PDA

View Full Version : install NTL broadband software?

lorentz
20-09-2005, 15:28
Just a quick question regarding a brand new broadband connection from NTL. They put it in yesterday (when they said they were going to!!!) and the phone works, haven't tested the broadband yet as I need to phone up for a PIN number...
I have however read the little warning on the modem that says I have to install some NTL software before I even consider plugging my computer in to the modem, so I was wondering what the truth is. Past experience of other ISPs suggests installing anything they tell you to is a good way to break a computer, so what do I really need to do to connect? Is it possible to connect without installing the software (if so how - I assume someone must have explained somewhere on the internet but my googling isn't proficient enough to find it) or will I be surprised and find that my computer doesn't break or slow down?

Technical details - I'm running Windows XP SP2, have AVG and sophos protecting me from viruses but only windows firewall (I assume that needs correcting with a free download of something else but I've been sat behind a university firewall for so long that I've not bothered yet). I have no intention of installing ntl netguard but do I need to install bbmedic or anything else to switch it all on?

Many thanks in advance

Nemesis
20-09-2005, 15:36
If you are using Ethernet, then you don't need any software.
If you are using USB, you will need the USB drivers only.

DON'T INSTALL THE WHOLE DISK, explore to find the drivers.

MovedGoalPosts
20-09-2005, 15:37
:welcome: to Cable Forum :D

You should not need to install softare if you will be connecting via an ethernet cable. If your PC is setup to automatically detect settings, it should do just fine.

If you connect using USB then you need to install software drivers. USB can be demanding on resources in a computer so ethernet can be more reliable in the long term.

lorentz
20-09-2005, 15:46
So I can just ignore the little warning notice about needing to install software? Cool

I'll go plug my ethernet cable in.

Many thanks.

Halcyon
20-09-2005, 16:48
Yep, Just turn your computer completly off and the modem too.
Then plug in your ethernet cable.
Then turn on the cable modem and wait for the lights to stabalise. (It does a quick power up test).
Then switch on your computer and you should be ready to go.

quadplay
20-09-2005, 21:23
Not quite ready to go... Got to register the modem first! Visit https://autoreg.autoregister.net/ with your PIN number and follow the instructions on screen. :)

lorentz
21-09-2005, 11:42
Seemed to be connected when I plugged it in but wouldn't open any websites which I guess is because of the modem needing to be registered. Will try the registration website this evening (I assume that must be done from the modem I'm trying to register) and if that works then I'll start using the install CD as a coaster :D

Many thanks again.

tweetiepooh
21-09-2005, 11:48
It also installs MSJVM which is not neccessary since Sun's is much better and more stable.

Go to microsoft site for instructions on disposing of MSJVM.