credit limit before they cut you off,

But i may be wrong :)

maverick
21-09-2005, 22:40
My main concern here is,time and time again we get a hostile thread title and the post immeadiately attacking an ntl employee,now dont get me wrong ntl are not perfect but there really is no need to create a post like this.

If you need help ask for it.

The billing system is automated as far as I am aware if the billing database sees a missed payement it will auto disconnect,I could be wrong no doubt someone can clarify this.

bopdude
21-09-2005, 22:41

Posting in the NTL broadband section (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12) might help for starters :rolleyes: and I am not throwing any accusations of 'thick' it takes 2 to tango, doesn't it :shrug:

:Peaceman:

Russ
21-09-2005, 22:43
Posting in the NTL broadband section (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12) might help for starters :rolleyes: and I am not throwing any accusations of 'thick' it takes 2 to tango, doesn't it :shrug:

Aim the 'thick' one at me then for not moving it sooner :cry: :spin:

bopdude
21-09-2005, 22:45

Aim the 'thick' one at me then for not moving it sooner :cry: :spin:

Like I said, I wasn't calling anyone :D

Simcut
22-09-2005, 12:48
Jesus, what is with some people? *sigh* :( stop giving this stuey bloke a hard time.

DieDieMyDarling
22-09-2005, 14:38
I remember a time not so long ago when BillC was crying about being picked on, and threatening to leave the board because of it, yet over the last few weeks he's been very quick to jump on peoples backs, maybe he has a short memory of what it feels like.

Regardless of the reasons for this problem (to the OP) it's still very bad service by NTL. The waiting times are very bad, and disconnecting someone because they are 2 days late, is quite harsh, imo.

Having said that though, i doubt it's the people on the phones' fault, they have a job to do and they do it.

Jules
22-09-2005, 14:43
Bill C has helped a lot of people and to be honest I can not see him "crying" over being picked on

orangebird
22-09-2005, 14:45
If it was by DD and ntl took the money two days early, you'd have a bloody blue fit. I don't believe for a second that this guy was cut off due to be two days late paying at all, but late is late, end of. And I'm sure the rep on the phone WAS actually doing his job, but his job WAS NOT Freedom CS. :rolleyes:

Nemesis
22-09-2005, 14:51
Clearly Bill and Maverick your comments are about as constructive as nothing. The bill is 2 days late....... 2 DAYS... Hardly much is it?! I have tried to set up DD's with NTL and it doesn't work. My friend is exactly the same and he has to call NTL every single month to pay his balance.
Strange as it works for most people :shrug:
This problem has now been sorted and I am being disconnected in 10 days. I cannot wait to get back to BT and pay that extra £1 for AOL broadband. I am not prepared to use a service which is run by ADMIN EDIT (RUSS) - please do not use comments like that.
Oh come on behave .... they have millions of customers, only a minority have problems. Yours was self inflicted.

By the way, if you get a Cable Modem from AOL, guess what, yep, back on ntl .... ;)
NTL is a communications company that doesn't communicate and it hasn't changed from the days when I worked there.

Name a "communications" compnay, in fact *any* large company that doesn't have that problem.
Good

Now that you have decided to leave, can I close this thread, and stop the pointless squabbling.

jtwn
22-09-2005, 15:02
No.

Nemesis
22-09-2005, 15:13
No.:bsmack:

Bill C
22-09-2005, 15:14
I remember a time not so long ago when BillC was crying about being picked on, and threatening to leave the board because of it, yet over the last few weeks he's been very quick to jump on peoples backs, maybe he has a short memory of what it feels like.

Regardless of the reasons for this problem (to the OP) it's still very bad service by NTL. The waiting times are very bad, and disconnecting someone because they are 2 days late, is quite harsh, imo.

Having said that though, i doubt it's the people on the phones' fault, they have a job to do and they do it.

Or could it be i decided to give as much as we take. And as for crying i dont think so. And here was me thinking you were a grown up. :Yikes:

Shabba
22-09-2005, 15:32
From personal experiance, ntl let you go a month behind with your bill, or if you go over your credit limit before they cut you off,

But i may be wrong :)

Your correct just happened here when we decided to have joint accounts without informing the bank we'd like to continue with existing DD's.

stuey82
22-09-2005, 16:27
Close it.... Thanks to most for actual helpful comments. Some people on here are pathetic I have to say.

arcamalpha2004
22-09-2005, 16:28

Maybe the best thing you did was pay 2 days late, hopefully bt will take your custom with open arms.
It seems ironic to me that you can be disconnected for paying 2 days late, yet if you call cancellations they bend over backwards to keep your custom!
If it is a computer error, ( which is a shoddy excuse ) then a big sledge hammer needs to be wielded at it.

Nemesis
22-09-2005, 16:30

Maybe the best thing you did was pay 2 days late, hopefully bt will take your custom with open arms.
It seems ironic to me that you can be disconnected for paying 2 days late, yet if you call cancellations they bend over backwards to keep your custom!
If it is a computer error, ( which is a shoddy excuse ) then a big sledge hammer needs to be wielded at it.

As has been mentioned in this thread, ntl extend a months worth of credit to cater for this situation normally. So either there have been similar problems previously, thus removing the credit given, or the customer is not telling the full story.

stuey82
22-09-2005, 16:34
That is the full story..... They disconnected me literally after 2 days of non payment. I have no reason to lie about it.

Sorry, when I say disconnect I mean suspend.

arcamalpha2004
22-09-2005, 16:34
As has been mentioned in this thread, ntl extend a months worth of credit to cater for this situation normally. So either there have been similar problems previously, thus removing the credit given, or the customer is not telling the full story.

That may well be the case, only the op will know the full facts.
But, if it is down to NTL, there is clearly something amiss.

arcamalpha2004
22-09-2005, 16:37
That is the full story..... They disconnected me literally after 2 days of non payment. I have no reason to lie about it.

Sorry, when I say disconnect I mean suspend.

So we have to take your word, bt have no issues with taking you back so I wouldnt fret too much.
Disconnect or suspend, same thing in the end, you cant use the service.
Good luck.

stuey82
22-09-2005, 16:39
Your absolutely right! Cheers! :)

arcamalpha2004
22-09-2005, 16:42
Your absolutely right! Cheers! :)

Welcome.
Just a shame if NTL were late by sending a customer money it owed them by two days, what would their response be to you calling and questioning the delay? " what you moaning at? it;'s only 2 days late "
Swings both ways I say.