PDA

View Full Version : What instrument is best...and cheapest to learn?

Pia
16-09-2005, 00:27
I would absolutely love to teach myself (with books and vids etc) how to play either the guitar or the piano. I can't afford a proper piano though but i was thinking more like a big keyboard.
The thing is, money is tight. Also i would ve doing it for an hour or so at a time when my son is in bed, is this achieveable?

Hope someone can give me some tips, i just don't know a lot abuot learning i wish i had done it at school but i'm only 20 and would like to be able top play the keyboard/piano or guitar....
:)

nffc
16-09-2005, 00:32
Piano's easy... get a keyboard, i have a proper piano but my £100-150ish keyboard is OK, tend to use it for MIDI / Soundfonts more than owt else, but it's fine to learn on.

Probably better trying to find some form of (human) teacher though as opposed to teaching yourself... you pick up bad habits, which take longer to sort if you're used to doing them.

MovedGoalPosts
16-09-2005, 00:32
Never attempted to play either. Good luck.

If you were to go for the keyboard option, most should have a headphone socket so you need only torture yourself with the noise (sorry music ;) ) and not wake your son. You might be able to mute a guitar a little, but some noise must be inevitable.

As for time available. If you are serious I'd have thought an hour 2-3 times a week would let you get somewhere.

It might be advantageous to check with your local adult education. Many offer classes, which might give you a kick start, and a few tips, helping your motivation.

marky
16-09-2005, 00:38
I would get a cheap keyboard, a couple of books and teach youself the basics

my wife is in bed she teaches piano i'll ask her and post tomorrow or she can post if she can get me off :)

atlantis
16-09-2005, 00:38
Check your local papers, the free ones carry ads for guitar lessons, either being tutored in your home, or theirs, if you're worried about doing practise in public.
Guitar music is very soothing, so if you practise with your son around, he'll get used to it, your confidence will rise as well, and he'll sleep through any late sessions.

timewarrior2001
16-09-2005, 00:39
Keyboard would be easaier to learn than guitar, However as a guitarist I can recommend the guitar.

You can get a great accoustic for less than £100 and an electric even cheaper if you dont mind owning a cheapo.

I would invest in lessons though, I spent the last 15 years trying to teach myself and am now looking at getting lessons.

for guitar, I can recomend a program called "guitar pro 4"
and the website www.mysongbook.com (which is really busy, but supplies "tab" for just about any song you can think of and lessons and exercises)

NB TAB is a simplified version of a music sheet, it shows which strings and which fret number to put your finger on.

I notice your from the North East, I can recommend a shop in Stockton on Tees called Bandland. They are on the portrack industrial estate right near holme house prison. They sell drums, keyboards and guitars. The guy that owns it is a wealth of knowledge and very trustworthy.
They even supply P.A Gear to Chubby brown.

ikthius
16-09-2005, 00:40
the spoons or a washing board?

ik

Pia
16-09-2005, 00:46
Hey everyone thanks for all your replies, i think the keyboard probably does seem a less complex one to learn.. I don't know about getting a tutor, any spare money is supposed to be going towards debts and driving lessons so i wanted to do this as my own thing that i can do myself without spending any money.

I'm inspired by people like Jack White who can play piano like he does, i would just love to try do it myself. I guess its just motivation i need:shrug:

timewarrior2001
16-09-2005, 00:47
Hey everyone thanks for all your replies, i think the keyboard probably does seem a less complex one to learn.. I don't know about getting a tutor, any spare money is supposed to be going towards debts and driving lessons so i wanted to do this as my own thing that i can do myself without spending any money.

I'm inspired by people like Jack White who can play piano like he does, i would just love to try do it myself. I guess its just motivation i need:shrug:

I dont know myself but many Keyboard players find picking up the guitar later in life fairly simple. I know it sounds crazy but they are very a like.

Pia
16-09-2005, 00:47
Keyboard would be easaier to learn than guitar, However as a guitarist I can recommend the guitar.

You can get a great accoustic for less than £100 and an electric even cheaper if you dont mind owning a cheapo.

I would invest in lessons though, I spent the last 15 years trying to teach myself and am now looking at getting lessons.

for guitar, I can recomend a program called "guitar pro 4"
and the website www.mysongbook.com (http://www.mysongbook.com) (which is really busy, but supplies "tab" for just about any song you can think of and lessons and exercises)

NB TAB is a simplified version of a music sheet, it shows which strings and which fret number to put your finger on.

