PDA

View Full Version : How to connect USB cable modem to Ethernet Router?

misson
15-09-2005, 21:13
I have been helping a friend to set up a wireless network using belkin wireless router, but without any success. :confused: I tried various options including the one listed on the website below: homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/
I also bought RJ45 to USB adaptor and fitted to router to have the cable modem connected using USB cable. But some how the router does not find the modem. I also installed a second network card in the PC and tried using its ethernet connection to connect without any success.
But when you connect the modem directly with USB connection to the PC there does not seem to any problem in finding modem!!
Am I right in understanding the cable modem's ethernet port is faulty? Is it the router which is faulty or am I doing something wrong? Can some one out there help me urgently please

bdav
15-09-2005, 21:16
USB will not work - if you have USB on your router, its prob. for storage. What router? When you plug in the ethernet lead (btw is it the one that came with the modem?), do any lights come on on the router?

misson
15-09-2005, 21:38
Its a Belkin router apart from the modem all other connected lights come on, the modem has ready, sync and pwr LED on, the USB or Ethernet LED never come on!!

DocDutch
15-09-2005, 22:23
Mission, 1stly welcome here :)

2nd which Belkin router you got there matey as I'm 100% sure that we dont have any usb routers and havent even heard of it.

normally if your on NTL cable then your modem should have an Ethernet connector and USB. if your on NTL Freedom then if correct you get a BT modem pure usb so if thats the case then you need to swap your router for a modem router otherwise there wont be a single chance for you to get this working.

trust me I deal with it everyday.

belkin techie :)