PDA

View Full Version : phone problems

stuart noble
16-09-2005, 12:13
As of yesterday my phone has been crossed with at least 2 other subscribers so that we're all getting each other's calls and a right bloody mess has ensued. NTL say they'll get an engineer "out" in 5 days time, and I have to stay home in case he calls! From what I can gather, this is likely to be a strictly internal cock-up on their part which could probably be resolved remotely.
Why do NTL have this philosophy of it always being the customer's fault? They recently suggested reformatting my hard drive to get their broadband to work when it was patently obvious that the issues were at their end. People are remarkably tolerant of tech problems if they're acknowledged and are being worked on, but NTL seem to be permanently in denial about the shambles they have created.

ste'81
16-09-2005, 12:19
This will not be a fault that can be resolved remotely. It is more likely to be a problem in the cabinet down your street. Wires may have shorted together or the connecting block failed. Yes ntl may be able to resolve this without you being home. But wouldn't you prefer they come to your house to confirm it's all ok? 5 days wait is a long time for an engineer, perhaps the engineers in your area are very busy at the moment. I take it you have tried a corded phone in the socket? I often hear of people in the same road using the same brand of cordless phone and occasionally the frequencies clash.

stuart noble
18-09-2005, 11:04
There are at least 3 subscribers affected by this. Presumably they have all reported a fault, so are we all expected to stay home while NTL sort out their internal cock ups? I somehow doubt that wires just short of their own accord. One of their "engineers" has screwed up and , as usual, it's the customer's problem. Everything NTL do or say smacks of incompetence, whether it's tv, broadband, phone, billing, you name it. I've had enough, but no doubt disentangling yourself from NTL will be another nightmare.

Angua
18-09-2005, 12:37
It may not be NTL who have messed up. I have seen a BT engineer fiddling with the green box.

And :welcome: to the site

ian@huth
18-09-2005, 12:59
It may not be NTL who have messed up. I have seen a BT engineer fiddling with the green box.

And :welcome: to the siteMay have been a BT green box. :)

Angua
18-09-2005, 13:04
May have been a BT green box. :)

No it was the same one as an NTL guy went to, only one in sight from our house.

stuart noble
20-09-2005, 11:35
In case anyone's interested in the outcome of this, engineer came this morning, fitted some kind of box to my socket, went off somewhere for 15 mins and switched the leads back to where they should have been. Confirmed that it was 100% human error and that my connection was 10 slots from where it should have been.
So because some idiot can't count, I have to stay in all day and the current engineer has to park his van twice (a very scruffy unmarked van incidentally), which isn't easy round here. There is no limit to how many staff you need, and how much of a backlog you'll develop if nobody does anything right the first time.

Bill C
20-09-2005, 11:45
In case anyone's interested in the outcome of this, engineer came this morning, fitted some kind of box to my socket, went off somewhere for 15 mins and switched the leads back to where they should have been. Confirmed that it was 100% human error and that my connection was 10 slots from where it should have been.
So because some idiot can't count, I have to stay in all day and the current engineer has to park his van twice (a very scruffy unmarked van incidentally), which isn't easy round here. There is no limit to how many staff you need, and how much of a backlog you'll develop if nobody does anything right the first time.

The box was a toner device something like THIS (http://www.action-electronics.com/tracker.htm). This injects a signal on the cable which helps him find your cable at the far end. What has the look of his van have to do with this. :D Glad to hear you are fixed now. :tu:

ste'81
20-09-2005, 11:47
what he fitted to the socket would have been a toning device. this sends a tone along the wires back to the cabinet. the engineer could then use a small amp to locate the wires.
So in this case the fault was caused by an engineer who made a mistake in the cabinet. Are you saying you have never made a mistake?

Ah Bill C beat me to it :dunce:

stuart noble
21-09-2005, 09:49
Yes, I've made mistakes, but I admit to them and put them right as a matter of priority.

ste'81
21-09-2005, 09:54
and the engineer who came out didn't admit to it being a human error?
how would somebody in the office know it was a the fault of an engineer who had been to the cabinet in the street?

also ntl did fix it for you. they can't make you a priority over other customers who reported their faults before you. that would just be unfair for other customers.

stuart noble
21-09-2005, 10:10
Forgot to mention that the device he attached wasn't as sophisticated looking as the toner. Just a black box about 2" cube.
I don't care about the van but it doesn't do the company image much good. You may be firefighting, but at least try and look as though you're in control.