I notice your from the North East, I can recommend a shop in Stockton on Tees called Bandland. They are on the portrack industrial estate right near holme house prison. They sell drums, keyboards and guitars. The guy that owns it is a wealth of knowledge and very trustworthy.
They even supply P.A Gear to Chubby brown.

Excellent post thanks, i will bear all of that in mind... I'm just scared of learning to play the guitar it looks hard! Plus i'm left handed so would i need a left handed guitar?:dozey:

MovedGoalPosts
16-09-2005, 00:48

Ah a potentially useful way of learning the instrument and getting some tunes out of it. Yet it is a dangerous way of learning if you want to be a serious musician, able to sight read proper music and perhaps improvise with your mates.

As a youngster I learn't the trombone, largely by associating a slide position with the music blob on the music sheet. I did not learn the name of the note and associate the slide position with the note name. I thus cut out the middle man, but as I progressed found it very hard to read new music.

timewarrior2001
16-09-2005, 00:50
Excellent post thanks, i will bear all of that in mind... I'm just scared of learning to play the guitar it looks hard! Plus i'm left handed so would i need a left handed guitar?:dozey:

The truth about left and right handed guitar playing is this. You buy a guitar your most comfortable with, I always play right handed, but thats because I never tried left handed (if you understand that).

I really would like to encourage you to start guitar, theres not that many female guitarists around. But seriously look at keyboards too.

I think in reality guitar or keyboard is the only two to consider right now.

Pia
16-09-2005, 00:51
The truth about left and right handed guitar playing is this. You buy a guitar your most comfortable with, I always play right handed, but thats because I never tried left handed (if you understand that).

I really would like to encourage you to start guitar, theres not that many female guitarists around. But seriously look at keyboards too.

Why don't you teach me! :D

Roy MM
16-09-2005, 00:52
I would absolutely love to teach myself (with books and vids etc) how to play either the guitar or the piano. I can't afford a proper piano though but i was thinking more like a big keyboard.
The thing is, money is tight. Also i would ve doing it for an hour or so at a time when my son is in bed, is this achieveable?

Hope someone can give me some tips, i just don't know a lot abuot learning i wish i had done it at school but i'm only 20 and would like to be able top play the keyboard/piano or guitar....

Damn pity you don't live near me, we have just put out a big organ with foot pedals and stops for pick up by the local council, perfect working order but the charity shops will not collect.

timewarrior2001
16-09-2005, 00:53
Ah a potentially useful way of learning the instrument and getting some tunes out of it. Yet it is a dangerous way of learning if you want to be a serious musician, able to sight read proper music and perhaps improvise with your mates.

As a youngster I learn't the trombone, largely by associating a slide position with the music blob on the music sheet. I did not learn the name of the note and associate the slide position with the note name. I thus cut out the middle man, but as I progressed found it very hard to read new music.

To tell you the truth, not much call for guitarists to learn to read music, unless you want to play classical or perhaps Bass.

Many guitar techniques are learnt these days through very very basic theory and sheer practice, most scales etc come in tab format, most lessons are tabbed cos its quicker and easier than writing music, and as for improvisation, if it sounds right or how you want it too its right.

Why don't you teach me! :D

Cos I'm crap lol :D

nffc
16-09-2005, 00:56

Err, he would have had lessons though... think of all the money I (well, parents) would have spent paying for lessons on three instruments from about 5 to 18 :erm:

I dont know myself but many Keyboard players find picking up the guitar later in life fairly simple. I know it sounds crazy but they are very a like.

Never really got into it myself, can play (a bit, if i could be bothered) though.

Left handed violinists don't play left-handed violins, can't see how it would be relevant. "Handedness" doesn't really come into it tbf.

Don't get me going about trombone position jokes.

First paragraph I can't argue with really... get lessons, some younger teachers for beginners would probably only be about £10-15 ph and really, you'd only need half.

Pia
16-09-2005, 00:57
Cos I'm crap lol :D

Lol.

