PDA

View Full Version : Connection probs

igates
16-09-2005, 13:07
Hi there, I have been trying to set up a couple of computers for my girlfriend and her brother, and although I can get her computer (a MAC) working just fine both directly to the modem, or through the wireless router, I cant get her brothers to work. I have the wireless card working fine, but his laptop just wont find the internet. I tried running the NTL disc on his laptop with it connected directly to the modem (ethernet), but it keeps coming up with the message that it cant renew the IP address. Can anyone suggest a solution that would allow me to force it to renew its address (and would that work?)

jonbr
16-09-2005, 14:10
If you are connecting via ethernet you don't need the ntl CD.

Are you sure the wireless connection, on the laptop, is setup to obtain an IP address via DHCP (from the router)?

Is the router configured to restrict MAC addresses, the laptop being one of them?

Are you using Windows to control the wireless connection or the wireless device suppliers drivers. Windows has a habit of constantly trying to re-authorise a wireless connection causing the loss of wireless connection. Make sure you have the suppliers drivers installed for the wireless decive in the laptop.

and finally, have to configured the laptop to pickup the wireless network - if you tell Windows to scan for the wireless network does it find it?