PDA

View Full Version : "Network cable unplugged" error. strange, please help.

heyyo
18-09-2005, 16:26
I currently have 2 desktop computers and a laptop sharing internet connection via router...suddenly today the internet is only working through the laptop, the desktop pc i am using is showing "network cable unplugged"...i have made sure all cables are connected propertly, reset the modem and router and i have restarted the computer...it still shows the same error. I have also tried uninstalled the network via device manager, this has made no difference.

i have no idea what is wrong, i assumed it could be a faulty network cable but i have tried others including the one going to the laptop and it still doesnt work...

can anyone reccomend any steps that i could try so i can get the net back...thankyou

Graham M
18-09-2005, 16:40
Is the other Desktop PC's internet working?

heyyo
18-09-2005, 16:55
ive heard it isnt its not mine its a friends, they told me it isnt working either but this was before mine decided to go off today....

Paul K
18-09-2005, 17:10
Have you tried a factory reset on the router?

heyyo
18-09-2005, 17:24
yep done that 2 still doesnt work

Graham M
18-09-2005, 17:29
Is the light on for the port on the router?

heyyo
18-09-2005, 17:31
the lights are on for the router but its not picking it up for the desktop??

Paul K
18-09-2005, 17:32
So 1 port is still working but all others aren't? What happens if you switch PCs on the port which currently works?

Graham M
18-09-2005, 17:33
humm, is the network interface enabled in Control Panel?

heyyo
18-09-2005, 17:38
how do i get to check that pls

Paul - they all work but for some reason its not picking up the desktop pc - im using the laptop at moment....to find out how i can fix the problem

Paul K
18-09-2005, 17:39
Can you ping the router or 127.0.0.1 ?
http://compnetworking.about.com/od/workingwithipaddresses/l/aa042400c.htm
Might help you track down where the fault is.

rdhw
19-09-2005, 11:29
Ithe desktop pc i am using is showing "network cable unplugged"When did you last have a thunderstorm? Was that when the desktop stopped working? You need to find a way of checking whether your desktop's ethernet hardware is still working.

Code601
19-09-2005, 11:57
Some applications can mess up the tcp-ip settings so it won`t connect properly.

If you did not change anything with your cabling, then its probably software

A good way to check is to open a command prompt and type

"ipconfig /renew"

If you get a message like "so and so is not a socket" some rouge software has messed up tcp-ip, maybe a firewall or some adware type junk.

Ignition
19-09-2005, 13:14
Some applications can mess up the tcp-ip settings so it won`t connect properly.

If you did not change anything with your cabling, then its probably software

A good way to check is to open a command prompt and type

"ipconfig /renew"

If you get a message like "so and so is not a socket" some rouge software has messed up tcp-ip, maybe a firewall or some adware type junk.

You're looking a bit too high up the stack there, it's not a software issue unless it's a device driver issue, so best bet is hardware or ring-0 software.

1) Try changing the network card on the PC to 100Mbit full duplex, might be duplex sensing that's munted.
2) Reinstall network card driver on the affected PC.
3) Panic and consider investing in a new network card :)

blackthorn
19-09-2005, 13:45
This happens to me sometimes, particulary after a Norton update.
What I usually do is, run the home network program again ( the one in windows AND the one in Norton ) and its ok again. But if you havent got Norton, then its not that and I havent been much help.

atlantis
19-09-2005, 14:36
Error Message: Network Cable Unplugged

Description: Donââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t take this message literally †“ there are many causes besides not having a cable physically plugged into the network card. The message really means that the network card doesnââ‚ƚ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢t detect a live link to another device on the other end of the cable.

Possible Solutions:

Download and install the latest network card driver program.
Check the cabling †“ a bad cable will prevent link detection. Substitute a cable thatâ₠¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s known to be good.
Check the link lights on the device on the other end of the cable, whether itââ‚ ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s a hub, switch, router, or a NIC in another computer. It should show a live link to the NIC. If it doesnââ‚ƚ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢t, try a different port.
Auto-detecting speed and duplex mode can be unreliable. Set them manually. Most routers and switches use 100Mb, full duplex. Hubs can only use half duplex.

phils_wicked
21-09-2005, 20:01
Im having this exact same problem!

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?p=582948#post582948

Unresolved :(

heyyo
22-09-2005, 13:12
I am going home this weekend will try try some of your reccomendations, i do hope it works.

I'm not sure if a calling an engineer out will resolve the problem. So strange it has never happened before.