Do you think a video or dvd could be worthwhile rather than a book?

nffc
16-09-2005, 00:57

Damn pity you don't live near me, we have just put out a big organ with foot pedals and stops for pick up by the local council, perfect working order but the charity shops will not collect.
How many foot pedals? 13 or 35?

Pia
16-09-2005, 00:59
Left handed violinists don't play left-handed violins, can't see how it would be relevant. "Handedness" doesn't really come into it tbf.

But you can buy left handed guitars. And i was just thinking about when i was trying to learn if i was holding it upside down so learning all the wrong notes:D

nffc
16-09-2005, 01:01

But you can buy left handed guitars. And i was just thinking about when i was trying to learn if i was holding it upside down so learning all the wrong notes:D
As I said though, there's little element of "handedness" in it, and if you learn right-handed you can transfer to other stringed instruments if you wanted, without having to relearn.

danielf
16-09-2005, 01:01

As a failed would be left-handed guitarist: there's degrees of left- and right handedness. For some (ambidextrous) people it does not make much difference, for others (me for one) it's impossible to play right handed. I found being left-handed did not make learning to play the guitar much easier as you basically have to invert half the educational material available. But then again, I probably left it too late (picked up my first guitar at 33), and am generally crap at it. :)

Roy MM
16-09-2005, 01:02

13 I think was not mine but my lads, grown out of it, had an electronic control to the left of the double keyboard and an array of stop switches above, cost us a few squid years ago when he was learning his music.

danielf
16-09-2005, 01:04
As I said though, there's little element of "handedness" in it, and if you learn right-handed you can transfer to other stringed instruments if you wanted, without having to relearn.

See my post above, handedness does matter, just not for all.

Pia
16-09-2005, 01:04
As a failed would be left-handed guitarist: there's degrees of left- and right handedness. For some (ambidextrous) people it does not make much difference, for others (me for one) it's impossible to play right handed. I found being left-handed did not make learning to play the guitar much easier as you basically have to invert half the educational material available. But then again, I probably left it too late (picked up my first guitar at 33), and am generally crap at it. :)

Hi thats what i was worried about, not being 'dextrous enough!
Was just trying to think how i would be holding it right handed, or left.

So i'd be strumming with my right hand, or holding with my right hand? :dunce:

nffc
16-09-2005, 01:12

Strumming. Although arguably, the left hand does the more important role.

13 I think was not mine but my lads, grown out of it, had an electronic control to the left of the double keyboard and an array of stop switches above, cost us a few squid years ago when he was learning his music.
Oh, one of those...

danielf
16-09-2005, 01:23

On a left-handed guitar, you would be strumming with your left, and 'fretting' with your right hand. I don't think I could strum with my right hand. But, you may want to give it a try. If you can, it would make life easier for you. (Apart from the educational issues, right handed gear is cheaper/easier to find)

BTW: Learning to play the guitar is a painful experience as well. The strings on your fretting hand will cut into your fingertips. It will take time to build up the callous.

Roy MM
16-09-2005, 01:25

Oh, one of those...

Go on one of those what?

Halcyon
16-09-2005, 01:25
I too would reccomend the keyboard. You can get a basic one pretty cheply, however a good 61 keys or more full size keys keyboard will be easier to play than a tiny little casio keyboard.

Any beginners piano / keyboard book will teahc you how to learn the scales and read music.
I think the piano is the most helpful for learning notes and getting to grips with the various sounds of the different notes.

nffc
16-09-2005, 01:28

Oh, one of those...

Go on one of those what?
Nothing...

Roy MM
16-09-2005, 01:32
Nothing...

There goes the expert :D

ScaredWebWarrior
16-09-2005, 01:33
A keyboard has all those wonderful features like auto-accompaniment, which mean you can sound like a virtuoso almost from day 1, playing with just 1 finger.

Then you build up your skills.

Keyboards vary a lot in price - look for a good 2nd hand one, then you can get more for your money.

If you can do 1 hour/day then you'll come on VERY quickly indeed. The nice thing with the keyboard is also that they usually allow headphones, so you can play as loud as you like without disturbing anyone.

It's never too late. I started on the trumpet last year, after dreaming about it for many years (more than you've been breathing. lol) and I'm doing OK.
I got some initial books, then discovered better ones, with accompaniment tracks on CD.
I taught myself to read music too.

Now I managed that in much less that 1h/day.

