PDA

View Full Version : Good eyes - Bad eyes

Salu
19-09-2005, 10:41
Have you ever looked into someone's eyes and felt that you were able to perceive an overwhelming good or even bad in them?

Do you know what I mean? The little old woman/nun who has wrinkles around the edges of her eyes that you instantly know you could trust them with your baby etc.

Or the cold shudder you detect when you catch the gaze of a slightly dishevelled 20 something who gives you that piercing glare even if it lasts less than a second. You instantly know something is awry. Maybe it's drugs? Maybe it's something else?

Do you experience this? Are we able to perceive Good/Evil in an instant. How can we do this? Is it a spiritual sense? Can we all do it? What is it about the eyes?

Russ
19-09-2005, 10:44
Not sure about this one. I'm sure with a lot of people they won't even get as close as the eyes - they'll have made their judgement by the time they see the hooded top or burberry cap etc

Roy MM
19-09-2005, 10:51
Know what you mean, i sometime look at someone and instantly come to a conclusion on trust or not, wierd i know.

marky
19-09-2005, 12:10
They do say "the eyes are the gateway to the soul" and i find it difficult to talk to a person who is wearing dark glasses :shrug:

atlantis
19-09-2005, 12:11
They do say "the eyes are the gateway to the soul" and i find it difficult to talk to a person who is wearing dark glasses :shrug:

Well said Marky, you beat me to it:tu:

Salu
19-09-2005, 12:14
So we can all (so far) identify with it. But how do we do this?

timewarrior2001
19-09-2005, 12:48
Conditioning, most of us are taught that the eyes never lie.

I think thats all it is, you dont need to look into someones eyes to decide if they are dodgy or not.

atlantis
19-09-2005, 12:55
Here's agood site, with lots of origins of:

http://www.yaelf.com/questions.shtml

Angua
19-09-2005, 12:55
I read somewhere (please do not ask where I cannot remember) that if a persons pupils are dilated they are immediately more attractive. Whereas if they are contracted the opposite is the case.

Linky (http://www.sosuave.com/articles/lookinto.htm)

me283
19-09-2005, 13:32
Indeed, as has been said already, I believe "The eyes are the windows to the soul". It's also quite oftn the case that people who lie will try to avoid eye contact. On the other hand, I often think that eyes are the first thing I really notice about the opposite sex.

cara08
19-09-2005, 13:39
Indeed, as has been said already, I believe "The eyes are the windows to the soul". It's also quite oftn the case that people who lie will try to avoid eye contact. On the other hand, I often think that eyes are the first thing I really notice about the opposite sex.

agreed, you can tell a lot from looking into someones eyes

Halcyon
19-09-2005, 13:42
Ah yeah I know what you mean.
I've seen some people come out of clubs and they look totally on drugs or in a complete other world. I wouldnt trust them with anything.
I then see people with nice clear eyes that seem to be more "with it" and I know I could alteast have a decent conversation with them.

Salu
19-09-2005, 16:47
What are you seeing in them though? Is it subliminal? Are you using a "spiritual" gift to discern or is it all in the minute detail of micro-muscle contraction in the eye lids?

Nugget
19-09-2005, 16:49
agreed, you can tell a lot from looking into someones eyes

You can't if they poke you in your eye for getting too close / being a nosey bugger ;) :D

Jules
19-09-2005, 16:57
I think a lot of us have an inner "thing" like a sixth sense that helps us

cara08
19-09-2005, 17:20
You can't if they poke you in your eye for getting too close / being a nosey bugger ;) :D

yes it tells me they don`t want me anywhere near them ;)

Julian
19-09-2005, 18:08
I was always taught never to trust someone who does not look you in the eyes when shaking your hand.

greencreeper
19-09-2005, 18:40
A lot of it is subconscious recognition and processing of the other person's facial muscle movements, including those around the eyes. Even though we focus on the eyes, we can still see and interpret the rest of the face. Ekman has done interesting work in this area.

Martin
19-09-2005, 18:52
I know instantly wether i like someone or not just by looking at them and i'm never wrong!!! Before anyone says it must be how they're dressed.... well it isn't.... i just know!!!!

How this is done i can only guess.... I suspect that the body language plays a big part....... I mean most of us would be able to spot someone who was very shy at a hundred paces. So if we can do that maybe body language is the key?

Jules
19-09-2005, 21:38
I was always taught never to trust someone who does not look you in the eyes when shaking your hand.

I don't think you would trust me then as I have a problem looking people in the eyes at any time :disturbd:

marky
19-09-2005, 21:41
I don't think you would trust me then as I have a problem looking people in the eyes at any time :disturbd:

ahh but that can also be nice as it can display innocence and being shy :erm:

Martin
19-09-2005, 22:08

Hmmmm it's probably best not to make eye contact when shaking someones hand, imagine the embarressment if you missed! LMAO :p:

Salu
20-09-2005, 15:50
ahh but that can also be nice as it can display innocence and being shy :erm:

Are you flirting? :rolleyes:

marky
20-09-2005, 15:53
Are you flirting? :rolleyes::shocked: :Sprint:

Jules
20-09-2005, 18:46
Hmmmm it's probably best not to make eye contact when shaking someones hand, imagine the embarressment if you missed! LMAO :p:

Oh I don't know :D