PDA

View Full Version : ps2>stb

dillinja
18-10-2003, 12:08
Hi all!

Just a quick question. I was wondering if it is possible to connect my ps2 to my stb when Im connected to bb on a cable modem.
The problem is, the cable modem is in the bedroom while my ps2 is in the sitting room, and rather than having to disconnect my modem and bring it into the sitting room every time I want to play online, if I could just plug out the CM in the bedroom and connect through the stb, it would be ideal.
Maybe just laziness but I didnt get where I am now by making work for myself. :)

Thanks.

Steve H
18-10-2003, 13:25
No, The BB signal is recieved through the CM - Not the STB. The STB wont have any signal coming to it.

Welcome to nthellworld by the way :)

dillinja
18-10-2003, 19:19
Thanks steve, thats what I thought.

Thanks for the welcome too :)

gary_580
20-10-2003, 13:36
huh? is that correct? Even if you have a cable modem cant you still use the modem in the stb? or is there a configuation issue?

Steve H
20-10-2003, 16:16
Well Why would you have a cable modem if you were to use your STB anyway? :p

Anyway, No you cant.. There's no signal going to the STB, as its going to the CM.

dodgyboy
20-10-2003, 16:32
huh? is that correct? Even if you have a cable modem cant you still use the modem in the stb? or is there a configuation issue?

In theory you could have this setup but you would have 2 BB accounts therfore 2 monthly payments. Also dillinja is from Glasgow so STB BB isnt available to him.

gary_580
21-10-2003, 09:55

Because he said he has both? :p

gary_580
21-10-2003, 09:57
Also dillinja is from Glasgow so STB BB isnt available to him.

Ah thanks for the clarification, explains a lot. But if STB BB isnt available to him then how is he going to be able to have 2 broadband accounts?

Steve H
21-10-2003, 11:54
Ah thanks for the clarification, explains a lot. But if STB BB isnt available to him then how is he going to be able to have 2 broadband accounts?

He cant, He was saying if he did have STB BB available to him :)

dillinja
22-10-2003, 12:53

Anyway, No you cant.. There's no signal going to the STB, as its going to the CM.

Just a thought, since I can plug out my CM and move it to another cable location and get broadband (since it is just coming from a splitter from the sitting room) and AFAIK the PACE STB has an internal modem, what is stopping me from utilising that internal modem?

Dooby
22-10-2003, 14:04
Just a thought, since I can plug out my CM and move it to another cable location and get broadband (since it is just coming from a splitter from the sitting room) and AFAIK the PACE STB has an internal modem, what is stopping me from utilising that internal modem?

put simply, they work differently.
afaik, the STB modem 'connects' to a different head end or something, and also uses a different version of docsis ( not sure though ), but they definitely use different provisioning systems ( STB uses a web based thingy, SACM you plug in and reboot )

dillinja
23-10-2003, 12:19
put simply, they work differently.
afaik, the STB modem 'connects' to a different head end or something, and also uses a different version of docsis ( not sure though ), but they definitely use different provisioning systems ( STB uses a web based thingy, SACM you plug in and reboot )

Ahh, of course. I understand now. Thanks Dooby!
Its not a big job moving the modem into the other room to go online with ps2, just a pain in the arse! :)

Thanks guys!