I may not be Louis Armstrong, but I enjoy it, and that's what matters.
I'd like to be able to play 'performance' level, and maybe that'll come one day. For now, it's just fun.

Roy MM
16-09-2005, 01:36
I was a drummer for 20 yrs loved it, but packed it in, family came 1st.

timewarrior2001
16-09-2005, 11:46
Some more advice about guitars.

1/ Yes its painfull when you first start playing, your finger tips will be sore and your hands will ache
2/ If your left handed and you buy a left handed guitar, you will strum with your left hand and fret with your right hand.
3/ As with all instruments there are exercises to learn, many of the guitar exercises combine scales with finger stretching and strengthening exercises.
4/ Learning any instrument is NOT easy, it takes dedication and patience.

Not sure about any specific videos, I dont see why you couldnt learn from them, it certainly easier to pick up once shown rather than trying to figure it out yourself.

Take a look here:-

http://guitar.about.com/library/weekly/aa071200a.htm
Its not about a video or anything but it should give you some good background into the guitar and some good tips.

Pia
02-10-2005, 19:08
Ok so its been a while since i started this thread now, and i have just done a potentially silly thing....

I was browsing the kays lifestyle website who i have an account with and randomly ordered a keyboard, (nto good considering how skint i am :erm:!)

Now i just have to wait til it comes, so in the meantime i figured i'd try get some advice from you guys!

Is there any good sites where i could get some cheap (or free:p:) sheet music, i know i need to get the basics first, but i like the sound of white stripes and coldplay on piano.

Any free downloads for this kind of thing?

Anyone out there with any they could send ;)?

Basically i just need to get myself sorted to learn, but i really really really don't want to start off with all the 'traditional' basic stuff cos i just know it'll bore me and i'll end up giving up, so i want something a bit more modern like white stripes chords etc....

Can anyone give me their knowledge? :)

Oh btw, shall i give a link on here so someone can see what they think of the keyboard?

marky
02-10-2005, 19:15
Ive looked for free downloads and all were rubbish, we went to a local music shop and paid £10 for a book with a cd ( the complete keyboard player ):)

Graham
02-10-2005, 23:26
I was browsing the kays lifestyle website who i have an account with and randomly ordered a keyboard, (nto good considering how skint i am :erm:!)

If you want to change your mind (which, if you're skint, might be a good idea!) under the Distance Selling Regulations you have a 7 day cooling off period on all online transactions (well, virtually all, excluding perishable items and things like newspapers), so you can just call them up and say you've changed your mind.

(If the item's already been sent you will have to pay to send it back under these conditions, though).

Pia
02-10-2005, 23:30
sounds like a good idea graham thanks! but i still don't know...

I'm pretty excited about it coming though...
(It's £82 if anyone was interested), i know thats not much for a keyboard but seeing as though xmas is fast approaching i'm sure my money could be better spent on my son...

I just feel like i'm being selfish!! And it looks like they've upped my credit limit from £700 to £2,500 anyway, unless that was an error..
Debts ey.:D

marky
02-10-2005, 23:36
Yikes i'll post you a copy of the book if you want :)

Angua
02-10-2005, 23:37
Ok so its been a while since i started this thread now, and i have just done a potentially silly thing....

Now i just have to wait til it comes, so in the meantime i figured i'd try get some advice from you guys!

Is there any good sites where i could get some cheap (or free:p:) sheet music, i know i need to get the basics first, but i like the sound of white stripes and coldplay on piano.

Any free downloads for this kind of thing?

Anyone out there with any they could send ;)?

Basically i just need to get myself sorted to learn, but i really really really don't want to start off with all the 'traditional' basic stuff cos i just know it'll bore me and i'll end up giving up, so i want something a bit more modern like white stripes chords etc....

Can anyone give me their knowledge? :)

Oh btw, shall i give a link on here so someone can see what they think of the keyboard?

If you don't like it when you get it home at least with a catalogue it's free to return.

My daughter has just started the Yamaha keyboard lessons, a bit pricey but she is a very enthusiastic teacher so worth it for the time being.

I would offer to send a couple of pages but without the teacher it makes no sense (a deliberate ploy by Yamaha).

Pia
02-10-2005, 23:46
ah right, aww so kind..!

Marky, lol at you :kiss: