PDA

View Full Version : installation question

madpro
17-09-2005, 15:10
hi guys

just wondering if i reinstall windows xp do i need to go through the process of registering the modem again etc. really just want to know the quickest way of getting back online once i've finished installing xp!

cheers

Russ
17-09-2005, 15:15
No, you don't need to register the modem again. If you are using a NIC then you just plug it back in and XP should do the rest.

You'll need the POP/SMTP settings again though if you want to use Outlook/Outlook Express...

patrickp
17-09-2005, 15:20
No, you don't need to register the modem again. If you are using a NIC then you just plug it back in and XP should do the rest.

You'll need the POP/SMTP settings again though if you want to use Outlook/Outlook Express...

Rather, you'll need the POP and SMTP settings again if you want to use _any_ email client, rather than using web mail ;-)

madpro
17-09-2005, 15:20
excellent!

thats what i needed to hear, thanks for the prompt reply!

Russ
17-09-2005, 15:21
Well yes, although given that most people still use Outlook in some form, I was just going with the law of averages :D

atlantis
17-09-2005, 15:42
In case you've not them, these are the setting for outlook/outlook express:
pop.ntlworld.com
smtp.ntlworld.com

gripper103
17-09-2005, 21:01
Hope you don't mind me borrowing your thread,but do you need to reinstal with the disk if you're going with the USB option

Russ
17-09-2005, 23:55
No - all you need the disk for is the USB drivers. You're better off plugging the modem in to the USB port after your format then inserting the disk but stop it from auto-running. When XP asks for the location of the drivers, direct it to your CD ROM drive and it should then go ok once you've rebooted.

gripper103
18-09-2005, 08:59
Great thanks:)

patrickp
18-09-2005, 13:05
Hope you don't mind me borrowing your thread,but do you need to reinstal with the disk if you're going with the USB option

As Russ said,

No - all you need the disk for is the USB drivers. You're better off plugging the modem in to the USB port after your format then inserting the disk but stop it from auto-running. When XP asks for the location of the drivers, direct it to your CD ROM drive and it should then go ok once you've rebooted.

You'll get a much more reliable connection using ethernet, though. Any PC made now should have an ethernet port; if you don't, ethernet cards are only a few quid, and not difficult to install. It also means you're all ready if you want to start using a router. If you already have a working ethernet port, you don't need the CD at all to set up your connection - and would be better off not using it, as well since, like most ISP-supplied software, the stuff that's installed supposedly to facilitate and manage your connection is often more of a problem than a help.